Topic: I'm Having Trouble With The HDSP 9632 - Using Sonar 8.3.1

Hello - First time poster here. Hope everyone is well.

I recently purchased and installed an RME HDSP 9632. I'm mixing my first song with the HDSP 9632 - I'll work on the song for 15 minutes or so and then the sequencer freezes and stops responding. This has happened 6 or 7 times today. Any ideas on what could be causing this to happen?

I have listed my system specs below:

Using Driver Version 3.2.6.0
I've installed the Flash Update Tool for Hammerfall DSP System
Sonar 8.3.1
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
ASUS P5B Motherboard
Intel Quad Core CPU
4 gigs of Ram - (Using only 3 gigs as that's the max amount that my version of Windows XP will recognize)
No other Installed sound cards

I was using a Delta 66 for the last 7 or 8 years with no problems, so I'm pretty sure that the problem is not with my computer or sequencer.

Thank you - Any help is greatly appreciated.

Michael Liebau

Re: I'm Having Trouble With The HDSP 9632 - Using Sonar 8.3.1

Hi Michael,
Do you have any background applications that play audio alerts such as email, chat, antivirus?
Are you using WDM or ASIO?
What other PCI/PCI-e devices are installed?
What external USB/Firewire/ESATA devices are you using?
Is your system optimized for audio?
http://www.tweakhound.com/2011/07/26/tw … sp3-final/

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Hi Chris - Thanks for your response.

I have no background applications that play audio alerts such as email, chat, antivirus - I'm running a dedicated DAW that's not connected to the internet.

I've tried both the WDM or ASIO drivers - I'm having the same problem with both.

Other PCI devices that are installed are 2 UAD effects cards, a Video Card and a fire wire card.

I have no external USB/Firewire/ESATA devices that I'm using.

My system is optimized for audio - Keep in mind that I've run a MAudio Delta 66 on this DAW for the past 4 years with no problems.

Thanks Chris

Hi,
Are the 2 UAD cards the UAD-1 PCI-e or PCI versions?
As a test you might try removing those cards and see if this lock ups continue.
With the UAD cards it is best to operate above 256 buffer.
What recording software are you using?
What UAD driver version?
Are there any digital devices hooked up to the RME?

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Chris,

The 2 UAD cards are UAD-2 PCI-e cards.

I am operating above 256 buffer.

I'm using UAD driver version Version 5.9.0

I don't want to sound closed-minded and stubborn,  but I'd rather not remove the 2 UAD cards as a test - I'd rather go back to my MAudio Delta 66 which worked perfectly with my 2 UAD-2 cards. If I remove the UAD cards and my RME HDSP 9632 works, where does that leave me? I need the UAD cards as I have lots of ongoing projects using these plugins.

I'm using Sonar 8.3.1

There are no digital devices hooked up to the RME.

A couple of other notes:

I installed the HDSP 9632 in another PCI slot and I'm still having the same problem. The problem, to be more specific, is - While paying back a project, Sonar will do either 1 of 2 things:

1. It will drop-out and then when I press play, Sonar stops responding and I have to shut down and reboot
2. Sonar will just "lose" it's sound - It stops responding and I have to shut down and reboot

Thanks!

Hi,
Sorry to hear you are having much trouble with the HDSP 9632 card. It is very unusual to have problems with these cards.

No problems on the UAD-2. The older UAD-1 PCI-e cards were the ones I would have been worried about.
Do you have the Multi-threading Optimization and or Sonar compatibility options checked in the UAD control panel?
If this is happening with empty projects then the UAD settings will not effect things.

With Sonar do you have the share drivers with other programs checked? If so un-check it.
Have you customized any of the disk I/O buffer settings in Sonar?

Do you have the on board audio enabled and /or the software for it still installed?
This board used the Sound Max audio chip and it's driver software can cause trouble with some pro audio cards as long as the software is installed for it.

I have not ever used that P5B board. I do see allot of complaints about the JMicron IDE controller and audio on the web but that is the Deluxe version by the looks of it.

You also might want to try a different ASIO based program to see if the same thing is happening to clear up if it is specific to Sonar and this combination of computer hardware.
Reaper would be the easiest one to try.
Reaper
Here are instructions on how to setup the ASIO driver with an RME card.
How to Setup Reaper version 3/4 with an RME Audio Interface in Windows 7

If it is doing this with Reaper also then I test the RME card in a different system.
If the card is new I would exchange it with your dealer.
If it is used I would try cleaning the PCI contacts with a pencil eraser. Dirty/corroded contacts cause all kinds of weird behavior.

Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

I'm not sure, but doesn't the HDSP 9632 include the new multi-client ASIO driver option? What happens when you turn it off (if it's there)?

Hi Timur - Thanks for your response. I've tried turning off the multi-client ASIO driver option - Still have problems.

Have you considered the update to 8.53?

While OS tuning is certainly a good idea, the phenomena you describe do not sound to me like they could be solved that way... Since you said the issue is not reproducible with other software, it seems to be somehow related to Sonar, and not to the card's hardware... I believe a test without the UADs would be useful...

Have you gone through all available PCI slots?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Chris - I've tried all of those tweaks that you suggested - Still having the same problem.

The only thing that I didn't try that you suggested is trying a different ASIO-based sequence ala Reaper. I need to get this to work with Sonar as that's where all of my projects are created.

I appreciate your help on this.

-Mike

Daniel,

I didn't get the update to Sonar 8.5.3 as I felt I didn't need it.

I appreciate your thought about testing the UAD's, but I'm not going to do that as all of my projects have UAD plugins in them.

I tried every available PCI slot - Still having the same problem.

Any other suggestions? If not, it looks like I'll have to return the card and go back to using my MAudio Delta 66. The thing that bugs me the most is that my Delta 66 works fine with my system and this new/better sounding RME card is giving me problems. Very frustrating!

Thank you for your help.

-Mike

zwatrif wrote:

The only thing that I didn't try that you suggested is trying a different ASIO-based sequence ala Reaper. I need to get this to work with Sonar as that's where all of my projects are created.

Obviously, this is not meant to make you change the way you work, or the software you use. A test will help determine whether this is an issue of the card or of the software. With that knowledge, one could proceed further... Just a matter of helping us help you. If it were the software, you could reconsider about 8.53.

Also, you already told me you could not reproduce the issue with other software - what exactly were you referring to?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I managed to get a hold of a copy of Sonar 8.5.3 from a friend for testing purposes. Still had the same problem. :-(

I then tried removing every instance of UAD plugins on a particular project that I'm working on. (I did not remove the UAD cards themselves, just the plugin instances in this particular project.) The project seemed to have played better, but still did have a dropout. However, Sonar did not stop responding like it had been doing. I was able to stay in the project and restart the song, but only after I changed the playback and record I/O buffer sizes. It dropped out again after I changed the I/O buffer settings, but was able to get the project going again after I changed the 9632's buffer size. It dropped out again - So I changed the 9632's buffer size again and was able to get the project going again.

Any ideas of what's going on based on my testing

Thanks,

-Mike

Update - I removed the 2 UAD-2 cards from my computer as you suggested. Still having dropouts in Sonar 8.5.3. Some other points that I think are worth noting:

1. RME HDSP is assigned to it's own IRQ
2. When not using the plugins from my UAD cards or removing the cards from the computer, I still get dropouts. But Sonar doesn't freeze like it did when I was using the UAD plugins in the project.

I really want to use the 9632 as I know the sound is better than the MAudio Delta 66, but it doesn't seem like it's going to work for me. :-(

If you have any other suggestions, let me know. If not, it looks like I'll be returning the card.

Thanks for all of your help.

-Mike

So without the UADs, you just get dropouts, but the software won't stop responding?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes Daniel, that's correct. Without the UADs, I still get dropouts. But the software still responds and does not freeze up on me.

Hi Mike,
Other than the card malfunctioning some how it could be some other device interrupting the RME.
Video card or hard driver controllers are the more likely candidates to look at.

What video are you using on the system?
Try disabling the driver in device manager to see if this is still happening.
Yes you screen resolution will be lower but you should be able to raise it up to at least 1024x768 after you disable the driver.
This will be enough to test.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Chris,

My video card is HIS Radeon X1550. I will disable the video driver like you suggested and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Chris - How do I disable the video driver without disabling the card itself?

Hi Mike,
Just right clock on the Display Adapter in Device Manager.
This will unload the driver and then load the generic standard VGA driver built into windows.
The screen resolution will be kind of like being in safe mode.

Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Also try this: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1704
A visit to AMD for a graphics driver update might also be worth a try. No known issues with ATI cards, though, to the best of my knowledge.

Is this the PCIe, AGP, or PCI version of the HIS card?

Have you tried reducing colour depth? Are you using a very high screen resolution?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Disabled video driver - Still have dropouts.

My video card is using a PCI Express x16 slot.

I will try experimenting with color depth and screen resolution. If that doesn't work, then I'll see if there's an update for my video card.

I have a question about the Hammerfall DSP settings - What should the setting be for "Clock Source"?

Internal
Word Clock
ADAT In
SPDIF In

What about "Options"? Check this or leave it unchecked?

What about "Word Clock Out"? Check this or leave it unchecked?

All these options are explaiend in the manual.. Clock options only apply if you are connecting to external digital gear, which you did not mention.

What is the nature of these dropouts? Can you record them externally?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'm not connecting to external gear.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "What is the nature of these dropouts" and "Can you record them externally?"