Topic: Can't get Talkback to work on TotalmixFX/UFX w/ARC

I recently purchased the Advanced Remote Control and was trying to use Mic input 12 as Talkback.  I see levels in the Totalmix Mixer, and it shows the talkback button engaged, but I'm obviously missing something in the Matrix or the Control Room setup, as I can't hear the mic's signal.  I've tried routing Talkback to everything I can think of in the Matrix, and tried assigning the Phones 1-4 in the Control Room setup - but there no sound coming through!  I tried plugging headphones into the UFX headphone outs - though I don't use them directly in my setup - I normally use a different set of rear outputs and route to an external headphone distribution amp - still no luck.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks!

Re: Can't get Talkback to work on TotalmixFX/UFX w/ARC

Talkback is automatically routed to all Phones. You might have overlooked to pull up the Talkback fader. The Talkback signal is also visible on the Phones meters.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, but I don't see signal visible on the Phones meters, and the fader is up on the Talkback channel.  I can see level there, and am able to adjust the Gain.  It must be a routing issue - any further help would be appreciated.

MC wrote:

Talkback is automatically routed to all Phones

Talkback function dosen't work on Babyface... I've tried everything, but I can't...

---
MacBook Pro i7 - 8 GB Ram | RME Babyface | Adam A7x | Cubase 6.x | Snow Leopard 10.6.8

I'm not sure if this would help, but when MC says (Talk back in routed to all Phones), he refers to what's assigned as Phones 1 - Phones 4 in the Assign drop-down menu in the control room section. In other words, if your control room section doesn't have phones assigned to it, talkback wont be routed to it, that means that your phones 9/10 and 11/12 wont get talkback signal if they show up under (hardware outputs), not (control room). You can have any analog output pair and some digital outs assigned as phones (not just the actual hardware headphone jacks on the front).

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630

Good hint. He uses a Babyface which has a dedicated Phones output, this might cause the confusion. This phones out must be activated (Assign) in the Control Room panel as described.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I did have phones assigned in the Control Room section.  In a moment of desperation, I did a Total Reset on TotalmixFX, and voila, I was able to get Talkback working!  But I can't for the life of me figure out why it's not working when I reload my workspace.  It's definitely an inconvenience if I have to relabel all my channels and redo my matrix routings from scratch.  If there's anything you can think of that could be the source of this issue, I'd appreciate the insight. 

Thanks,
Dave

Send me the workspace...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello... I'm having the same problem...
SO WHAT WAS THE OUTCOME OR SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM FOR "istation" and his posts ???

Thanks in advance!

Hello ... same problem ... I can't route my talk mic to ADAT 15/16 : I can assign it but no sound comes out of the 15/16 output ... it used to work before I update Total mix !
I'm using a P16 behringer system ...
Thx .

You can not route your Talkback mic. It automatically comes out of all channels assigned to be talkback. So did you do this for ADAT 15/16?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,
I seem to have the same problem.

I tried to switch my Phones assignment from Adat 2-1/2 (where the Talkback worked) to ADAT 1-7/8, but the talkback wasn't sent to that Phones Out anymore. I don't see any signal going to that specific phones out while my other phones out do get signal.
I also tried using ADAT 2 3/4 to ADAT 2-7/8 to see if the problem was only occuring with ADAT 1-7/8 but same problem.
I then did a Total Reset and just routed the Talkback Mic and the phones out, but I still didn't get signal. I then routed the other phones as i usually use them and none of them worked.

Before I did all those test, I saved my usual workspace under a different name, to be able to get back to the usual one. After not getting anywhere, I recalled my usual workspace and surprise, none of the Phones Out got Talkback Signal. I then switched to my "Test"-Workspace and there all the usual Phones out got Talkback signal...

could I get some help here to understand why the Talkback signal, even though it is assigned and the faders are at unity, doesn't get to certain Phone outs?

For Information: I am on Windows 10 with Totalmix 10.5(3) and use a UFX II that is uptodate too.

Thanks

You could upload the non-working workspace so we can check it. Or provide a screenshot of TM FX where all settings are visible and a talkback signal is applied and lets the level meter react.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

thanks for the answer.
Here is the link to the non-working workspace

https://we.tl/t-H1BbqAH9Qn

sincerely

Sorry that it took some time. The reason Talkback is not working for channels outside the Control Room section is that those routings are on mute. The Talkback fader seems to indicate otherwise. If you decactivate Trim in the Talkback channel and select one of those outputs you will see that the TB fader jumps down. Raise it up and it will work.

We don't know how this happened. Doing a Total Reset and activating Mic9 as Talkback channel again everything works as expected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you, I will look into it and keep you updated.

Sincerely