Topic: Fireface UFX cable stuck in front panel jack

Hi All

I recently bought the Fireface UFX and I'm really liking it

But I am unable to use the front panel inputs with a TRS/Instrument cable as once I've plugged it in I can't seem to get it out

It's very firmly stuck, I've had no problems with XLR cables, and I've tried with and without the button down, wiggling the cable and pulling it straight. But it just seems stuck
I'm pulling fairly hard, I could pull harder but I'd rather not

Has anyone else experienced this? And tips they'd like to share?

Thanks in advance

2 (edited by luddy 2012-05-19 05:55:48)

Re: Fireface UFX cable stuck in front panel jack

I love my UFX, but I have had quite a few problems with cables getting stuck in the unit.  I just discovered that the AES female on the rear of my unit has a latch but no latch release (no tab like the XLRs on the front panel)!  I had to open up my unit to release an AES cable that was inserted in it.

I've also had TR cables get very firmly stuck in the instrument inserts on the front panel.  I have quit inserting unbalanced (TR) connectors into the front for this reason.  I've not had any trouble with XLRs on the front so I stick with those (so to speak).  I don't recall having problems with TRS plugs in the front, but it might be a question of the length or geometry of the plug.  I have also had a USB cable get stuck on the rear!  haha.  Very sticky unit, otherwise outstanding.

-Luddy

Hmm, interesting

I'm glad it isn't just me that's having the problem, thanks

It's a bit of a shame that you've just chosen to not use them

I may have to send an e-mail to support, but I don't know what they'd do

I'll keep you posted

what plug-brands were you guys using when they got stuck? i had that problem once with an octamic 2 when using a very cheap trs plug. never had that kind of problem using neutrik xlr/trs plugs again.

I'm also having this problem.  But you make be onto something with the type of plug.  The one that is currently stuck is an adapter that I used to plug in my iPhone to the front panel.   Initially I had used Whirlwind cables to connect a guitar but after some wiggling, I was able to get it out.  But the adapter does not budge at all.  It is firmly stuck.

Will I have to open the unit to get it out?

6 (edited by Masaaki 2012-09-06 00:52:30)

I had similar experience, but figured out what's going on. The one which was really tight was made by Hosa, and it is paired unbalance TS cable, like this one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … -1-4-cable
Hard to explain, but if you magnify the tip shape, the notch has a deeper curve. It is almost like square shaped notch.
If you compare with Mogami gold like this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … ment-cable
You can find the notch is shallower and looks like triangle shape.

The one that has problems is okay with mixer boards, regular 1/4 jacks, etc, but it is really tight once it's plugged into combo jack. It happens with other interfaces, having the Neutrik combo jacks, so it's not really RME's fault. I would say 'compatibility' issue, between Neutrik's combo jack and TS/TRS jack made by Hosa (particularly with the vinyl jacket). So, I suggest to use Neutrik or other higher quality 1/4 jacks when you use with combo jacks.

Just got an ufx...i'll pay attention to this. Thanks. But kinda weird for such a product....

alfred wrote:

But kinda weird for such a product....

I know, but it happens only with combo jacks on the front. Avoid plugging in cheap Y-cable for iPods etc to the front. Just use analog ins on the back, and you should be fine. I use front jacks only for XLR (mic ins) or guitar/bass leads (instrument ins).

Cable makers should follow standards, and make the tip shape identical, but it varies anyway.

And there indeed is a standard: IEC 60603-11 or EIA-453. Whenever a TS or TRS connector gets stuck in the Neutrik Combo the connector missed the rounding that is necessary for proper removal. There are other TRS sockets where this doesn't matter (for example the 'bug' sockets with two or three near flat contacts on top), but in the Neutrik Combo the connector must be following the spec. Sharp ones without rounding will get stuck. Better check your cables before and trash all those misdesigns!

Somewhere in this forum is a nice picture showing the clear difference between correct and not correct design of the TS/TRS connector. I just have to find it... ed:

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I also have a vague recollection that the AES addressed this (and the two different 'standard' shapes) in one of their standards.

MC wrote:

I just have to find it... ed:

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

I took quick images (looks like silhouette, tried to emphasize the shape of the notch)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/83 … hapes.jpg/

The one on the left will stuck in the combo jack

Thanks, that is what I meant. The 'Hosa' version makes problems in several manufacturer's sockets, not only the Neutrik ones.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OMG ! half of my jacks are not round !

14 (edited by caglayanyildiz 2012-10-31 00:29:36)

So all my jacks are Neutrik, except one I had borrowed from a friend and happened to use it. And WHAM! Yes, I have a stuck jack in my RME UCX now.
Now I learn about this issue here. Why is there NO warning about this in the first page of the User Manual and also on the RME website, product page in BOLD letters and with the picture of the two tip types above?
And I bought my UCX in Germany and I live in Turkey, and when I've contacted RME, they said if I want it repaired under warranty and keep my unit under warranty, then I'll have to send it over to Germany. It is not an option to be away from the unit for a few weeks, since that is my only interface and I'm constantly using it for production.
And if I'll have it repaired by RME's authorized dealer's service in ?stanbul, Turkey, then the unit will be off the warranty. And I'll have to pay because they say it is "customer's misuse".
And all this mess because of a stupid jack tip angle, which I had no idea about!
Would RME kindly solve this problem, please?

Let me get this straight. You think that RME should put a warning 'in the first page of the User Manual and also on the RME website' about using non-spec TRS jacks? Sorry, I feel your pain - insofar as I never look at them before plugging in either, but isn't this a bit 'over the top'. Instead why not take the cables back (once you get it out of the UCX) and complain that they don't meet the spec?
I mean spec's exist for a reason - should those that build quality equipment based on them be burdened with supplying warnings over using non spec equipment with it?

16 (edited by caglayanyildiz 2012-11-01 10:30:53)

If it is a common issue, if it is occurring quite often, then it is not "over the top". Because the jack seemed to cause NO PROBLEM whereever you plugged it, except the UCX. And as I told you, it just happened to be a friend's jack, not mine. It could happen to you, since you never look at them before plugging. Then you would really feel my pain wink But never mind, shit just happens…

Hey - its not really that common - and BTW are you complaining to the cable manufacturer?
I hope that you get it out and things sorted soon.

caglayanyildiz wrote:

And all this mess because of a stupid jack tip angle, which I had no idea about!

All the specs are there in the manual.

All right, thanks for your help guys, it was all my fault, and so now I'll shut up, stop complaining and suffer the pain I've deserved because if my ignorance, OK?
And the 4 guys up there in the beginning of the topic with the same problem should do so as well.

captainfaggo wrote:

All the specs are there in the manual.

Where exact is that in the manual? Because it seems I can't find it…

Hi guys, can't believe someone else has this problem, i thought it would be a fruitless search and i'd stumbled across a defective unit - I have a HOSA cable firmly stuck in input 1 of my fireface

any tips on how to get it out without borking the input or the unit itself - it'd suck if I had to send it to RME for suck a silly mechanical thing

I posted about this problem back in December of 2011.  The tip of the TRS actually broke off in my UFX.
(But I had a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 before I got the UFX and cable were getting stuck in the Pro 40 on a regular basis.)

UFX+ x2 ; Babyface Pro x2; UFX Original;  Windows 10 64 bit ; Intel core i9 9900KS CPU; 64 Gig DDR4

23 (edited by Yllet 2013-03-05 19:59:41)

Same problem with me today, Hosa in the front combo jack of ff400, stuck. What to do? Can i safely unscrew the unit and do something about it?

/Jon

http://jon.rinneby.se/studio
http://www.facebook.com/turnoffyourtelevision

24 (edited by ebulb 2013-04-09 09:41:06)

this scenarios poses an interesting question.. is it better to be technically accurate to a specification or better to be universal with what exists in the market ? if the reality is lots of cables out there have the Hosa shape im not sure the end user benefits by having something made accurate to the origial spec if there is a high probability they will encounter problems.. Technically this is Hosas fault or the cable manufacturers that stray from the spec you cannot deny that, but its not a perfect world and good designs should take this into consideration.. it's still better practise (i think) for companies to build products with an awareness of the pitfalls that come from peripherals being used with it..

At the very least i agree with the earlier post which says there should be some warning about cables that could get stuck and educate people before such a simple action causes large headaches..

wait, this can't be true.

someone here is hinting that it would preferable the use of cheaper connectors on the front panel of a (very high) quality audio interface because some crappy quarter inch plugs get stuck in it?

why? so that the same users could be writing back again, one or two years later, shouting at RME that quarter inch connectors have loose contacts that lead to electrical noises and glitches only after two years?

there's no better choice than Neutrik, when it comes to electrical and mechanical stability in the long term.
if space is at a premium (and on a 1RU device, it is), combos are the only possible choice for a front panel where the end user wants to stick a quarter inch plug.

ok, plugs are not all created equal. some learn it earlier, some learn it later. understanding it shall not require a master degree in rocket science, though: just the price difference between the real ones (used by pros) and the cheap ones (used by non pros) shall suggest which one's worth buying, and which one's best left on the store shelves. an interface priced around 2.000 € can't go hand in hand with a 5 € cable, it's like using black paint instead of china ink for a 2.000 € Montblanc fountain pen and crying it clogged the tip.

blaming RME for having made a wise, long-term-inspired choice just because someone can't pull out a cheap plug off a UFX, sounds downright silly to my ears.

blame the cable manufacturer for not writing on the plastic wrap "don't use on quality appliances if equipped with quality connectors - risk of getting stuck", but please don't blame RME, and don't blame Neutrik, either, as both try hard to do it right for those who might buy it just once, but want it working flawlessly once for all.

rbbrnck wrote:

wait, this can't be true.

blame the cable manufacturer for not writing on the plastic wrap "don't use on quality appliances if equipped with quality connectors - risk of getting stuck", but please don't blame RME, and don't blame Neutrik, either, as both try hard to do it right for those who might buy it just once, but want it working flawlessly once for all.

I look forward to hearing how these people go complaining to the cable manufacturers for selling 'out of spec' cables.

27 (edited by kittiezcat 2013-05-24 15:32:07)

It sadly isn't as simple as this. Thank you for this forum and post.
You see while I do have rme products this issue has occurred with my focusrite Scarlett 2i4.
I have lots of cables but randomly grabbed a 1/4 TS Hosa (never again %#*^>•|•). I bought at guitar center but didn't test the front combo inputs until after 30 days like a fool.
Now I can't return and must send in my  $200 portable interface so I can have the tip of the cable removed. Both cables were stuck, upon removing which was very difficult, the tip got stuck in the combo neutrik jack.
What a pain. Just my luck to have a simple audio solution turn into a nightmare. So yes I am all for some sort of notice to only use specific cables, where I understand others saying this is not needed, one could easily be sold these 2 things together. I am still somewhat dismayed at this situation.  I will have to send away my gear now which I need to use. I am thankful for this post as it at the least quantifies the issue. I will be forwarding this to focusrite support, I hope someone takes note as this will recur again and again, and for those that think it's all my fault I agree I should use better cables but thats really shifting responsibility, why shouldn't the ones I purchased work properly? Because they are crap. Now Hosa is called Line I believe? So don't be fooled by crappy crimped plastic cables (CCPC). Then you'll have some guy telling you ya man it's all your fault dude using crappy cables, when this is only adding salt to the wound. They have some nice fancy cables are just $50 what a deal! what a joke.  Oh just make your own they say.... so helpful thanks...

Today a cable got stuck in mine too sad

I read this thread looking for a solution, but I didn't see a solution posted (other than returning the unit to Germany).

Tried with some force to get the cable out (not to much as I was afraid it might break the cable), but it was simply stuck....

.... but then ....

I twisted the plug a little and at the same time I applied a little bit of force to pull it out and magically it was coming out smile

So, before sending it in, maybe the same thing will apply to your cable.

I even was too curious about it and tried it again. Put it in, cable got stuck again and turning the plug a bit and pulling at the same time and: out again.

Maybe this plug is different than your stuck cable, but before sending it in: try to see if you can do the same!

29 (edited by kittiezcat 2013-05-25 18:05:57)

syah,

I very much appreciate the post and input. I am very glad to hear you averted disaster. I would still caution users as you can see below.
You see in my case the tip is actually broken off inside the Neutrik combo jack input of my audio interface.
Even with the smallest pliers/tools I have I can't seem to get to it.
I was in a rush at a remote location and didn't feel safe packing my interface unit away with 12feet of stereo 1/4" jacks plugged in,
so I pulled a little to hard I guess.
I should have been more careful of course, and tried to be more gentle, but I was admittedly perplexed at the time (as I have never had this happen). I had to pack up asap and travel, so not an ideal situation , so yes, it's a lesson to me on many levels.

Also one other note regarding Hosa technology cables...
While they still are around Guitar Center in US at least doesn't sell them as much anymore but the other company that is at that same price point is Live Wire, not Live as I had said. I am not sure if these cheap cables are the same problematic kinds but I would think so is why am mentioning it. I am going to get some good cables now and then indeed yes make some at some point hopefully soon. No more of this I hope. I will take a pic of cable later maybe but the tip just snapped off, like it just came loose from the fitting whatever it is.
Thanks,
J

30 (edited by martinhr 2013-06-12 21:45:06)

yesterday a xlr-cable! (admittingly very cheap, but bought brandnew: http://www.thomann.de/de/the_sssnake_sk … kabel.htm) got stuck in a UFX, really no way to remove it (even later on with slight force with nippers). it's not the pins itself, it's the housing. had to return it for other reasons, did get a full refund and also the money back from thomann for the cables, but how could that be... i fear they have to get it repaired by IMM now.

Glad that I found this form.  I just received  my Amplivox SW915 last week which i was loving then I was trying out  m extended 30' 1/4" to 1/8" cable to my zune.  Everything worked perfectly until I tried to remove  the cable and you guessed it it was stuck.  I tried everything without trying too much force and still no results, finally out of desperation I tried some WD-40 and with a little wiggling it came free.  I am glad that this happened at home and not an event.  Thank God this worked as i was not looking forward to  spending the money to ship the unit back and forth not to mention down time.

32 (edited by 19 frets 2013-10-16 15:28:15)

I am glad you were able to get it free.  The lubricant was a good idea.  However, next time I would suggest using something like Deoxit contact cleaner instead.  Something non-conducting.

Masaaki wrote:

I took quick images (looks like silhouette, tried to emphasize the shape of the notch)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/83 … hapes.jpg/

The one on the left will stuck in the combo jack

Wow glad I caught this- this is good to know.
Coming from a bit of experience on the mechanical side of things it appears to me the Hosa's machining has cut some corners. It looks as if a cut were made to make the depression, but left the rather sharp ridge that should have been smoothed off. One might think a button' or such might just slip and ride over' LOL. But ropes, cables, otherwise 'sliding surfaces.. all simply have  the uncanny knack for catching' and holding at every opportunity!

syah wrote:

Today a cable got stuck in mine too sad

I read this thread looking for a solution, but I didn't see a solution posted (other than returning the unit to Germany).

Tried with some force to get the cable out (not to much as I was afraid it might break the cable), but it was simply stuck....

.... but then ....

I twisted the plug a little and at the same time I applied a little bit of force to pull it out and magically it was coming out smile

So, before sending it in, maybe the same thing will apply to your cable.

I even was too curious about it and tried it again. Put it in, cable got stuck again and turning the plug a bit and pulling at the same time and out again.

Did the trick, thanks for the tip. Got a ton of Neutrik plugs and happened when I plugged in the iPod with a Y-splitter...never again

Worked for me as well, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, jackplug stuck in composite input. Thanks!

36 (edited by JasonW 2015-07-09 19:58:00)

Some of the Monster cables also have plugs that will get stuck in the Neutrik combo connector.

Ironically, it's the top-of-the-line Monster 1000 series that have the non-rounded tip (like Hosa's bad plug tip) that gets stuck.  The cheaper Monster cable have the more rounded tip.   Judging from recent product photos, the latest revisions of Monster cables may have switched to the rounded tip but I don't know for sure.