Topic: Fireface UFX vs. 802 - what's different?

As the title says - what's the difference between the Fireface 802 and the UFX?

Just different optics and no direct recording to usb device for the 802?

Is the 802 the follower of the UFX or will both lines coexist?

Thanks for clarification.

Nuendo 12.0.40, RME Madiface XT, MacMini 2018, 3.2ghz 6 core i7, 32gb ram, Monterey 12.5.

Re: Fireface UFX vs. 802 - what's different?

I joined this forum to look for the exact same answers.  *Subscribing to this thread*

On a side note, I do think it's strange that they chose to name it the 802.

looks similar, doesnt appear to have a display or DUrec ... so not quite as good as the UFX
Maybe cost wise it will bridge the gap between the UCX & UFX

http://en.audiofanzine.com/external-aud … +interface

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

All questions answered here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_802.php

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Looks good to me!
I have the UFX and it performs quite well for me.
Lots of I/O and total flexibility (on both units).
I don't need the DUrec, as the UFX goes straight to the computer to run Sonar.
I don't use the on unit meters; no biggie there.
Safe to assume the 802 employs the same AD/DA converters?
Only possible downside I see is 1 vs 2 midi.
But who has a huge midi setup these days anyway?
What's the difference in price point?

Tom

No LCD (thus limited standalone operation), no DuREC, no second MIDI, "analog" gainpots, dunno about AD/DA stages. I´m quite happy about it, I feared it be a successor to the UFX wink

TGL wrote:

No LCD (thus limited standalone operation), no DuREC, no second MIDI, "analog" gainpots, dunno about AD/DA stages. I´m quite happy about it, I feared it be a successor to the UFX wink

No, it isn't...

BigPhi84 wrote:

On a side note, I do think it's strange that they chose to name it the 802.

I would have called it Fireface 900 :-)
But then, the name does make sense, too...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Aside from the obvious differences, the UFX improved the conversion and pres compared to the ff800.  Can rme comment on the conversion and pres of the 802?  Are they the same as the UFX?

10 (edited by tajika 2014-03-13 09:58:11)

According to the product page, the pres are the same as the Octamic II (not UFX) and the conversion features "the latest A/D and D/A conversion chips" - thus, more recent than the FF800 but seemingly not on par with the UFX, which uses the design of the ADI-8 QS/M-Series with parallel conversion.

The remaining questions are pricing and availability.

Nuendo 12.0.40, RME Madiface XT, MacMini 2018, 3.2ghz 6 core i7, 32gb ram, Monterey 12.5.

compared to the UFX: Are the 802's ADC's faster? Less noise? In which regard else different?
And how about the DACs ?
Will the roundtrip time (ADC-Host-DAC) on a current  MacBook be better on the 802 (compared to the UFX)? with USB? with firewire?
What can I expect as roundtrip-time then?
Are the Mic channels on the 802 better than those in the UFX?
What else is different, apart from the documented hard facts ?

Has anybody heard the converters compared to ufx? I will buy one of these, but not shure which one.

www.docmaklang.de

13 (edited by Lindsey 2014-04-27 17:03:01)

Can someone from RME answer in a detailed way:
A. What are technical (t), quality(q), and performance(p) differences between (UFX vs 802):
1. A/D conversion
2. D/A conversion
3. Latency
B. What are technical(t), quality(q), and performance(p) differences between (UFX vs 802 vs Octamic II vs ADI-8)
1. Pre-Amps
2. Line  Inputs
3. Line Outputs
For the purposes of this discussion:
t= Technical description of the electronic circuit, and comparison/differences between that design approach and the design approaches of the other circuits.
q= Influence (benefits and limitations) of that circuit on the resultant (audio & digital), as compared to the other circuits it is being compared to.
p=technical specs in same formats
These answers do not need to be in terms of better/worse, although of course that is what I am trying to figure out.
Thank you for your always fantastic support!
Linz

SamProX23 Suite-RME UFX+,FF800;X-Touch,21" Acer Touch,ASUS ROG G750JH-DB71-Win8,MSSurfbook-Win10

I agree with Lindsey. It would be high desirable that someone  from Rme answer these questions in detail in order to take the right decision when choosing. regards

Hi!
Because I'm also in process of choosing, I would like to see the anwswers to Lindsey's questions.
Mike

Bump

SamProX23 Suite-RME UFX+,FF800;X-Touch,21" Acer Touch,ASUS ROG G750JH-DB71-Win8,MSSurfbook-Win10

You seem to expect a technical "discussion" of "circuit design approaches" that would be more suitable to esoteric hifi voodoo marketing... But this is not how the 802 was designed. There are no "design approaches" with any intent of achieving a specific "sound quality" (other than as neutral as possible and to work best with the converter chips in use), and quite particularly none that would result in intentional differences of "sound quality" between this and other devices, hence no need to "discuss" or compare such circuitry in detail. Any "better" or "worse" will be entirely subjective. S/N specs etc. aside, the main difference is yet another reduction of A/D and D/A conversion latency, but the small absolute difference of a few samples won't be audible in real life situations when compared to the UFX.

Latency performance won't differ, either, since both units use the same drivers for USB and FW, respectively.

The 802 is not meant to compete directly with the UFX (and to sound "better" despite a smaller feature set), it is meant to replace the FF800 with a modernized, yet similar device. That might sound a bit banal, but that's what it is...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,
Thank you for your response.
I have great respect for the RME team, and I always recommend your products and service based on your demonstrated performance and involvement.
I really appreciate your daily committed involvement in this forum.

You are correct about the esoteric nature of my questions.
For me it is more of an interested curiosity as an electronic engineer and audiophile.
I would like to know the technical nature differences each approach takes.
I asked because only the RME team knows these details.

I am actually running fine with my trusty FF800.
The FF meets my needs at this time, and with the thunderbolt/firewire converter I'm able to use the latest (most powerful) computers, so I'm good for now.
Thank you again for your committed accountability and support!!!

Best regards,
Lindsey

Thanks for the clearing that up. I'm long time user of Fireface 800 (7 years and running without any problems). One guestion though, i'd like expand my IO in future, and i'm thinking of getting Fireface 802 probably, how does the old 800 and 802 work along?. Can i have them on same setup? Or is there better way to expand, if i want my analog IO to have 16 IO's?

Mac Pro 8-Core | OSX 10.6 | Logic 8.0.2 | RME FF800 |

? http://www.waveformbakery.com ?

20 (edited by ramses 2014-06-26 21:09:36)

Some more useful features of the UFX over other have not yet been mentioned...

1. It has no potis, everything (gain) is digitally stored and
2. with "AutoSet" gain is automatically adjusted to avoid clipping

The key feature of Durec also has not been mentioned explicitely:
1) ok .. you can use it like a tape deck, this you might already expect from it ..
2) BUT .. you can also use it in parallel to DAW recording to have a "backup" shall the PC / DAW fail.
    This already happend to me when using a DELL Laptop with Focusrite LS 56.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

There is a Sound on Sound video about the 802 from Musikmesse 2014, in which your representative states that the price will be 599 Euro, with the street price expected to be lower. I went to buy one today in the States, and found a price of $2,000, which is about 1460 Euro. What happened?

Larry

The representative most probably said '1599', not 599.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You're right. I ran it down and listened again, and he says "One Thousand five hundred ninety-nine." That's what 28 years of playing hard rock will do for you.

Since the 802 and the UFX are the same price, I think I will go with the UFX for Durec and more inputs.

Larry

Well, they are definitely not the same price...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

One thing I find curious is that (if I'm not mistaken) UFX actually has slower conversion than either UCX or 802.
Since UFX is supposed to be the top of the range, this really should be updated, IMHO.
You can argue it's only few samples, but if it wasn't important you wouldn't improve it in the first place.

26 (edited by ramses 2014-07-02 07:23:58)

brk wrote:

One thing I find curious is that (if I'm not mistaken) UFX actually has slower conversion than either UCX or 802.
Since UFX is supposed to be the top of the range, this really should be updated, IMHO.
You can argue it's only few samples, but if it wasn't important you wouldn't improve it in the first place.

Over time new chips arrive the market, so if you design something new, then you take whats available on the market and does its job for a reasonable price.

If I remember right UFX was 1st out. The UCX arrived later on the market. The UFX already got a HW modification to support connection of the ARC.

TBH .. Speed is important, but not everything. The UFX with its current design is surely still state of the art in this price range.

You can read the other threads, there you can see, that i.e. the preamps still differ in design of the curcuit and still have the better quality over UCX and 802. So .. relax wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

27 (edited by Mike P 2014-09-02 22:10:44)

Which protocol should be used for best latency, USB 3.0 or Firewire?  Currently, I record at 128 samples with a Raydat/Apogee setup, so I'd like to at least achieve the same latency.

I'm running Nuendo 5.5/Cubase 7.5 on an Intel 2600k with 16 gigs of Ram.  I do have several USB items (iLok2, Synchrosoft Dongle/Elicenser, Oxygen 25, keyboard & mouse and USB 2TB backup drive).  Would they interfere with the performance of the 802 while using USB?

Thanks in advance! smile

Mike P wrote:

Which protocol should be used for best latency, USB 3.0 or Firewire?  Currently, I record at 128 samples with a Raydat/Apogee setup, so I'd like to at least achieve the same latency.

I'm running Nuendo 5.5/Cubase 7.5 on an Intel 2600k with 16 gigs of Ram.  I do have several USB items (iLok2, Synchrosoft Dongle/Elicenser, Oxygen 25, keyboard & mouse and USB 2TB backup drive).  Would they interfere with the performance of the 802 while using USB?

Thanks in advance! smile

Its very system specific (HW, mainboard layout, chipset, driver, combination of HW, etc) ....

Its usually close to each other ... Choose what works best in your system ... thats the best pragmatic way ... everything other is speculation based on assumptions which might not match with your particular system.

I personally like Fw more, as devices have more intelligence, thus you get less CPU intensive drivers. But on some system USB seems to work better ....

29 (edited by Mike P 2014-09-02 22:43:14)

ramses wrote:
Mike P wrote:

Thanks in advance! smile

Its very system specific (HW, mainboard layout, chipset, driver, combination of HW, etc) ....

Its usually close to each other ... Choose what works best in your system ... thats the best pragmatic way ... everything other is speculation based on assumptions which might not match with your particular system.

I personally like Fw more, as devices have more intelligence, thus you get less CPU intensive drivers. But on some system USB seems to work better ....

Thank you very much for the response.  My motherboard, an ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68, does not have onboard Firewire, so I'd need to purchase a PCI-e card.  Is there a specific brand or chipset required?

I'd use the main outputs (1/2) to feed a Presonus Central station but I see that the 802 features two headphone outputs.  Would those be suitable for sending signal to a headphone amp and a power amp powering a second set of studio monitors?  If so, would I be able to program the Advanced Remote to control all three sources, eliminating the need for the CS?

Thank you again! smile

30 (edited by adrachin 2014-10-27 19:49:27)

Mike P wrote:

Currently, I record at 128 samples with a Raydat/Apogee setup, so I'd like to at least achieve the same latency.

Thanks in advance! smile

I just got a brand new FF802 and did some comprehensive testing with it. I easily can use the lowest latency of 48 samples and run 16 tracks plus a good amount of plugins without problems.

Software Presonus Stdudio One running on a HP zbook with quad core 2.4 GHz CPU.

I used USB 2.0, 3.0 and firewire connected to the thunderbolt port. No noticeable difference.

And just to mention it, I shut down all programs not needed, switch of all radio port (bluetooth and wlan. Airplane mode.) I disconnect all USB devices not in use. Record to the internal SSD.

I tested other interfaces. Presonus 1818, Saffire 24DSP, TC impact twin and an old Terratec producer MIC 8 firewire interface. None of them came near the FF802.

Best regards

Thomas