Topic: Not enough headroom when recording 0 dBu into babyface

I'm trying to set up proper gainstaging in my setup, which has some  synths/samplers going into my mixer and then the babyface's inputs.

When my mixer outputs 0 dBu the babyface peaks pass 0 dbfs because the babyface reference level is too low at +12 dBu, which means very dynamic sources clip when recorded out of the mixer at 0 dBu.

In 24 bit digital, it doesn't matter much if you record hot or cold but analog works best at 0 dBu...which is hotter on the babyface than most digital equipment.

It seems the babyface reference level just reduces headroom.

1) Can the reference level be adjusted?

2) If not, can there be an update with the adjustment?

3) What is the benefit of that reference level?

2 (edited by spacealf 2013-02-19 20:15:55)

Re: Not enough headroom when recording 0 dBu into babyface

If you read some recording articles, no one they say should record at 0 db level anyway, and on a computer you add everytime you add another track so the volume goes up and into the red. The way to record is always lower like between -9 dB and -6 dB on the DAW's VU meter. In other words the input coming into your analog equipment may be going up to 0dB but the output (going out to the Babyface) should be able to be adjusted to output into an audio/interface unit lower so the signal is loud enough not to have noise in it, but not too loud as to distort a digital recording which is easier to do than with analog.

The inputs into my Babyface are automatic, the TotalMixFX program just reflects what the signal is that is coming into the Babyface.

But perhaps someone else can explain it better if not understanding.
Digital is different than Analog.

When digital goes over 0 on the vu meter, it wrecks the recording - up to 0 on the VU meter, not over. On analog equipment, you can go over 0 on the VU meter, but a computer can not go over 0 on the meter. (only up to) - but some equipment is better than others even in digital if you want to spend several thousand perhaps 10s of thousands of dollars on such equipment.

I don't think you understand.

I want to record at 0 dBu in the analog domain, which would usually translate to -18 dbfs on the daw (rms) but is only -8 dbfs rms on the babyface. That only leaves -8 of headroom.

I'm saying the babyface records too hot at line level. I would have to attenuate the analog signal to record uncompressed into the babyface with anything really dynamic.

1. No.
2. No
3. Size and costs.

If you need +18 dBU (or similar) input level with the Babyface then use an external passive attenuator.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME