Topic: problems with thunderbolt to firewire adapter and FF800

Hi,

I just got me a retina Macbook Pro, and a thunderbolt to firewire adapter, and I'm trying to use it with my Fireface 800. It basically works, but sometimes it suddenly looses connection. In such occasions the totalmix window disappears and audio stops, but after a few seconds the audio comes back on. In one occasion it froze my machine. I haven't had time to test thouroughly, but I'm using my old mbpro now for performances and it shows no problems at all, which makes me suspect the adapter. Could it be just broken (I haven't had any problems with it using my firewire HD's), or is there something else going on?

cheers & thanks,
Wouter

Re: problems with thunderbolt to firewire adapter and FF800

I'd go on using the old MBP then.  It seems to have the facilities you require.

The new MBP bemuses me.  Sure, it has a pretty display - but is that really relevant to a DAW?  It lacks some basic ports, which IS relevant.

Sorry to be unhelpful.  Apple are p*ssing me off at the moment, with their obsession about making stuff a mm thinner rather than maintaining compatibility with existing euipment.  Who needs to carry an adapter around with their new iPhone?  What about those expensive docking stations - the market that was conned into buying Apple might also have bought Bose.  Arrrrgggh!

[ot] I don't entirely agree with you on this, although indeed Apple is pushing it right now. But the new mbpro's compactness is of great benefit to me, and - if the adapter works as advertized - the lack of ports is no problem. Also, while for my current projects the old mpbro is ok, I'd like to use the new one to its full and much greater power. Expandability is also not much of an issue, since I buy a new mac every 3 years anyway. And the screen, well, not many audio apps support it yet, but the ones that do are quite amazing to work with. For audio, where screen real-estate is always a problem, this is a big pre.

Anyway, with the failing adapter the machine is currently useless for concerts (I already had one where a dropout occurred right in the middle). I'm very curious if this could be a driver thing, and how to test if it is..

4 (edited by MJB 2012-09-17 17:13:43)

Are you using the power cable, rather than relying on power from the firewire? see: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15288

Well, I don't think FF800 is bus-powered, so the power issue shouldn't be the problem.
How about connecting to Firewire 400 port, versus 800 port on the FF800? Do you have 400/800 conversion cable?

I'm not a Mac user, but interested in TB/FW adapters, since there are some TB-equipped motherboard coming out for PCs, and I'm thinking to use my firewiere devices through the TB/FW adapters. So, please just report what you find out.....thanks!

Disconnect all other external devices that may connect to ground/mass (USB harddrive, display, Ethernet) and see if you still get disconnections. Also try to exchange the MBP power-plug between 2-prong and 3-prong or run on battery and try again. Last but not least connect an external device to the MBP that comes with its own 3-prong power-supply and try again.

Hi,

I'm using that thunderbolt to firewire adapter for about a month in a iMac with no issues at all. I have a FF800, a TC 24D and a Focusrite Liquid Mix daisy chained to that thing and it STILL handle it bravely, so I doubt your problem is with the adapter.

You should probably follows Timur advise and make a detailed checkup on your system considering all the variables involved before pinpoint the culprit.

Hope this help.

see ya