Topic: ADI-648: What's the Conversion Latency?

The manual doesn't seem to mention it, and a quick search here did not reveal any specifics:

How many samples of latency (buffering) are incurred with the ADI-648 when converting from MADI>ADAT, and also from ADAT>MADI?  Assume a standard 44.1K samplerate is being used.

Thanks!
cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Re: ADI-648: What's the Conversion Latency?

Not sure exactly, but it's likely a single-digit figure...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks - I will play around with my DAW Offsets until I get sample-accurate synchronization and external delay compensation in my DAW.  I was just hoping for some concrete numbers to add to my SSL AD/DA specs as a starting place.

PS - My MADIface-XT is waiting for me at home!!!

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

MC might chime in if you need it precisely...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

No hurry - I'm sure I'll still need to tweak the overall offset in Nuendo, but was hoping for a fairly concrete starting point (I know the offsets for the SSL converter chips and its ADAT buffer offsets, but not the ADI-648's offsets).  I never bothered getting my current config "Sample accurate" but would like to shoot for perfection with the MADIface-XT tongue

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Around 3 samples.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Around 3 samples.

Is that 3 extra samples round trip?

What round trip? The ADI-648 is a format converter, not an audio interface... "Round trip" would give you the original format again... So no, 3 samples would be the latency for format conversion in one direction.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

9 (edited by stoned_user 2015-01-16 15:15:40)

RME Support wrote:

What round trip? The ADI-648 is a format converter, not an audio interface... "Round trip" would give you the original format again... So no, 3 samples would be the latency for format conversion in one direction.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Okay, that would not be the right way to phrase it. But the OP asked, " MADI>ADAT, and also from ADAT>MADI?"

So if you go from ADAT to MADI (input), then MADI to ADAT (output) for monitoring... then that would be 6 samples, correct?

It is roundtrip in terms of in to out. No matter the format.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME