Topic: UFX: Can't get Talkback Midi Remote working

I spent about 4 hours on it today.
Talkback works GREAT with on-screen button in TotalMix FX.
However, cannot get MIDI remote to work.

Any number of things with different MIDI controllers, and tweaking many settings.
Usually connected to host w/ Firewire; Tried with USB as well.
Firmware and drivers updated about 2 months ago.

I've:
- connected USB midi controller (class compliant / Akai LPK-25) to mac
- Tested using MIDI Monitor app, to ensure right note is being played
- Looked up which note to play (A#6 on CH 1, have tried many other notes as well)
- TotalMix settings / Midi, index 1, "in use" checked, input port set to correct controller, Mackie protocol off ,
- Tried many permutations of all settings; tried patching external controllers into MIDI jacks on UFX.

Thoughts?  Anyone have this working, on Mac?

-jeremiah

1: MBP M1 Max 64gb
2: 2018 i7 Mini, 32gb
ProTools 2023.3, Live 11
UFX, FF400, Babyface

Re: UFX: Can't get Talkback Midi Remote working

There is no 'Mackie Protocol Off' setting other than not selecting any MIDI output port. You seem to have not enabled MIDI control (menu Options).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC - Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the "Enable Midi Control" top item in menu is checked.

In MIDI pane, Bottom of panel, A row of checkboxes the top one labelled something like "Enable Protocol" and various things like "Full LC Display Support" that relate to Mackie Control. 

w/ a row of checkboxes, at bottom of Midi panel.  (sorry if the names names are wrong; I'm no longer in front of it.)

Question:
I presume the TotalMix software is receiving and responding to MIDI; rather than the UFX hardware itself.  (except in stand-alone mode, which this is not.)

-jeremiah

ProTools 2023.3, Live 11
UFX, FF400, Babyface

Talkback over MidiControl only works, if you set up a talkback channel in TMFX preferences. Works fine with different Midi/Mackie controllers.

Thanks - yes talkback is working great via clicking the on-screen "talkback" button. 

However I want to control it with a hardware button.  Which is theoretically possible with MIDI, but I have not been able to get it working.

-jeremiah

ProTools 2023.3, Live 11
UFX, FF400, Babyface

The MIDI note that you sent has full velocity?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC - yes, I've sent notes at full velocity.  (also at lower velocities)  I'm in studio tomorrow so can get some screenshots.

Seems a TMFX software problem most likely, as the "talkback" on-screen button works great. 
First session with it is tomorrow AM; will get thru it w/ the on-screen button unless I manage to get it working w/ MIDI.

-jeremiah

ProTools 2023.3, Live 11
UFX, FF400, Babyface

Ok, error found. I forgot the Mackie Control support option that you turned off - it must be turned on. Now to not get the typical Mackie Control display you simply don't use a MIDI output port.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK - here is screenshot of my setup:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yp9mn70esrhw … .17.59.png

You can see Midi Monitor w/ some A#6 notes at velocity 127 on ch1 of controller LPK25.

- Enable protocol is ON
- not seen:  "Options/Enable MIDI Control" is checked.

Still not working in this configuration.
Other applications receive control OK from this controller.
Ran session this AM juggling w/ mouse button; Worked but not ideal.

Versions:
TMFX 0.999
Mac OS X 10.8.5
UFX v 3.22 via firewire.

ProTools 2023.3, Live 11
UFX, FF400, Babyface

Do Mono and Dim work when sending the expected MIDI note? Also please try the latest TM FX 1.01:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/to … b2_mac.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks I will try the new TMFX.

No, there has been no response with MIDI at all. 

-jeremiah

ProTools 2023.3, Live 11
UFX, FF400, Babyface

Did you try another Controller or even better a simple Midi-Keyboard connected via Midi-Cable to UFX-Midi In?

So far I've NOT tested w/ another controller.  Don't have one handy - will report back when I'm able to try that.

My understanding is that MIDI for the purpose of TMFX remote control - when NOT in stand-alone mode - is being received by TMFX software not UFX hardware.

Therefore I believe the controller input would not make a difference, but I'm willing to try.

-jeremiah

ProTools 2023.3, Live 11
UFX, FF400, Babyface

14 (edited by Ralf 2014-09-04 07:51:59)

There seem to be different octave numberings (Logic and rest of world). On my Mac the talkback-button (sent by BCF2000) shows A#5 in MIDI monitor. The box sends two messages: at pressing the button A#5 velocity 127 and at releasing A#5 vel. 0. Talkback in TotalmixFX is changing at releasing the button, but could need both messages. Perhaps this helps...

Best regards,

Ralf

It's working.

I recently did a full rebuild of my system and MIDI Remote is now working for TotalMix. I'm able to activate talkback using MIDI note A#5 (this is the note as reported by Midi Monitor)

I do wish the Talkback switch could be set to momentary instead of latch - or better yet, to latch when pressed quickly, and be momentary for long-presses. Some consoles behave this way and it's very intuitive.

< 0.5sec press = latch on  (talkback remains on when button released)
> 0.5sec press = momentary (talkback turns off when button released)

I've just searched the web to see if anyone has solved this issue (or created the feature by other means) and I've found numerous folks wishing for this feature. Perhaps not too hard to implement?  I just ran a voice session with midi keyboard as talkback, all in latching mode, and many times I forgot to engage or release the talkback.  Much better when it's momentary. 

-jeremiah

ProTools 2023.3, Live 11
UFX, FF400, Babyface

> There seem to be different octave numberings (Logic and rest of world).

Dusty topic (cough cough). There are three known 'standards' (which in fact doesn't exist) for octave numbering. C4 = MIDI note 60 is called the most common one, which is why I changed to it in the manuals some years ago. C3 = 60 has been introduced by Yamaha keyboards and is therefore also found in DAW software (but not all). The most seldom used one is where the lowest octave for the lowest MIDI note is 0 (instead of -1 or -2). Here MIDI note 60 equals C5.

Point is: the MIDI note number is always right and the same on all these systems, and will therefore work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, different numberings, sigh. It was definitely not working prior, as I'd tried all octaves; Probably a config issue on my system. Nonetheless good to remember. 

As for Feature Request:  Three Talkback Modes

1) Momentary 
2) Latch
3) Momentary / Latch  (Long-press = momentary, fast-press, less than .25sec perhaps = Latch)

For me (and I suspect many others...) Talkback is a super-important feature. I'm so happy it's in TotalMix. It works very, very well EXCEPT for the way it's switched on/off, which renders it difficult to use in practice. 

The momentary/latch mode works wonderfully on other consoles, it's very intuitive: To TALK to someone, you just hold the button. A quick tap makes it latch ON for ongoing talking. I suppose for truly proper talkback you need a TALLY light, so I'm not sure about that.

I hope you can consider it.  Seems (to me) like this would be simple to implement. 

-jeremiah

ProTools 2023.3, Live 11
UFX, FF400, Babyface

Coming in very late on this but with some good news.

I've spent considerable time looking for a momentary solution like you Jeremiah. I have achieved the goal via a simple Lemur Template with just 2 screen buttons that I run on an old iPhone 3 wirelessly via the same LAN as my studio computer. The buttons send OSC. One offers momentary control the other latch to switch Totamix FX talkback control.

I really don't quite know how I managed to do it I simply copied the latching talkback button from the full Lemur Totalmix template into a blank new template then duplicated and changed a few settings and it just worked momentary style.

If anyone wishes to try my little template just go to <www.jaminajar.com/Lemur>

I have a new idea of how this can be done using MIDI messages in Lemur as well. Button on sends A#5 note on & note off (just like a Mackie control does). Button release send the same message. Theoretically this should be a momentary switch as well. I just need to figure out how to do it in Lemur. It might require the linking of 2 objects to get it going. The benefit of using MIDI is I can use a wired connection which I prefer.

19 (edited by kpodsiadlo 2016-04-08 19:33:56)

The Talkback button reacts on
0x90,0x5E,0x00

Meaning, NoteOn, A#5, VELOCITY ZERO (= NOTE OFF).
It'd be nice to include it in the manual, had to reverse engineer it and made me almost mad by the time i finished.

yes a#5!... not a#6

and yes bump for toggle mode changes, its a pain

www.yila.co.uk