51 (edited by zapyz 2012-02-12 11:49:47)

Re: TouchOSC with Totalmix/FF UFX

MC wrote:

- missing level meters. This is a limitation of TouchOSC, and if you want to have it maybe a friendly post in the author's forum makes sense.

Hello,

I'm a new happy Fireface UCX customer!
The support of OSC was definitely a big part of the decision! ;-)

Do you plan to send level meter information from TotalMix FX, even if it is not supported by TouchOSC?
I looked at the command list, and didn't find it.

I would be very happy about that addition in a future TotalMix FX update!
I'm also a iOS developer and would be glad to be able to receive this crucial information.
That would also be nice in order to build a physical VU-Meter for the analog inputs.

Thank you for this awesome forward-pushing support of your interfaces!

Cyrille

PS: If there would be enough interest I might develop an iPad app for that, with level meters, more friendly UI (similar to TotalMix), "usual" behavior of virtual rotary pots etc...
But then some other key commands are missing, like the information about the availability of Phantom Power in order to hide the button.

Very big interest in a TM Remote-App here!!

zapyz wrote:

PS: If there would be enough interest I might develop an iPad app for that, with level meters, more friendly UI (similar to TotalMix), "usual" behavior of virtual rotary pots etc...

Yeah, lots of interest here too! :-) (eventhough I'm still waiting for the release of iPad 3 before I get one).
I'm sure others are interested as well, even if they don't say it out loud here on the forums!

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

zapyz wrote:

Yes please!

Are the Direct USB record functions controllable via MIDI or OSC?  I could not find any info...

No, and this is intentionally. This is not a tape machine, it is a long-term logger, which doesn't need to be switched on/off or configured all the time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

zapyz wrote:
MC wrote:

- missing level meters. This is a limitation of TouchOSC, and if you want to have it maybe a friendly post in the author's forum makes sense.

Hello,

I'm a new happy Fireface UCX customer!
The support of OSC was definitely a big part of the decision! ;-)

Do you plan to send level meter information from TotalMix FX, even if it is not supported by TouchOSC?
I looked at the command list, and didn't find it.

I would be very happy about that addition in a future TotalMix FX update!
I'm also a iOS developer and would be glad to be able to receive this crucial information.
That would also be nice in order to build a physical VU-Meter for the analog inputs.

Thank you for this awesome forward-pushing support of your interfaces!

Cyrille

But then some other key commands are missing, like the information about the availability of Phantom Power in order to hide the button.

Don't forget about Android then wink

OSCAR for Android and iOS with TotalMixFX templates: http://www.oscar-app.de

MBmusic wrote:

Very big interest in a TM Remote-App here!!

me too!

android would be nice!

neirbod wrote:
zapyz wrote:

Yes please!

+1

Android oder iPad App - egal ... beides wäre perfekt!!!

Oh, thanks for the interest into a dedicated app! I will think about that.

@MC: Did I miss an implementation of the level meters in the current OSC support or are there any plans towards this direction?

63 (edited by MBmusic 2012-03-23 18:03:00)

About the level meters and rotary:

I talked to the guys at hexler and the rotary problem will be fixed in a week or so:

Quote:
"Oh and the update with the fix for the Rotary
control problem has been submitted today, so
judging from my experience with Apple review
times, it should be out in about a week."

The meter problem is no problem, as we only need to know which midi commands are responsible:
Quote:
"You can achieve this by placing additional Fader controls behind a
Fader and displacing them a bit to "stick out" from behind that Fader.
That's the way the LiveControl templates do this, have a look:
http://hexler.net/gfx/_software/touchosc-11.png

and
"So the unit has to send the meters via midi commands to to the programmed
fader, right?

Yes, it's possible using either MIDI and OSC (or both).
The LiveControl layout uses OSC while the Traktor layout
does the same using MIDI."

and finally

"And again a video demonstrating the same but with
Native Instruments Traktor, notice the two faders in
the upper part of the layout showing the output levels
of both channels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5K-0GcA5pw

Check this video at about 0:20 to see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xwLO2lErNA"

RME, please update your wonderful TouchOSC template so we can see the level meters in each block (input/playback/Outs).

Thank you very much.

MB

So in terms of building a template in the Touch OSC Editor, can anyone tell me how to:

- Make a fader to control the volume of "Software Output 1/2" in "Hardware Output AN3" for my UFX unit?

Essentially I want to set up 4 pages on my iPhone that control 4 separate mono in-ear mixes.

I can seem to get a single fader working to control "Hardware Input 1/2" on the "Main" or "AN 1/2" sub-mix, but can't seem to progress past that. I'd really appreciate a step-by-step of the TouchOSC Editor settings if anyone has worked it out.

Thanks

Hi I am wondering if there is still the touch OSC Template by MC available for download somewhere. The link in this thread leads to a error 404 - file not found " The requested URL /download/totalmixfx_0970beta2mac.zip was not found on this server." -

Also I am looking for a midi implementation sheet for the Fireface UC and totalmix. I want to generate a template on the Novation remoteSL so that I can control the FF UC easy on stage in stand alone mode.

Thx in advance. Best Sal Ban

Sal Ban wrote:

Hi I am wondering if there is still the touch OSC Template by MC available for download somewhere. The link in this thread leads to a error 404 - file not found " The requested URL /download/totalmixfx_0970beta2mac.zip was not found on this server." -

Okay I finally found the final thread - for future seekers check this out here - http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14665

But still it would be great to get a detail midi implementation chart.

Also I am looking for a midi implementation sheet for the Fireface UC and totalmix. I want to generate a template on the Novation remoteSL so that I can control the FF UC easy on stage in stand alone mode.

Thx in advance. Best Sal Ban

MC wrote:

So for anyone interested here are the TouchOSC screenshots from my iPad with the upcoming Windows beta version of TM FX, including phantom power and such.

[img align=L]https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tosc_002.png[/url]

[img align=L]https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tosc_003.png[/url]

[img align=L]https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tosc_004.png[/url]

Hi,

I am a new user of a RME Fireface UC and tried to control
it with TouchOSC. Everything works fine, but the snapshots don't
react. I have seen in your screenshots, that you are using snapshots to.
Could you please tell me, what settings could be the problem.

I used a multipush button (1 vertical row of 8 buttons).
In OSC there "auto" is not activated and in the path is "/1/snapshots".
Value Range ist From 0 To 1.
"Local feedback off" is activated.
Controls: 1 to 8.

Thx in advance,
Karl

The current OSC interface is page oriented. Snapshots are only available in page 3, so you would need to send "/3/snapshots..." as mentioned in OSC table.

Regards,

Ralf
RME

Dear all,

How can I change to other tracks to use the commands from page 2? I used track+ and track- but that seems not to work all the time.... I started of controlling MIC 1 for example but could not get back to it. It seems to wander between AN 4 and AS 1/2 or something. Maybe a bug? Or is there a direct command to this?

(I use MAXMSP to control TM)

Best, Hans.

Ralf wrote:

The current OSC interface is page oriented. Snapshots are only available in page 3, so you would need to send "/3/snapshots..." as mentioned in OSC table.

Regards,

Ralf
RME

Hi Ralf,

I figured it out last night, when I just copied the snapshot settings of one of the demo layouts.
I always thought, that the page number doesn't matter.

Thanks anyway!

Kind regards,
Karl

tzigularov wrote:

Are the Direct USB record functions controllable via MIDI or OSC?  I could not find any info...

I know the response was that this is not the case (5/2012).
Is there any change of this to become controllable. Than we could just switch the recording of by midi if it is not necessary log the tracks and switch on again when breaktime or whatever is up

That is available in OSC since 5/2012, and part of the iPad templates.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, great, thanks for the reply. I did not realize that, sorry. I will check

i am considering buying an android tablet in next few days.. i am using UFX as a mixer at small gigs and want to be able to make some mix adjustments wirelessly... i had a couple of questions..

1. Does the templates made for touchOSC on iPad work for touchOSC on Android ? Anybody tried them ?
2. Is there any features in totalmix which touchOSC is unable to replicate ? The main thing i want to do is simply adjust EQ for main stereo outputs from out from of the PA (the UFX is on stage).. I may need to do some other stuff from time to time also but just wondering what limitations i may encounter.

any other touchOSC/Android feedback would be welcomed also.. Just about everything ive seen refers to iPad/iPhone so im wondering how well the same setup runs with Android tablet..

touchOSC is not the best choice on Android.

I would recommend to look at osc-commander (very good templates and focus on totalmix - including graphics for EQ which iPad doesn't have).

I hadnt seen OSC commander, thanks for pointing that out.. I went ahead and got an android tablet and its working with touch OSC ok so far. I think touch OSC got updated to improve Android performance not that long ago.. I'll try commander also..

Hello touchOSC users!
I just built a new totalmix template for iPhone3/4. I found the existing ones unusable for me, because the faders are too small to adjust the levels precisely. So I built a vertical version with long scale faders for all important values. You can control everything just with you left hand, which is very useful for me if I use it for my own bands, because I can check my Instrument with the other hand. If you find it useful you can download it here:

http://www.azuleo.de/Jonas/download/tot … uchosc.zip

http://www.azuleo.de/Jonas/bilder/IMG_0839.jpg

http://www.azuleo.de/Jonas/bilder/IMG_0840.jpg

http://www.azuleo.de/Jonas/bilder/IMG_0841.jpg

http://www.azuleo.de/Jonas/bilder/IMG_0842.jpg

http://www.azuleo.de/Jonas/bilder/IMG_0843.jpg

http://www.azuleo.de/Jonas/bilder/IMG_0844.jpg

http://www.azuleo.de/Jonas/bilder/IMG_0845.jpg

Im new to this…

I have downloaded the touchOSC Editor and also downloaded the templates but when I click around in the editor there is no routing, I had hoped I could start fooling around with a template but there is no Notes or midi control showing up in those templates posted above, am I missing something ?

3 Questions,

1. I have done an announcer unit with talkback features and lots of controlling without hassle. However If I load one of those templates posted above everything works perfectly, but looking at them in the editor none uses midi notes or OSC messages /1/volume1 etc. so I simply wonder how the template actually works when I can't see the scripting/programming in the editor, does that mean I can't "steal" someones work, just the layout itself ? Looking shortcuts if possible smile

2. I can control Totalmix from my IPAD and everything works, but not the other way around, if I move fades in Totalmix my IPAD do not respond, where do I start troubleshooting ?

3. Could someone give me an example of a OSC string to control let say the 1st Input fader ? I can do it with Midi ch1 CC number 102.

Thanks!!

TouchOSC 1.7.0
Totalmix 1.08
MAC OS 10.8.5
TouchOSC Bridge 1.3

anyone ???

Hi.

Iam thinking about using ipads as a 'headphone mixer'. (instead of buying external hardware behringer mixers like everyone else does and behriger BCF2000 are more expensive then an ipad2 these days)

I got OSC running and I can control the totalmix software. Great!

But when using the pre-defined OSC template everytime I change something in the totalmix software then the ipad mixer changes to another page. At the moment I can't figure out how to make my own template... but I will try to look more into it.

The idea is to just have 9 faders (1-8 and 1 masterfader) with signals like drums, bass, keys, vocals and master volume for the headphones. 5 people would have an ipad and they just have the 9 faders... without multiple pages and things like that.

Would that be possible?
Or are 4 ipads the maximum which is possible?

Like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29658831/OSC1.jpg

Thanks,
Roelli.

Roelli wrote:

But when using the pre-defined OSC template everytime I change something in the totalmix software then the ipad mixer changes to another page.

Deactivate all entries under "Submix linked to OSC Control" to get Submix independent iPad Controllers!

Roelli wrote:

4 OSC devices are Maximum.

Roelli wrote:

Hi.

The idea is to just have 9 faders (1-8 and 1 masterfader) with signals like drums, bass, keys, vocals and master volume for the headphones. 5 people would have an ipad and they just have the 9 faders... without multiple pages and things like that.

Would that be possible?

Thanks,
Roelli.

You can have 4 people connected which is one less than you would like.. However the larger problem is there's currently no way to setup your OSC templates so each individual person only controls their own mix..

For instance if you give person 1 an OSC file and he opens it on iPad, it still needs to have a way for his submix to be selected because when the file loads it wont immediately load his mix.. in order to be able to have a way to select his mix it means you need a scroll button but that means he can also select other peoples mixes and if chooses the wrong one can change other peoples monitors accidently... This problem is amplified when you have 4 people all trying to control their own levels with the possibility that any one of them could change to the wrong submix and screw up someone else etc..

This problem is fixed if totalmix gets global OSC control which allows you to make an OSC file for each user that only accesses their own submix so as soon as they load the file its automatically corresponding to their submix and any changes they make on faders 1-8 will only affect their monitor.

Problem with this is totalmix doesn't currently have global OSC control, its been talked about for 2-3 years.. RME previously indicated it would happen but the update has never arrived.

Thanks for your informations!

Hmm.
Iam just trying to find the best way to make a headphone mix for the musicians.
To me the best solution would be if the guy at the mixing desk/daw can control the mix AND the musician.

Problem:
Most of the time the musicians can't setup a good headphone mix so then it's better that the guy at the mixing desk will control it, or just give them the control room mix. The thing is... the musician always wants to hear himselfs just a bit louder then all other musicians. 

Question:
How do other people make their headphone mixes?

These solutions came into my mind:

Using an analog desk in the control room. Like in the old days. Some pre aux potentiometers... = 6 mono headphone amps.
Advantage: No latency, you can add reverb easily (for the singer)
Disadvantage: When working with a daw and an analog desk you have to write down on the analog desk where which input signals are... and do the same in the daw.
The musician can't make their own headphone mix.
With an analog desk chances are thats something doesn't work. (240 analog potentiomaters are used for 40 input channels and 6 mono aux sends)

Using analog desk in the recording room.
Advantage: The musician can make their own headphone mix, No latency
Disadvantage: The guy in the control room can't control the headphone mix.
You have to make 6 "submixes" for the headphone mixes. (6 pre aux sends) which needs to be send to 5 small analog desks (one for every musician)

Using the Totalmix Software:
Advantage: No Latency
Disadvantage: The musican can't control their own mix. And it's hard to make the headphone mix in totalmix... at least if you did not replaced the channel numbering (1,2,3,...) with real names (kick SM91, kick D112, Snare Top, Snare Bottom...)
There is no reverb. (iam using the madiface USB which does not have "fx")

Using direct monitoring in the daw:
That seems to be the best solution maybe. The channel numbering is always there which gives a good overview.
As far as I know the direct monitoring is latency free because the daw mixer control the asio routing? (I will check that today, as there is not that much information on the internet about it and every engineer iam talking about it doesn't seem to know it)

Ideas:
Maybe it's possible to control the cubase mixer over midi/osc...
In the daw a submix needs to be done first. (drumbus, vocals, git, bass, keys...) then every musican will control the aux prefader of this submix with a controller. (I haven't found any rotary motor potentiometer device with 9 potentiometers so far, which would be great for this)

Somehow I feel that there is no easy and no 'best' solution for the headphone mix. Which is strange... because it is needed in every recording situation.

I wanted to make my studio so that EVERYONE can use it EASILY.
Plug in the USB connector... and go.

Thanks,
Roelli.

ebulb wrote:

However the larger problem is there's currently no way to setup your OSC templates so each individual person only controls their own mix..

That's not right!

For sure you can set up separate submixes (headphone-mixes) for up to 4 users over OSC (+ additional 4 users over MIDI). There are several TouchOSC templates with the ability to select a submix within a mixer page (e.g. those I created for iPhone5). You could even name your output channels (e.g. Peter, Paul, Mary…) to make it easy for each musician to select his "own" output once a time or at the beginning of the sessions. If your personal outputs are fixed, you could even create a special button in every template, that individually activates the personal submix by submitting a fixed submixselect value. After selecting everyone's submix, all inputs and playback channels can be mixed individually.

86 (edited by loonypac 2015-10-08 10:26:27)

Roelli wrote:

To me the best solution would be if the guy at the mixing desk/daw can control the mix AND the musician.

Exactly this can be done with TotalMixFX + OSC + MIDI/Mackie

Roelli wrote:

Problem:
Most of the time the musicians can't setup a good headphone mix so then it's better that the guy at the mixing desk will control it, or just give them the control room mix. The thing is... the musician always wants to hear himselfs just a bit louder then all other musicians.

No problem, if every musician has his own controller (OSC or MIDI)

loonypac wrote:
ebulb wrote:

However the larger problem is there's currently no way to setup your OSC templates so each individual person only controls their own mix..

That's not right!

For sure you can set up separate submixes (headphone-mixes) for up to 4 users over OSC (+ additional 4 users over MIDI). There are several TouchOSC templates with the ability to select a submix within a mixer page (e.g. those I created for iPhone5). You could even name your output channels (e.g. Peter, Paul, Mary…) to make it easy for each musician to select his "own" output once a time or at the beginning of the sessions. If your personal outputs are fixed, you could even create a special button in every template, that individually activates the personal submix by submitting a fixed submixselect value. After selecting everyone's submix, all inputs and playback channels can be mixed individually.

The goal is to ensure that a musician is totally unable to access another musicians submix  so when they load their template all they can see is their own monitor mix without any ability to access anyone else.. A scroll button to flick through each submix until the musician accesses their name isn't good enough because someone will inevitably start changing levels before they realise they didn't select their mix first by which time they have already screwed up someone elses mix. Also usually what someone will do when they cant hear a change they are making is turn the volume up and try and notice the change...  can you imagine person A cranking the hell out of a vocal mic that they think is their mix and meanwhile its affecting person B in ears 20 feet away and blowing their ears off..

Please... If you can show me a fool proof way of making 4 individual OSC templates that automatically load each different submix as soon as the template loads, without needing to initialise anything and with no capability of changing anyone elses submix or affecting anything else on the UFX,  I will welcome it cause that's exactly what I need myself.. I spent a fair bit of time with that task around 2 years ago and didn't achieve this outcome, I will be happy to be proved wrong.

At least you need one person that knows Totalmix and is able to setup the whole system. This person can initialize 4 devices before starting to work and give every device ready to go to those fools who don't know anything about submixes and TotalMix. They should be able to work with faders. The TouchOSC templates for those people only should have 8 faders for their headphone-mix + 3 switches: 1. personal submix-button with fixed value to not be able to change the submix but only to initialize by the one non fool person at the session start 2. Input select 3. Playback select. For those fools, who have the ability to understand and read their names, you could add a fourth button for the Outs to give control over their headphone volume. wink

In my eyes a fool proof way with only cabling and switching power on is an illusion. You always need at least one person with knowledge, who knows what he does. That's my experience over many years.

the fool proof solution is called global OSC control and its just down to RME to add this feature..

in my experience the button with fixed value for selecting the submix had problems and wasn't a great solution.. I cant recall exactly what happened as it was 2 years ago when I was playing around with it but if you have a touch OSC template for tablet that can do what you are saying please let me download it and I will take a look...

I haven't any simplified template, because I don't need it (all my artists are specialists and don't have problems in working with full featured templates big_smile)

I will create one, it seems to be easy. I will try until next week…

I noticed that I can only use the talkback system of the Totalmix for the 4 Headphone Outs?

Thats not good. 4 Headphone mono Outs or two Stereo Headphones is not enough. A Band will come to my studio and they need 5 stereo headphone mixes.
I could of course make a headphone mix (because I have 32 analog outs) but then the talkback will not be hearable at the other headphone mixes.

It seems that I need a workaround here:
Either use one Headphone Out and connect it after the DAC directly to one channel (ADC) back to the Totalmix Software and add this channel to all other outputs.
Or making a small relais box which switches the Talkback mic, Listenback mic and dims the Control Room by -20dB.

Iam testing a behringer X32 core module now... so I can send 16 headphone outs or 8 stereos.
I can also add compressor, gate, fx to the monitormix AND I can add iphones or ipads so that everyone has his own headphone mixer and even the scribble scrip is beeing send to the musicians ipads or iphones.

Ah... and I fixed the USB problems I had with the madiface USB. It was impossible to record or playback ANYTHING for more then 1 second without dropouts. I reinstalled windows... but the problem was just the WIFI! I switched of the wifi adapter and everything was totally fine.
(shitty macbook pro!)

Thanks,
Roelli.

And you did not notice the button '+Talkback' in all the output channels?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

And you did not notice the button '+Talkback' in all the output channels?

No. :-(

Sorry Matthias. You're right. Of course - it works like this.
Note to self: RTFM! ;-)

Now I have to figure out how to switch the speakers in the drumbooth and the studio on and off.
Normally the talkback should be routed to the headphones only.
But in some situations (if people don't have their headphones on or if you want to record a choir)
it's good to be able to talk through the headphones AND the studio speakers.

Maybe I just have to make a small hardware switch to switch the speakers on and off.
And/or make a small circuit to switch the talkback as well:
I just tried to make a rough layout for a 'hardware solution' of the talkback on/off switch:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/296 … ckunit.pdf

(reason for this is... I want to use the talkback even if I would use my analog console and tape recording)

Thanks,
Roelli.

I don't understand that. The studio speakers are where the talkback mic is, so these spakers should not get the studio mic signal - or feedback will occur.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME