Topic: Madi FX Clocking Issue

Hello.

I use a master clock to control a Burl Mothership, Antelope Orion, and RME Madi Fx .

All three devices just mentioned are set to slave to the master clock.

When changing sample rates on the master clock the sample rate displayed in the input status window and and the sample rate in

the clock mode window do not always match.

At 44.1 all devices are synced.  Clock mode window on HDSPE FX setting shows sample rate at 44.1k

At 48k  all devices sync to 48k. Clock mode window on HDSPE FX setting shows sample rate at 48k

At 88.2 the input status window shows all devices locked but not synced. Clock mode window on HDSPE FX setting shows sample

rate at 44.1 not at 88.2 which it should be.

Sometimes Sample rate in the input status window is synced at 44.1 and the clock mode window shows 88.2

I can remedy the the situation by manually changing the sample rate in the clock mode window to match the sample rate

selected on my master clock, but the madi fx should be chasing my clock automatically.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Re: Madi FX Clocking Issue

The clock rate does not follow to Double and Quad Speed because the unit supports SMUX (48k Frame). It will do so as soon as you start a software with the correct sample rate.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The clock rate does not follow to Double and Quad Speed because the unit supports SMUX (48k Frame). It will do so as soon as you start a software with the correct sample rate.

I notice that when I have 48k frame rate selected that sample rate mismatching creates a change in pitch alone instead of a change in pitch and horrible digital noise.

Is there any advantage to running at the 96k frame rate as opposed to 48k ?

By the way I do not understand why SMUX support would stop the Madi fx from chasing the master clock to 88.2 and 96K
Could you please explain a little more?

Thanks,

J.P.

> Is there any advantage to running at the 96k frame rate as opposed to 48k ?

Manual page 87 at the bottom.

> By the way I do not understand why SMUX support would stop the Madi fx from chasing the master clock to 88.2 and 96K

Obviously there is no clock information that tells the unit in which SMUX mode it is. No SMUX, SMUX2, SMUX4...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is there no way to get the Madi Fx to slave to the sample rate designated by my master clock without having to manually adjust the settings in the Clock Mode window? Again this is only a problem when switching between 44.1 or 48 and 88.2 or above.

Using the AES input as clock source would do so.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That doesn't seem to work at all for me. When I choose AES as the madi fx clock source and switch between 44.1 and 96 on my master clock the sample rate in the madi fx clock mode window shows 88.2 as the sample rate. This happens regardless of any other settings in the madi fx settings dialog window.

That seems to work for you. It allows you to change between single, double and quad speed externally. And my previous comment stays valid: the correct sample rate is set as soon as some software sets it. The MADI FX can not control the software.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The software is running at 96k , my master clock is set to 96k , the Madi FX is at 88.2
What's the problem?

Please provide a screenshot of the FX Settings dialog.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME