1 (edited by Rupf 2013-05-19 16:41:22)

Topic: HDSPe RayDat - ADAT Loopback (Roundtrip) Latency

If I connect ADAT1 Out to ADAT1 In RTL Utility shows 199 samples (2,073 ms) at 96 kHz (64 samples buffer size).
Why ? There's no AD DA conversion involved, so this can't be true.

This is my understanding of the calculation:
Buffer:
64 samples x 2 = 128 samples
Totalmix and ADAT Receive/Transmit at 96kHz:
6 samples
Total:
134 samples

Is there anybody out there who can shed some light on this issue?

My plan is to get a UCX (low latency converters) and use it just as converter connected to RayDat via ADAT.

Re: HDSPe RayDat - ADAT Loopback (Roundtrip) Latency

The latency has a dedicated chapter in the manual explaining your measurement.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've read the manual. But I can't find any information which would confirm my measurements. Quite the contrary: Page 74:
"But when performing a digital loopback test no latency/offset can be detected."

Could you or somebody else please explain?

Thank you

4 (edited by Rupf 2013-05-20 21:54:50)

After reading the Latency chapter of the german and the english manual i still don't get it why there are 199 instead of 134 samples latency on a pure digital path when there should be only a doubled ASIO buffersize (because of playback/record ASIO buffer) + the 6 samples (double speed mode 96 kHz) of the receive/transmit/totalmix delay.

I get the same results no matter if I have ASIO Zero Latency Monitoring checked or unchecked.

Is there something I misunderstand?

Dear Latency experts on the forum : ) ?

There's also the 32-sample "Safety Buffer" that came about in driver version 3, but this still doesn't account for the extra 33 sample discrepancy in your measured 199 samples (64+64+32+6 = 166 Samples).

Could RTL be mis-reporting somehow?  What does your DAW show in this case (record the loopback to another channel and see how it lines up to the original)?  The DAW is probably close to sample accurate - I'm not sure if RME's driver also takes into account the ADAT Tx/Rx buffer, but I assume it must.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

At double speed the safety buffer must have double size, otherwise it would work only half...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Rupf 2013-05-21 10:37:31)

Thanks Randyman & Matthias. Now it's clear - so now there is only 1 unidentified sample left : )

Like I mentioned before I would like to use RayDat with the UCX. In my case the calculation would be:

199 samples
+
14 samples for AD and 7 samples for DA (on all sample rates)
=
220 samples

Am I right ? Does RayDat and UCX in combination have the lowest latency of the RME products ? (at 96 kHz)

No. As can be read elsewhere in this forum running the UCX as stand-alone ADAT converter adds some internal latency (20 to 30 samples, AFAIR). The lowest latency is there when using the UCX directly via USB or FireWire. Or connect a real AD/DA converter (like the ADI-8 DS or QS) to the RayDAT.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

How about running the FF 800 as stand-alone ADAT converter with the RayDat ?
Does it add some internal latency too (besides the higher latency of the older AD/DA converters compared to ADI-8 DS MKIII) ?

Thanks

Matthias, please. I have to decide which combo to get ...

Thanks

The 800 does not add latency in stand-alone mode, but due to the older converters the advantage is near zero compared to the UCX. Not sure what all this is good for...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know.