1 (edited by PrimeHD 2014-07-09 03:43:52)

Topic: DURec WAV channels naming

I record in UFX as a standalone unit, using USB stick or USB reader/writer+CF card.

It appears UFX always saves the same name of the wav file when recording session starts, ie. UFX01_00.WAV etc.

However this makes it really hard to identify what file belongs where, in case more than one device (or session) is used.

In my case, I use UFX to record sound while filming with multiple cameras. Currently UFX's non-descript file names are impossible to identify/sync with camera's video file, which is time stamped. On top of it, every new session/card seems to start with the same non-unique WAV file name, which is a big problem.

How do I make UFX assign sensible, unique names to audio files, for example:

- Time stamp as file name (or part of file name)

or

- custom file name

or at least

- unique file name, such as a number that keeps increasing and never repeats

Thanks in advance.

RAW footage converted to video+audio, fast - for real-time playback and edit
Raw4pro.com

Re: DURec WAV channels naming

You can't. A function to make the name editable is planned for a later firmware update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

As a first step, can you please add timestamp to the (generic UFX-assigned) name.

Looks like RME Multichannel Utility that joins file segments, may be looking for your standard naming convention.

That's fine - perhaps, keep the naming as-is, but please definitely add suffix with timestamp of the file creation, like so:

UFX01_00_20140709_224305.WAV

This will keep file name convention still identifiable by your utility, but also will make file names unique and human-readable.

Raw4pro.com

Good to hear that DURec filenames may in future be editable (pre-settable?).

The need for a timestamp is lower priority and I understand the difficulties (even for RME!) of implementing a realtime clock in the UFX.

The prime requirement is to avoid having an archive of indentically named files.  Being able to choose the first three alpha characters (instead pf fixed 'UFX') seems to be a good start..

As a distant prospect, maybe moving to the .bwf format?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

5 (edited by PrimeHD 2014-07-10 02:13:35)

panatrope wrote:

The need for a timestamp is lower priority

High priority for me, friend - and probably for anyone working with more than one device at a time. Like on a film set. Even if you genlock everything, media management is next to impossible without absolute time reference in the file name (or at least its universally-readable metadata.)

panatrope wrote:

and I understand the difficulties (even for RME!) of implementing a realtime clock in the UFX.

Difficulties? A $30 alarm clock sets itself over radio to the current time with high precision. This is an old, proven technology (at least here in the US.) One doesn't even have to set the time. Not sure how much easier can this get. Remember, we are not talking sample (or even frame) precision here; rather, 1 second precision is fine. This is just to see what media belongs to what production, and how it correlates to other video/audio files being recorded at the same time. Exact sync can then be done in post, but at least the timestamp in the file name gives a "good enough" reference point.

Raw4pro.com

Timestamps are impossible because the UFX has no realtime clock.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by PrimeHD 2014-07-10 02:22:33)

Thinking aloud here: when PC or iPad are connected, UFX could get current timestamp from them, even now, programmatically. That timestamp could then be used to add a suffix to the file name in DURec. You don't even need a running real-time clock in UFX for that - just poll the USB-connected device once at the point when you create/name the next file session...

Plus, I really think you RME engineers are somewhere in demi-gods status smile I used and thoroughly enjoyed your other devices too, throughout the years. Always stellar performance (but not loving the front controls, too confusing for me, so iPad app was a game changer here!)

Of course you guys can do whatever you set your minds to.

Raw4pro.com

Please stop thinking about it. If it would be possible then we would have done it already. Resources in the hardware are limited, not every function can be done. Even gods are limited wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by garry 2014-07-10 22:50:41)

naming would be a very welcome addition here, even if it was just named as the totalmix channel name...

Also maybe slightly off topic.. but when using the "RME Spltter v1.0" tool to import these into separate files on my pc, it would be extremely useful to choose which tracks stay mono and which tracks are stereo (i realise I could edit these later.. but the less work the better when dealing with huge long wav files)

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

10 (edited by garry 2016-01-13 00:52:15)

Hi again! just a bump & checking of there is still any plans for the naming feature? (hopefully possible to get the totalmix channel name?)

Also regarding the mono/stereo channels is that a planned feature? or even possible? (so that when the durec files are loaded into the multichannel wav processor, you would be able to select which tracks are mono and which export as stereo files?

Many thanks
Garry

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

These features have been discussed a lot in the past.  My original comments still stand.

While the possibility of importing time from an attached device has been suggested, note that the ability to record "stand-alone" is a significant part of the DURec feature.

It is understood that the current UFX brain is resource limited.  However, since the option is now there to control the UFX via USB from an iPad (or indeed any other device), there may the possibility of assisting users like PrimeHD by allowing TotalMix (or possibly a third party extension App) to "log" each start and stop of DURec using the iPad (or other device) real time clock, and produce an exportable log which could then be used to conform the DURec files (or just provide a written reference during audio post for 'normal' users).

Maybe easier to realise than diving into the crowded firmware space of the UFX?  Just a thought ...

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Bump..
Any news on this topic? Maybe a log file generated by TotalMix to be interpreted by the batch processor could be done.

Hi, it is nice the UFX+ and II are timestamping, but it would be super useful if those timestamps (e.g. date and time of file creation) could be written directly into the filename.