Topic: HDSPe Express Card & Multiface 1 Problem

Hey Guys,

I have this strange problem.

At home i use my multiface 1 connected with a psu attached connected to my hdspe pcie card.
works perfectly. it's a mac pro with Mac OSX 10.6.8

but when i connect my multiface 1 to my hdspe express card on the laptop all the meters in hdspe mixer go crazy. (see picture)
they show max level and overs all the time with no single signal attached to the multiface.

i tried three different fw400 cables. no result.
i even tried to swap cable direction. no result.
restarting rebooting reconnecting, everyting no result.

i remember to had this problem some while ago. but it disappeared with just restarting the laptop.
but now the problem stays.
can anybody help??

i'm on Mac OSX 10.6.8

[img align=L]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/841029/Bildschirmfoto%202013-06-27%20um%2010.58.52.png[/img]

Re: HDSPe Express Card & Multiface 1 Problem

Some additional information to my problem.
in the meantime i saw that i didn't have the latest driver & the latest firmware in my hdspe express card installed.
i installed latest hdspe driver & rev 20 firmware for my hdspe express card.

the problem has changes, but theres still a problem.

with the old drivers hdspe settings told me that there's a digiface connected.
after updating everything hdspe setting tells me that there's a RPM Interface Connected.

but interface still not working on my laptop fryingpan

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/841029/Bildschirmfoto%202013-06-27%20um%2011.34.19.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/841029/Bildschirmfoto%202013-06-27%20um%2011.34.29.png

Please try a different FW400 cable.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks.

i already tried three.

but i definitely will try another one and give it a chance.

i will post my results tomorrow

Regards
Fischi

i guess there must be something wrong with the drivers?!!!

today i came home from tour and tried out my multiface 1 at the hdspe pcie card in my macpro.
works perfect. i even tried out all three fw400 cables i own. all of them worked fine.

then i updated my driver from 3.03 to 3.04 and the hdspe pcie cards firmware from rev 18 to 20 on my macpro.
now i suffer the exact same problems on my macpro than i had on my macbookpro. the multiface is not recognized any more.
hdspe settings just says it's a rpm an randomly changes sync status and connection status all the time.
hdspe mixer shows random levels and overs all the time. there must be a link between those exact same issues???

i ordered a fw4oo testing unit today in order to verify that my cables are ok. i will order another fw400 cable too.
but so far i think it's the drivers. really like 10 min ago everthing worked perfect and then after updating everything's screwed up.

any suggestions??

regards
fischi

You can easily flash the old firmware and install the old drivers to verify this effect.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey Matthias,

Tanks for your advice.
I had a little bit of time to try it out yesterday evening.
I installed driver 2.72 on my mac pro and firmware rev 18 on my hdspe pcie card.

after the first rebooting process after installation hdspe setting recognized my multiface as a multiface 1. yeah 1st good thing.
meters in hdspe mixer still went crazy, but after de- and reconnecting the fw400 cable everything worked perfect. 2nd good thing
it played sound in normal quality.

really bad thing:
after 5 min or so my mac pro freezed. it didn't react to anything i did. no keyboard commands accepted. no mouse movement.
monitor was flashing all the time. in thois state i cannot even shut down the computer. i have hold the power button to shut it down.
any suggestions what i should do??

i didn't uninstall the latest driver. i just ran the installer of driver 2.72???
i hope this was correct. driver 2.72 should also work on my OSX 10.6.8.
after booting the macpro i have little time to do something. but after a couple of mintes it freezes.

This problem is really annoying.
I'm really thankful for all help & support  i can get guys.

Regards
Bernhard Fischer

hey guys,

this evening i kept working on the problem.
but now the macpro doesn't start at all.

it freezes in the booting pocess.

i already did some maintenance with my mbp and disk utility tool with my mac pro in traget disk mode.
i removed rme pcie card and the second hard drive.

but nothing works. the macpro doesn't start anymore.
I'll bring this thing to an expert tomorrow.
maybe there's a problem with the mac hardware and not the rme stuff. or booth at the same time. who knows????

but until i really know what the problem was, im really frightend of trying to downgrade the drivers and firmware on my mbp.

this whole thing is very frustrating.

regards

bernhard fischer

Update to my Situation:

The MacPro Freeze had nothing to do with RME Hardware.
My Graphics Card was Crashed. I bought a new one.
My MacPro is up and running again.

It was different things happening at the same time, which drove me almost crazy.

After having it back from maintenance i reinstalled driver version 2.72 on MacPro & MacBookPro
I run firmware rev 18 at the moment. Now everything is working perfect.

But the core question stays. Is Multiface 1 supported by latest driver & firmware versions?????
Or is it recommended to stay at driver 2.72 and firmware rev 18

regards

Bernhard Fischer

The driver is for the interface card only and in no way specific to the Multiface version.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.
I will try to install the latest driver & firmware on my MBP the next days.
If it works i will also install them on my MacPro.

I just was thinking that it could be the driver and firmware because it didn't work after updating them on booth machines.

Regards

Bernhard Fischer

Hey there,

i hope that there are still some followers to this old tread.

after replacing my graphicscard in my mac pro everything was up and running again.
but since then i worked with firmware rev 18 and driver version 2.72

today i tried installig driver version 3.05 on my macbook pro and firmware rev20 on my hdspe express card

driver installation was succesfull. everything working perfect.
but after installing firmware rev20 nothing was working.
multiface 1 was not recognized. meters in total mix went crazy. working impossible.

so i downgraded the firmware to rev 18 and guess what?? everthing worked again.

is anybody familiar with these issues??
i really don't want to anything on my mac pro if i have to spend time in up- and downgrading soft- and firmware all the time.

best regards

Bernhard Fischer