Topic: Multiface not detected when Macbook Pro awakens from sleep

I just purchased the HDSPe Expresscard for my 17 inch Macbook Pro, which runs Lion. It is connected to a Multiface. Everything runs fine upon boot-up. However, when I let the computer go to sleep, and I turn off power to the Multiface, upon turning the power back on and awakening the computer, it will always detect the Multiface as the Digiface, and sometimes as simply the RME Expresscard. I have to shut the power off to the Expresscard, pull it out and reinsert it, and the Multiface is again detected.

I read on the forum of someone else having the same issue from 2009. You suggested changing the firewire cable. I was running your stock cable that was in the HDSPe box, but I switched the cable to another firewire cable and got the exact same result. Any other suggestions? Anyone else having similar issues?

Abid Hussain, AKA Nebulae
Ableton Certified Trainer

Re: Multiface not detected when Macbook Pro awakens from sleep

Here is an explanation what happens:

1) When you disconnect the Multiface from the HDSPe/FW cable either while the Mac is awake or asleep the red HOST LED on the MF will blink. The same happens when you send the Mac to sleep while the Multiface stays connected. Whenever you reconnect/wake the system in this blinking state the HDSPe will correctly re-detect the MF.

2) When you turn off the MF and turn it back on while the Mac is *awake* and then turn it back on the red HOST LED will burn solidly for a second and then turn off. While the Multiface is disconnected/turned off the HDSPe driver still runs in MF mode and only reports it as disconnected (properly so).

3) When you send the Mac to sleep and disconnect/turn off the MF before or while the Mac is sleeping and awake the Mac with the MF disconnected/turned off (aka only HDSPe card present) the HDSPe driver will report as "Digiface".

When you connect the MF afterwards the driver will still stay in "Digiface" mode even after detecting the box.

4) When you turn off the MF and turn if back on while the Mac is *asleep* then the red HOST LED will burn solidly and keep burning until you awake the Mac. The HDSPe driver will first report as "RPM" and only then connect to the MF. Because of this order the driver will stay in "RPM" mode even after detecting the box.

Workarounds

A) While the Mac is awake and the MF connected plug out the HDSPe and plug it back in. This is what you are already doing atm. Using the "Power off card" function is not mandatory, but may prevent sporadic freezing of the Mac.

B) While the Mac is asleep plug out the HDSPe and plug it back in *after* the Mac is woken up. This saves you the use of the "Power off card" function and generally might be more healthy electrically.

C) After you reconnect the MF (red HOST LED off) and see the HDSPe report the wrong "RPM" or "Digiface" model, send the Mac back to sleep and wake it up again. Upon wake up the HDSPe driver will correctly run in "Multiface" mode because the box already was connected when you send the Mac to sleep (blinking HOST LED, see 1).

3 (edited by nebulae 2011-11-07 17:48:34)

Fantastic, Timur, a great explanation all the way around, as usual smile I'll use the workarounds and report back. Thanks!!!!

One quick question - in the workarounds, when you say "Plug out" do you mean turn the power off to the MF, or do you mean pull out the expresscard?

5 (edited by Timur 2011-11-07 17:57:35)

Workarounds A + B mean to plug out the HDSPe card, just the way you do it now. Only difference between A and B is that you plug it out while sleeping in B.

Workaround C is the one where you don't have to plug anything. Just hit ALT+CMD+EJECT on your Mac keyboard to send the Mac to sleep then hit any other key to wake it up again. But that one stresses the internal components (especially the HD has to spin down and spin up).

Based on my tests I send some suggestion to Matthias about working around this matter on driver level. If this is even possible I cannot tell, though.

BTW: I tested on Snow Leopard, so it's not a Lion thing, but rather a thing of how the MF and the HDSPe (+driver) can communicate with each other.

Just to stress this for anyone else reading: There are no problems when the Multiface is not turned off during when the Mac is asleep and there are no problems when the Multiface is turned off when the Mac is awake. Only the combination of turning the MF off while the Mac is asleep causes this inconvenience.

I'm always rather wary about the combination of audio and suspend/sleep modes. Too much can go wrong there and it should never be used right before a live gig. You won't grow old waiting a few seconds for your Mac to boot-up properly.

PS: I'm currently testing a new eSATA card that doesn't even support hot-plugging the card in while OS X is running, you need to plug it in before booting OS X (or use bootcamped Windows, which surprisingly works with hot-plugging the very same card in the very same Mac).

One other question: May I just leave the MF plugged in all the time and not power it off? I don't mind the red light flashing, but I get worried that I'll shorten its life if it's left on all the time. That way, whether the mac is asleep or not doesn't really matter.