Topic: Fireface 400 Blue screens and driver trouble

Hello all,
I write today to seek help with regular crashes (blue screen at once per session which means daily!) using my Fireface 400 on my windows 7 machine. MB is AMD quad core, 6 gb ram, TI chipset firewire card.  RME Driver is currently 3047. ( I have tried the 3067 same issue) DAW is Reaper. I get IRQ not less than equal frequently and the occasional Windows Driver Framework error.
Here is where I am truly in need of your help.  When I open Device Manager I see that under IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller two devices: 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller and beneath that I have Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller. I have disabled the TI selection (that I have been using) in an attempt to use the Legacy selection. Upon reboot however the computer does not recognize the RME device (red light stays on). I have read here and other places that the Legacy is the one to try.  I have tried both enabled and the machine crashes regularly. How do I get the legacy to work?  I hope it might solve the problem. Or any other suggestions you may have.
Second: I can just about guarantee a crash  by opening window Media Player or trying to import CD audio into a project. I don't do that often but it usually elicits a crash.
Please give me some guidance. One last thing I do have a wireless internet conx but the conflicts occur even when it is disabled.

Thank you.
WR Sevier

Re: Fireface 400 Blue screens and driver trouble

Disabling FW is not the way to do this... See http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9827

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you for your reply. I am sorrry that I was not more specific in my original post. I did in fact do just that after reading that post a few weeks ago. What did happen was the computer did not recognize the RME unit. I was very puzzled b/c the usual answer to the "not recognized issue" is that you have 1. bad cable, 2. bad unit and I forget the third one right now but none of those answers seemed valid as I have good cable, good unit. I probably did not re-nstall the latest RME driver properly. 

One more question, If I have the legacy driver available as a choice (re-enabled) what do I do with the other choice TI 1394 Host controller? Disable it?  I am sorry for my ignorance.  Thank you.

There should be only one driver, so do you have 2 cards or 1 card and onboard firewire?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Before I answer that let me make sure I understand what I have.  When in device manager under 1394 Bus Host controller there are 2 sub headings (when you click and expand). One is the 1394 legacy host controller and the other is the TI host controller.  BTW the Ti chip is on a PCI card. So would this be best described as one on-board and one card? Sorry to be dense this is similar but new and different tha my PCI experience so I am a little unsure of the corrrect way to answer.

OK I gave this a little more thought, I do have one on-board and one via card (that requires its own driver). There is no device attached to the on board hardware port.

Did you ever try that one? So connect physically to the onboard? Could work 100%.
That would be the first thing to try. If that works reliably, just remove the TI card. There is no other advantage to TI then that it is more likely to work, which it doesn´t in this case.
If it doesn´t work, disable the onboard firewire in the bios and it will disapear from device manager. That will prevent future confusion. Then you will probably realise you never used the TI in legacy mode, if I read your posts correctly
Good luck!.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Soryy to get back so late. First I will try adjusting the bios to remove the on-board option and give the TI card another shot.  If that doesn't work I will try the on board and not the card. You are right I probabaly have never actually used the Legacy mode. LOL.  BTW- The Ti card was originally installed for use with a Motu-ultralite that hated the onboard. Thanks for your help.

Thank you all for your help. I re-installed/updated al drivers (correctly I hope) and all seems well using the TI card. Let me run this for a few sessions and see if the problem re-occurs.

Ok, hello again. I still think I have done something wrong and once again I apologoze for lack of knowlege. Should the latest driver have an x86 root path or should it it in the regular Program folders?  Mine is currently in the C:program files/x86.  Does it matter where the thing is stored? Seems like it should not because once it is installed it resides in the system drivers.Just wondering.

Also when the computer crashes it is traced to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fireface_64.sys. The mini dump analysis gave me this:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fireface_64.sys (fireface_64+0xA6CD)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002E0C7F7)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fireface_64.sys
product: Windows (R) Win 7 DDK driver
company: RME
description: Fireface Audio Driver (WDM)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: fireface_64.sys (Fireface Audio Driver (WDM), RME).
Google query: fireface_64.sys RME IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Mon 2/27/2012 1:26:23 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022612-15927-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002E0E7F7)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Anyway I will move back to the legacy driver not the Ti chip. This is making me crazy.

Now I am losing my mind:

I decided to go to the legacy driver and ff newest driver dwonload (had it already but got it again). Here is what I got.

Red light (normal at this point?). opened device manager selected 1394 legacy. Click update driver, choose Browse my computer, chose "let me pick etc", Click have disk, Prompted to choose "have disk. I chose install from disk,Chose "copy manufacturers items form, C:\Program files\rme\winfire 3067 clicked OK.

"the folder you have specfied doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder  contains a driver  make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64 based sysytems"

What am I doing wrong?  I know it is something simple.

Please disregard last post but not 2nd to last.

I have this exact same problem.

Running Windows 8 on my DAW. The problem is definitely my RME Fireface 400 unit as when it is unplugged I have left the computer on for 48 hours with no crash!

RME, have you fixed this issue or are you still burying your heads in the sand, blaming users systems or blocking us?

I have had this problem for fours years and I can't believe I have still not found a way to fix the issue.

14 (edited by lucaviallibeats 2014-01-09 14:24:55)

i'm experiencing alot of BSOD due the Fireface400 driver on my windows7 64bit to. I can't seem to find the driver update for Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller...

guys it is killing me too !
I am having bsod too along with a non-stopping  beep in ff400 side that continues even when I shut down the PC .
for me the same mostly in restart I see that the PC does not recognize the f4400.
the card is pretty useless for me and we definitely need to find a solution for this