Topic: Dynamics/eq on software playback channels?

I'm trying to mix a 24 track song from my daw (reaper) using only totalmix, and the compressors/eq/fx on totalmix only.

I'm having trouble sorting out the routing for this.

I can route the individual tracks to the software playback channels, but these have no dynamics on them.

I can route the individual tracks to the hardware outputs, but then I can't pan, or get a submix to my master.

I can't seem to route the individual tracks to the hardware inputs... possibly I'm missing something?

What's the best setup to accomplish this? (Mixing a multitrack tune with just totalmix)?

M.

2 (edited by isaac 2012-12-20 06:52:58)

Re: Dynamics/eq on software playback channels?

buddhajuke wrote:

I'm trying to mix a 24 track song from my daw (reaper) using only totalmix, and the compressors/eq/fx on totalmix only.

I'm having trouble sorting out the routing for this.

I can route the individual tracks to the software playback channels, but these have no dynamics on them.

I can route the individual tracks to the hardware outputs, but then I can't pan, or get a submix to my master.

I can't seem to route the individual tracks to the hardware inputs... possibly I'm missing something?

What's the best setup to accomplish this? (Mixing a multitrack tune with just totalmix)?

M.

Loopback function. ctrl plus select on output channels.

In the manual as well.

What intergace are you using?

Isaac P

Thanks for the reply isaac.

I've read up on loopback. I know that I can re-record the track with dynamics etc back in my daw using loopback, but that's not what I'm trying to accomplish.

How do I monitor these hardware fx using totalmix only?

Currently the only ways I can see to do this is to hit the CUE button on the output channel, but then I can only listen to one track at a time.

Simply hitting the loopback button doesn't do anything during playback, only when recording. Again, unless I'm missing something simple?

How do I do this?

REAPER TRACK FIVE -> TOTALMIX HW OUTPUT FIVE -> EQ/COMPRESSOR -> MAIN OUTPUT

Thanks.

M.

I should specify by MAIN OUTPUT I mean in the UFX/Totalmix, not going back to REAPER at all.

Bump?

buddhajuke wrote:

Thanks for the reply isaac.

I've read up on loopback. I know that I can re-record the track with dynamics etc back in my daw using loopback, but that's not what I'm trying to accomplish.

How do I monitor these hardware fx using totalmix only?

Currently the only ways I can see to do this is to hit the CUE button on the output channel, but then I can only listen to one track at a time.

Simply hitting the loopback button doesn't do anything during playback, only when recording. Again, unless I'm missing something simple?

How do I do this?

REAPER TRACK FIVE -> TOTALMIX HW OUTPUT FIVE -> EQ/COMPRESSOR -> MAIN OUTPUT

Thanks.

M.

Total mix and loopback. You don't have to record it, you can just listen to it!! Your master UFX output would be the tracks after they had been loop backed with eq/effects applied.

Isaac P

Hi Isaac and whoever else might help... I'm coming back to this because it never did work for me properly, and I have a project where this would be useful.

The only way I seem to be able to monitor the dynamics is by creating a new track in reaper and arming that track.

I don't want to go back into my DAW at all, I just want to hear the dynamics as I apply them on my main outputs.

Could it be that there is something wrong with my setup? Should I hear dynamics as soon as I hit the loopback button?

Also I just realized that you asked what my device is... It's a fireface ufx