Topic: DirectMusic MIDI

What's the new "DirectMusic MIDI" for (driver 4.03)?

Re: DirectMusic MIDI

It's not new, it's long been there. Now you can disable it, that's what's new...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok but what is it useful for?

Gettting rid of dDevices that MS fails to number consecutively. Disabled the 'normal' Windows MIDI ports will show up and be numbered correctly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Useful for Cubase/Nuendo I guess?

In REAPER I only see one MIDI port with "DirectMusic MIDI" enabled.

Obviously your card has only one MIDI port fryingpan

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok. So disabled "DirectMusic MIDI" setting doesn't have any benefits here? Is Windows MIDI "better" (less jitter or something) than DirectMusic MIDI?

Looks like DirectMusic MIDI has some advantages:

"DirectMusic addresses the problems of Windows' legacy MidiOut API, which has shaky timing and limited real-time control."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectMusic

Why you spread only the info that you like? DirectMusic is deprecated since many years (!!!)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … 85%29.aspx

Note the 2004 at the bottom of the page. And therefore not supported by all DAW softwares, only a few. The others get perfect timing without it...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm just "asking". So basically the option should be disabled on all systems, right?

You set it to what YOU need. That easy.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Can you explain the difference? What would you suggest for use with REAPER?

Please try it out or refer to Reaper help or support to find out if there is a difference with this software. The option to  disable DMM was added primarily to solve a problem of MIDI device numbering that appeared in Cubase when using multiple cards. It has nothing to do with one or the other being "better", and the choice between the two is also not related to this new option in any way.... If you don't have any specific problems with Directmusic MIDI, just ignore the option...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME