Topic: "newest" PC laptop for cardbus/expressbus

I have three interfaces that are currently using cardbus cards to my laptop - 2 digifaces and 1 multiface. They are currently on old Dell 640 laptops that work great. I would like to continue using the interfaces, since they work so well, but I would like to find a much faster laptop to use them on. I am changing some of the ways that I do live recording (like mixing live in the laptop through a DAW) and would like to have more power.

I have done some cursory searching, but have yet to find any topics on the matter. I wouldn't mind buying a new laptop, but a custom build is a little out of my budget. I am also trying to stay with cardbus slots so that I do not have to replace the 4 cards that I have. That alone is about $1200 US. But, one at a time, I will if that is my best choice.

I know that I'll have to step into the future of USB3 or Firewire, but I'll have to do it one step at a time.

Ideally, I would like to find a really fast (or at least faster), stable PC with at least one cardbus slot. Used or refurb is fine, but I don't know what machine to look for.

Help?

Scott

Re: "newest" PC laptop for cardbus/expressbus

Please use the correct wording. You either have CardBus (PCI) or ExpressCard (PCIe). Notebooks with CardBus slots do not exist anymore. ExpressCard is seldom to find.

Keeping your system with ExpressCards might require to wait for the next generation of Windows notebooks with Thunderbolt ports, then using a TB to ExpressCard adapter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by plus6vu 2014-04-26 04:47:35)

I'm not sure where I am not using proper terminology, but to be clear, I am currently using laptops with Cardbus (PCI) and am hoping to find a good, used, but much faster laptop that has Cardbus (PCI) ports. I have three devices and four Cardbus (PCI) cards that would need to be updated to ExpressCard (PCIe) if I could no longer use the cards that I have. ExpressCards (PCIe) look to be about $500 each new, so replacing them would be about a $2000 investment. I would consider that to be an unwise investment in technology at this point. However, if there is a reliable Thunderbolt to ExpressCard (PCIe) adapter already on the market or in development, I could better see making the move to ExpressCard one card at a time.

So, my question, still, is what would be the most recent, fastest (used if necessary) laptop that has a Cardbus (PCI) slot that would accommodate my current hardware? Or, what would be a good, new or used, laptop with an ExpressCard (PCIe) slot that I might eventually transition to USB3 or Firewire? Honestly, I'm not a big fan of firewire, so USB3 may be my next step.

Thank you,
Scott

TB to ExpressCard adapters already exist and work (Sonnet Echo). For the rest I can not answer that, maybe the forum can help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by plus6vu 2014-04-27 01:02:08)

Matthias,

That gives me another avenue to explore. Buying a MAC was another option, though not my first choice.
Hopefully someone will chime in about used laptop information.

Thank you for the help!
Scott

Not precisely new, but a good bit newer than your P IV based Dell:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3557
I still use it...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel,

This is the kind of information that I'm looking for. Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for one.

Anyone else?

Scott

Im using a secondhand Thinkpad T60, windows 8 with low lantecies and no glitches with a cardbus and original Multiface.

I just bought the PCIe card to use with the multiface in my desktop, mistake!!
Lots of computer noise coming through my speakers now, makes it unusable.

I was using a cheap PCI cardbus converter to host the cardbus in my desktop which worked perfectly.

The weird thing is I didnt have any computer noise from the speakers before I installed the PCIe card but now even the cardbus with the cheap converter has some noise too but not nearly as much as the PCIe card.

So pissed off sad

9 (edited by ostrat 2014-10-03 09:10:56)

If you already have or planning on buying a laptop with an expresscard slot then you will still be able to use your PCMCIA Cardbus with an express card adapter as MC has already suggested. I too solved a similar problem with my EMU 1616m by using a Startech PCMCIA/express card adapter which works well in Win7/64 in a Lenovo X201 i5/540M 8GB RAM, 750GB HD laptop. I'm of course using a 20" external screen,mouse & keyboard!

If you o.t.o.h are looking for a newer pc, then I'd suggest at least an Intel i5/i7 cpu based pc with lots of pcie slots. Then you'd be able to connect as many pci-e cards! I came across this BP Technology CB242A PCMCIA/PCI-e adapter card. This may or may not work since I haven't tried it! So, it would be wise to check the specs & find out more on this card. Here below is the link to their web site.

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/CB242A.html

I also searched for a Cardbus/USB 2/3 adapter card, but this has eluded me so far! "Omtron" makes these, yet seem out of production or difficult to get hold of!