Topic: Babyface longer USB 2.0 cable problems

hi there,

i've purchased two different 3 meter USB 2.0 cables and neither of them will work correctly with my Babyface. 

- the first cable wouldn't provide power to the babyface

- the second cable provided power but cannot seem to handle the bandwidth

- using A/C power with the first cable made it work, but unfortunately not reliably

the short cable provided by RME works flawlessly without needing to use the 2nd connector for power.

so my question is: is there anything i should look for when purchasing a longer USB 2.0 cable?  both of the cables i bought say "USB 2.0 High Speed" and 480 mbps.  they are two different manufacturers, but neither of them work correctly with the Babyface.

i love this device but i want it close to me to utilize the buttons and jog wheel.  i'm trying to avoid frustration by posting here before trying to buy my third cable. 

has anyone found a longer cable which works perfectly with the Babyface?

Re: Babyface longer USB 2.0 cable problems

no one is having cable issues but me?  i wonder how many cables i'll have to buy until i find one that works. 

i've resorted to putting the babyface further away from me with the original cable since any other cable i've tried doesn't work.  not ideal at all.

if anyone has purchased a longer usb cable that WORKS, please post your details here!

I can confirm that long and very cheap chinese USB cables will not let the Babyface work reliably. I have a 3 meter extension where the BF breaks down as soon as I switch on 48V. But it works reliable when I use the external power supply, with a total of 4 meter.

So before buying a higher priced cable that is supposed to work make sure you can give it back for full refund - in case it fails too. Alternatively a powered USB hub near the BF might work too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

hi matthias,

thanks for your input.  as mentioned, both of these cables didn't work correctly even with the external power supply.  they were both purchased from german (online) shops but maybe they got them from china to begin with. 

i'll just go to a local shop this time.

cheers

just an update:

i have now purchased two different Belkin 3m cables from Conrad and NEITHER of them work with my babyface.  one of them was a 15 euro "premium usb 2.0" cable. 

in addition, it seems that my RME breakout extension cable is faulty because i am experiencing the same midi-out ticking problems as this user: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10393

the ticking is present on my microphone input and is recorded along with the signal.  taking away the extension cable solves the issue.

i'm becoming a bit frustrated because i can't seem to locate a single 3m USB 2.0 which works with the babyface.  it may be in RME's best interest to source a compliant cable and offer it as an official accessory.

Ofcourse there may also be some electrical issue with your PC. The usb issues and ticking point to some shielding or grounding issues. I would try a different computer with those cables and see what happens.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Do you have a ohmmeter? I have tested all my USB cables after some problems with the Babyface connection. I think, I have found a generally trouble (that applies for other USB devices, too):

Most USB cables have non-rewire plugs with Insulation-displacement connectors (Schneidklemmtechnik) - not soldered. This connection may be good only with a sophisticated technology - not by a cheap production without carefully quality control testing. A new cable is working good, but after bending the cable many times, the connection is lost. 

My measurement result was more than 100 ohms for some lines or the screen, measured with measuring tips from plug to plug. Often I could manipulate the measured values by bending the cable. The cables with a printed manufacture label are generally a little bit better. All my cheap or accessories kit cables have had this problem more or less. (I have not tested the RME USB cable, it is still packed - has too much ends for me ;-)

I think, the quality of cable and plugs depends on the price, but the connection (above all the screen-connection) may be bad by expensive cables also.

If you can measure the line resistance, the power lines (longer pins in the plug) and the screen should have less the 0.5 Ohm - the data lines less than 1.0 Ohm. So works a longer 5m cable great as well! You must note, 2 wires with 0.5 ohms at 500mA power supply loses 0.5 volts - I think, this is the limit for each USB device! In the worst case the best and cheapest way for hobbyists is to solder a new replacement plug on the (worthwhile or expensive) cable.

joefox

It's not uncommon at all for USB devices to fail to work with longer cables. However, 3 meters is not all that long.

If you have a lot of other USB devices in use, this may be part of the problem. You might be able to try running the cable through a USB hub rather than straight from your computer.

I have USB keyboard, mouse, printer and with all them plugged in I have had trouble with certain peripherals. I needed to either use a powered hub or unplug the printer to get them to work.

If you are on a desktop PC then make sure to use the *back-side* USB ports, not any front-side ones.

I've got a Fireface UC and I've got it connected to my PC with a 3 meter USB 2 cable from Lindy. I've heard good stuff about their cables so I specifically went for their cables to do this. I also checked in the System settings to see whether the USB port I connected to was at the root and there was no other USB device on there.

The UC does not run bus-powered, so this is no valid comparison.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I now successfully tested a 10 meter USB cable. It is an active one, can be run with the above mentioned 3 meter extension plus the original BF one to a total of 14 meters. There is also a 15 meter version available. The only drawback is that USB power is not sufficient, so you have to use an external power supply for the Babyface.

While the below link points to the cable I tested, I expect most active USB 2 (watch out for the 2!) cables to work. 10 meters / 16 feet are below 20 bucks from various manufacturers.

http://www.pearl.de/a-PX8517-1413.shtml?vid=917

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've used to 20+ meters of USB cable without any hickups with RME UFX.

Products used:

- http://www.thomann.de/fi/lindy_usb_20_v … ro_12m.htm (12 meters)
- http://www.thomann.de/fi/lindy_usb_20_v … pro_8m.htm (8 meters)
- RME's own USB cable. I think this is like 2 or 3 meters long.

-J-

So, what is your motivation to use long USB cable?
Are you trying to place the computer and UFX far apart?
I'm also trying to do that in various ways, so I'm just curious.
20 meters is actually pretty good.

Do any of your USB cables have markings down the length of the USB cable? (like the babyface cable)

There are different standards to any cables, and just because they advertise what you hope it will be does not mean that it will be that kind of cable.
I had a 8 ft. cable with similar markings down the length of the cable and it worked fine. However now, I do not use a longer cable and use the original cable that came with the babyface and just decided to run longer balanced XLR cords into the Babyface from my musical equipment.

Masaaki: I'm using TotalMix FX as Front-of-house mixer. All my gear is at stage and i'm doing mixing of band from 20meters away from stage. All coming to 'front' is USB cable and laptop.

-j-

Very glad to find this thread, I'm about to order a Babyface with the intent of placing it 50 feet (15m) away from my computers. smile

jemaliahz, you say your UFX is working "without any hiccups," is it also working to its full potential? (high quality, low latency)

MC - will any old 12V power adapter work with the Babyface?

In order to place it 15 m away you might need to put some (powered) USB hub in between or use an "active" cable (which in essence is a USB hub).

CobraTrumpet: Well, I'm not transferring audio thru the USB so I don't know about the hickups thru USB. I'm using computer just to control Totalmix FX. But I don't see reason why it wouldn't work.

...and yes, active cable needed of course.

-J-

i'm very intrested in putting in long distance between UFX and computer, too. for audio recording. and totalmix control.

so, i would know if a kind of repeater or usb hub would do the job, i mean it seems to.

is there any specification to ask the usb hub / usb cable to meet ?

Hi
I bring back this topic to see if there are any updates regarding USB long cables? I'm not looking for an extension to the Fireface's USB cable but a long one.

Does anybody has a link to a suitable cable?

Thanks

I found this cable and wonder if it would work or not:
http://www.lindy.co.uk/3m-premium-usb-2 … 41583.html

(Lindy was mentioned by Marc JX8P)
Thanks

Repeaters work to re-establish proper signal levels that may have become degraded due to long cable runs. They don't necessarily have anything to do with boosting the power line's voltage that would also have dropped due to wire resistance. Also, the repeater will have used a small amount of extra power, making the power connection even less usable.

Therefore, long cable runs generally necessitate use of local power to the audio interface, regardless of whether repeaters are used or not.

On music hiatus, so RMEs have gone to homes where others can enjoy them.

An USB hub with external power-supply can help. Not only does it "repeat" the signal, but it also provides its own power to the extended lines.

Is there a USA version of this 'perfect' usb cable so I can order it?

Hi all
I have had no end of trouble with a cheap 3m usb 2.0 cable. At first my mic 3/4 inputs would not work. Then Totalmix went completely haywire. I then found out that I needed to have my mic 3 line coming from my ISA two and WA76 plugged in and switched on for the unit to even power up. It all changed when I switched to the supplied RME usb 2.0 cable.

Now Im also pondering what usb cable to get. Hoping things changed in the past  6 years or so. Assuming someone reads this post.

Regards
CeeJay

I have the

pro snake USB 2.0 Cable angled Right 1.8

from Thomann, unfortunately this is not available any longer. I am now looking for a 3 m cable with a right angled connector. When someone knows of a cable which works and you can order in Germany any pointer would be appreciated!