Topic: Is there any way to permanently disable M-32 A/d fan

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to permanently disable M-32 a/d fan and can this be bad for the unit in any way?

The fan is too loud, even if it is set to normal. My room temperature is around 22-26°c.
Even if I set fan speed to silent mode, it starts to spin after 30-60 minutes at full speed, even though my room temperature never exceeds 26°c.

I don't have noise (fan) related problems with my m-32 d/a unit, only with a/d.

Cheers
Simon

Re: Is there any way to permanently disable M-32 A/d fan

The noise must be identical when used in the same mode/rotation speed. If not check if they both blow the air in the same direction. We had a few units with reverse built in fan, which increases noise significantly.

Switching the fan off completely will cause high inner temperatures which affect SNR and lifetime of the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If the fan is reversed, please don't open the unit, as this may void your warranty. Please contact me by mail in this case.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

4 (edited by Unspoken 2011-07-14 08:20:05)

Hello,

the fan is not reversed. I just did quick 30 minutes test with both units.
These are the results after 30 minutes:
both fans set to normal mode
room temperature: 24°C
M-32 A/D - 42°C - fan speed 3
M-32 D/A - 38°C - fan speed 2

The noise on both units is the same in the same speed mode, only problem is, that A/D is getting hotter and thus fan is louder.

I will leave units on for one more hour and report back.

5 (edited by Unspoken 2011-07-14 09:39:33)

Ok, after 100 minutes not much difference. A/D still on speed 3 (44°c), D/A still on speed 2 (41°C).

The air coming out of both fans in not warm at all.

Any way to change factory fan with quieter one, without voiding the warranty?

Hello,
if there is a solution. Let me know. That would be a great step.
I'm not sure if RME has a general problem with heat generation. After several hours of working, my ADI-8 QSM is noticeable hotter than any other device. Even more than my amplifier. It still works, but I worry about...

Hopefully
Michael

Hosenpapa wrote:

Hello,
if there is a solution. Let me know. That would be a great step.
I'm not sure if RME has a general problem with heat generation. After several hours of working, my ADI-8 QSM is noticeable hotter than any other device. Even more than my amplifier. It still works, but I worry about...

Hopefully
Michael

My ADi-8QS (no MADI card) doesn't get very warm ... but it's sitting in an open rack with space around it.
Generally I think that studio devices that are not used remote controlled shouldn't have a fan at all.

I totally agree with you.
But sometimes its easier to leave the ad&da stuff, in this case M32, in front of the stage. And if you work more than 2 or 3 hours in a normal heated room, you can't control the fan. Don't get me wrong. I love the Sound of the RME stuff... especially the ADI-8. But if there is a list of things desired, that would be on top.

Sorry to bring back this old topic, but does anyone know if the fan issue has been solved since 2011?

I have just upgraded the studio with an HDSPe MADI FX card and an M32 AD. I knew it had a fan, but I never knew it was THAT loud.

I have set it to "silent" via MIDI Remote, without much help. When it kicks in, after 20-30 minutes, it just won't stop. Temperatures do not seem too high either. Not much over 40 degrees.

The fan is tiny though, like a 1U fan on a 2U box. Little use to have 117 dBA dynamic range in your converter when the acoustic self noise is 60 dBA smile

And no, I cannot move the converter outside my recording room.

If anyone would be interested in a straight swap with the fanless M16 AD, I would be all up for it!