Topic: Trouble clocking Profire 610 with an ADI-2

I recently purchased an ADI-2 converter for my home studio. I am using a M-Audio Profire 610 and want it to be the slave and my ADI 2 to be the master. I ran SPDIF out the back of the ADI 2 out into the SPDIF IN of the Profire 610. I also ran a SPDIF cable from the out of the profire to the in of the ADI 2. I set my sample rate correctly for my session and open the driver software clicked the settings tab and chaNged the clock source to external spdif. I also changed my clock source under session set up in Pro Tools. I set the input and output level on the ADI 2 to -10 dBv. I had the circle under CLOCK lit up that has the line connecting to INPUT which was set to coaxial (since I am using spdif). Output was set to CON. Both the CLOCK Section and the INPUT section in the middle of the unit are blinking. Also the blue power light on my Profire 610 starts blinking when I set it to clock externally. Pro Tools gives me an error message telling me to check my clock source and sample rate.

I have read a million similar questions on google and have tried just about everything to get it to work, but those light just keep on blinking telling me something is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I think I am a bit confused. I know the ADI-2 has 2 analog inputs, but if I am not connected to the computer in anyway how would I ever get any use out of those. Also when clocking with the ADI will I plug my monitor speakers into it or leave them in the Profire Line Outs.

Re: Trouble clocking Profire 610 with an ADI-2

You seem to have created a clock loop, with each device trying to sync to the other. One of them must run on internal clock, and the other will sync to it.

The analog inputs can feed any digital input with SPDIF or ADAT, whether that is a computer connected device or a standalone unit like a DAT, digital mixer, or whatever.
And you are free to connect your monitors wherever you choose....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: Trouble clocking Profire 610 with an ADI-2

OK well I have also tried setting it up with SPDIF running from only the out of the ADI 2 to the SPDIF in of the Profire. Then selecting the corresponding sample rate for my session under clock (which was 44.1). It still wouldn't sync up the Profire when I changed it to clock externally via spdif.

I bought this item used off eBay and am starting to wonder if it is an actual issue with the unit. So I guess if you could talk me through exactly how it should be set up, and offer any ideas on how to find out if it is an equipment issue or a user issue.