1 (edited by Francesco84 2012-03-30 21:40:10)

Topic: Hdspe AIO noise when using Cubase and VST instruments

Hello,

I've been using a RME Hdspe AIO for 2 weeks and I have noise/hiss headphone (only) issues in Cubase when using VST Instruments (there's no noise with just Cubase open). What could the problem be? Please help I have bought this interface after dreaming about it for a long time but now I'm very upset about this..

Francesco

Re: Hdspe AIO noise when using Cubase and VST instruments

Francesco84 wrote:

Hello,

I've been using a RME Hdspe AIO for 2 weeks and I have noise/hiss headphone (only) issues in Cubase when using VST Instruments (there's no noise with just Cubase open). What could the problem be? Please help I have bought this interface after dreaming about it for a long time but now I'm very upset about this..

Francesco

What VST instruments are you using? Do you get noise with just music playback?

Also some information about your system would be helpful, and driver/firmware version.

Isaac P

3 (edited by Francesco84 2012-03-31 14:56:25)

Hi Isaac,

thanks for the answer. Not, not just with playback. I am using the latest firmware/driver version (Version 3.27). My system is brand new, I just built it:

- Asus p9x79 Deluxe (LGA 2011)
- Intel i7 3960x
- PowerColor SCS3 AX6850 1GBD5-S3DH Radeon
- CoolerMaster 800w PSU

etc.

I use several VST instruments: Kontakt 5, Ivory 2 etc. I noticed that the noise also gets higher when I add a reverb to the mixer (QL Spaces). The noise is also there when I have other applications or games running. sad

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you use balanced or unbalanced cables ?

I tried with both, nothing changed. It's pretty much the same problem many complained about.. the noise is there for applications, games, when scrolling up/down with the mouse etc.

Ok I managed to solve the issue following pumin suggestion. Previously I send the card back to repair and didn't fix the issue at all. Headphones noise was always there, independent of the headphone quality.
[img align=r]https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=86a627621d8bdfe3&sc=photos&id=86A627621D8BDFE3%21161[/img]
Just isolate the card from touching the metal case parts, except the pci slot.

Thanks manasseh, is that a picture that you posted? I am not able to see it, will you be so kind to upload it and share the link? Thanks

8 (edited by manasseh 2012-07-24 16:40:14)

hdspe AIO noise fix (Photo credit to forum user pumin)

Ok thanks! I'll try this and see if it works

You get the ideia! Here's mine: AIO duct tape isolation

11 (edited by cliffhanger 2012-08-15 18:14:55)

I tried that fix and it doesn't work for me.. I've got a lot of noises like sine wave, digital harshing noise, white noise and helicopter noise...I have this problem since i upgraded to Intel SB-E X79(It's the Intel DX79TO MB). On my old AMD 790X rig, there wasn? any noises (It was a Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 MB). My motherboard is grounded by screws of course. I dont't know what to do. I really like this card about the latency performance but this makes me crazy.

How old is your card, cliffhanger?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I bought it 12.03.2012, so it's 5 months old. I have the default unbalanced cable. If i will buy the balanced cable, can it make a difference to this problem?

It's absolute ridiculous to have to make these home made mods.
I too have this issue, but haven't made the change yet. I will have too, coz RME will not be accountable for their product.
If you buy a new car and find that the cruise doesn't switch off. You report it. If the same model has a problem across the world, the manufacturer will offer a recall because it could be life threatening.
Well this is life threatening. Life without my music is deadly.
After the same concern expressed to Support, this is their answer:
"Hello,
I'm afraid I can not really offer standard solutions on removing ground loop issues - please try Google.
Regards"
I'm gonna smash something

Horsegip, if this were a general issue of the card, we'd know about it... However, it isn't.
In the cases above, it seems more likely to be related to the PC case (no pun intended)...

Whether or not these measures will help you remains to be determined. It may be an external ground loop issue after all, for which we can not offer standard solutions, I'm afraid - as stated in my mail.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

This is my/our concern Support.
I can test my PC for ground loops, with or without card installed.
All I asked (which is only affecting the soundcard), what can I test next? Not Google
I have a multimeter and can follow technical drawing's. We don't have schematics and neither does Google.
Because the card is acting up, direct us to prove that it is not the soundcard. I/we will accept that.
We can then move on, without bothering you.
But, if it is proven that it is the card in my or other users cards situations, what will you offer to us?

It is easy to proof that it is not the card - the card doesn't cause all the interferences/noise/crap coming from the computer. Since the introduction of PCI Express motherboard manufacturers seem to have problems or just don't notice how much garbage they put on the power lines and ground around PCIe. Some motherboards are clean, some are a catastrophy. The combination with power supply and case can change the effect too, for the good and the bad.

There is no way to build an EMI certificated digital audio card that is isolated from the chassis. So if this workaround helps one or the other, no problem, but we can only build (and sell) the card according to the current laws.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm revisiting this 5 year old thread because I've just suffered from a similar problem than Francesco84 with my RME AIO, and finally found a solution that solved it completely. I was hearing a continuous and very high pitched noise coming from my computer when working with projects with lots of instruments and effects in Cubase. Indeed, the noise changed in pitch according to latency: the shorter the latency selected, the higher the frequency. At very low latencies (32 or 64 samples) it was so clearly audible and annoying that it was difficult not noticing it. A true showstopper.

At first I thought it might be something related to the AIO card. But, after putting my ear very close to the computer case, I identified the real culprit: the noise was really coming from the PSU! After investigating for a while, I concluded this was a form of the infamous "coil whine" noise many people were suffering.  So I decided to try a different PSU, and exchanged my Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 for a Be Quiet Pure Power 9. That was it. No more high-pitched noises in Cubase, no matter how much I load my CPU. The new PSU is dead silent. Problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Jorge

19 (edited by moshimoshi 2018-03-25 19:14:18)

Another bump to this old thread - really glad I found it via googling. This noise was plagueing me also - high pitched, loud and changing pitch with 32/64/128 sample buffer sizes, and even varying depending on which app was running?! This is purely from digital ADAT i/o on a Raydat (you'd think this would be impossible?) - so not possible to fix with a balanced breakout like the AIO. I was on the point of changing audio cards. But I found this thread, happened to have an old Bequiet Pure Power L7 630W which was still in decent condition and working. So I tried swapping it out with the existing PSU (Corsair RM650). Noise is gone!

Hope this helps anyone else in the same situation.