Topic: Windows Registry Failure

Hi,

have installed last driver for fireface800 today.

The installer does not remove the last driver installer info in windows software panel.

I see now two driver packets entries there:

Windows Treiberpaket - RME Fireface (07/15/201...
Windows Treiberpaket - RME Fireface (08/15/201...

Cheers

Intel DX58SO2 / Core i7-960 / Kingston HyperX 1600 24 GB / Fireface800 / Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Re: Windows Registry Failure

Then please remove them by deinstalling and reinstalling only the newer one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by spacealf 2013-08-22 19:19:13)

Yes, that happened with me also, thanks for mentioning that.

Then when starting up the computer again, Windows asked if I wanted to install software from you guys at RME, instead it installed TotalMixFX version 0.989, so maybe trying to un-install both old and new drivers at the same time. But I un-installed what was suppose to be the 1.034 version, and then Windows started up and had no drivers for or by RME for the sound unit -babyface in my instance.

So, back to installing the newest drivers - 1.034 - again, so I guess everything is cleared driver-wise now, since Windows 7 thinks it knows something - nothing of which it ever knows. (It did that also with graphic drivers lately also, if there is another version somewhere in Windows 7 - the hoarder of everything you did not want to keep or need on your computer.)

And it is not even Halloween yet, but every day is a day of excitement with Windows 7. (I still like XP better).

(I don't see the smilies anymore here - huh!)
big_smile
Bye!

There is no smilie tolbar available for this latest version of the board. Bothers me too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by mididoc 2013-09-11 22:26:15)

MC wrote:

Then please remove them by deinstalling and reinstalling only the newer one.

this issue is still there in newest update 3.0.8.0.

cheers

Intel DX58SO2 / Core i7-960 / Kingston HyperX 1600 24 GB / Fireface800 / Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

hi,

from a driver installer i would expect,
that,

if older version has to be uninstalled before,
either the installer prompts me to do so,
or that the installer uninstalls the older driver before installing new one.

if the older driver would be just overwritten,
why not just do it and update the windows software panel entry.

cheers

At a closer look this is a feature, not a bug. The older drivers have not been overwritten - they are still there in the driver file repository and available for Windows. If you go to Device manager, Device, Properties, Driver, you see the button 'Previous driver'. You can go back to the last driver easily because it is still there and Windows knows about it.

If you delete the 'Windows Treiberpaket RME....' entries the information will be lost and that 'Previous Driver' button is greyed out.

If you don't like those older drivers all listed under 'Software Removal' you can easily right click and delete them.

Please note that we have no influence on this, as we use Windows own installer to install our driver files, and it just works like that. So we can not add an option to automatically delete those old entries.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

At a closer look this is a feature, not a bug. The older drivers have not been overwritten - they are still there in the driver file repository and available for Windows. If you go to Device manager, Device, Properties, Driver, you see the button 'Previous driver'. You can go back to the last driver easily because it is still there and Windows knows about it.

If you delete the 'Windows Treiberpaket RME....' entries the information will be lost and that 'Previous Driver' button is greyed out.

If you don't like those older drivers all listed under 'Software Removal' you can easily right click and delete them.

Please note that we have no influence on this, as we use Windows own installer to install our driver files, and it just works like that. So we can not add an option to automatically delete those old entries.

Well the fireface appers anyway TWICE in the software panel,
once as fireface and once as driver packet.

The fireface entry is updated allright, displaying the new version number after install.

it's just the additional driver packet info which irritates.
and i still don't find this NORMAL, compared with other driver installers.

example nvidia video card installers:
in the harware panel, you can also go one step back to recent driver,

but this recent driver would never be displayed in software panel.
this even don't make sense,
cause if the user decides to uninstall the driver packet of the fireface,
this should mean, that ALL fireface drivers should be uninstalled,
including the recent version.

cheers

mididoc wrote:

Well the fireface appers anyway TWICE in the software panel,
once as fireface and once as driver packet. The fireface entry is updated allright, displaying the new version number after install. it's just the additional driver packet info which irritates.

That's exactly what I wrote about. And the 'fireface entry' has never been there to de-install the drivers. They de-install what Windows' own routines are not able to de-install automatically. Explained in every RME manual.

mididoc wrote:

and i still don't find this NORMAL, compared with other driver installers.

Where did I say this is 'normal'?

'other driver installers' are mostly not based on Windows own installer, but a dedicated installation software, which handles everything on its own. The installer works and it will stay like that unless MS changes the way it works. Simply delete those entries if they disturb you.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've been having issues with my my audio going in and out using Cakewalk by band labs mainly. I looked and saw all the old installations and wondered if deleting them would help.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43687664_10218076953181744_1558075828451934208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&oh=0869e174d554259b344c192765f05d21&oe=5C4E73F8

When I tried to delete I received this message

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43758057_10218077233588754_8843126354368004096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&oh=5618b16cc0c0afb30947efddca9f8f78&oe=5C5C5065

Uninstalling won't change anything. Open a new thread and describe your audio problems in detail.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, Will do