Topic: iPad air with babyface

What do I need to start recording with babyface on my iPad air?

Re: iPad air with babyface

Camera Connection Kit (CCK) and audio software of your choice...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes, I read that on rme site but there are no camera connection kit to iPad air.
But there are a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter to iPad Air, will that work?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821 … ra-adapter

That should do...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by gregor 2013-12-05 15:19:57)

Yes, this Lightning to USB Camera adapter should work for you. At least it works for me with the following setup:
Babyface powered by external 12v DC PSU (from old linksys router) + USB cable connected to Lightning to USB Camera adapter + iPad mini. I'm playing a little with Garage Band, and it works quite ok.
GB sees all 10 BF inputs (2 analog + 8 digital)

First time, when I tried this setup I got an irritating  latency issue when playing virtual instruments but reconnecting the adapter at the iPad side solved the problem... Anyway iPad mini is not very fast so playing the virtual keyboard is not very efficient...
I wonder how it works on iPad Air or iPad mini v2, i mean how those new iPads reacts for fast action on virtual keyboard/fingerboard in GarageBand.

As you can read in some test/publications the 'latency' of the finger touch and the following reaction in the app is quite high under Android (up to 150 ms), and much better on the iOS units. Still it is around 50 to 70 ms if I recall that correctly. And that is exactly what I experience when I try to play (finger) drums (no matter what app) live to some playback music. It is really hard to stay that much in front of the beat all the time.

IMHO the higher calculation power of the latest iPads does not give lower latencies for such a case.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by gregor 2013-12-06 21:23:56)

I though that they could improve also touch response...as they now use dedicated/specialized M7 co-processor to collect data from various sensors (accelerometerr, gyroscope, compass...) they could do some changes to touch processing as well.
I saw some tests of app response for touch screen made for iPhone 4 ,5 and some androids phones and will not comment android results but iphone 4 was ~80ms and iPhone 5 gained 55 ms which is quite big difference, so maybe there is also some improvement in new iPads...

Anyway in my iPad mini  there is a problem that some touch action is not reflected in GB app at all, so from time to time it misses some sounds when i try to play/record something, and this is irritating and i think that this could be because of the processor load... I wondered if danne experiences similar issues with the iPad Air in GB.  The new ipad is a few times faster than old one so it should not take place, if the processor power is the source of the issue...
Sorry for off topic, i'm quiet now smile

8 (edited by danne 2013-12-06 21:59:58)

Gregor unfortunately I can not help you. I sing and play guitar with microphones connected to babyface. I do nothing virtual.

But I have tested iPad mini against my iPad air. Air is way beyond faster than mini.
Maybe you should test ipad mini retina. Mini retina is almost as fast as air.

ok. Thanks for the answer.