Topic: Soundcraft CAT5 MADI Stream + RME MADIFace USB

Dear RME,

I have a Soundcraft Expression 3 and Mini-Stagebox 32 connected using CAT5 cables. 

While not officially supported, I have a friend who has broken out the CAT5 MADI data cable using a short cable (<3m) into BNC connectors.   This would basically take the differential balanced MADI data signal in the CAT5 implementation and convert it to a unipolar single ended data signal with a BNC connector.

I was curious if anyone has successfully used an RME MADIFace USB box to snag the audio from a Soundcraft (or Studer) CAT5 MADI stream.  If so, I will be purchasing an RME MADIFace!

I seached through earlier posts saying this could not be done, but after reading the AES10 spec it seems that you could grab just the audio (not the control data) from the stream.

Michael Grimaila

Re: Soundcraft CAT5 MADI Stream + RME MADIFace USB

grimaila wrote:

Dear RME,

I have a Soundcraft Expression 3 and Mini-Stagebox 32 connected using CAT5 cables. 

While not officially supported, I have a friend who has broken out the CAT5 MADI data cable using a short cable (<3m) into BNC connectors.   This would basically take the differential balanced MADI data signal in the CAT5 implementation and convert it to a unipolar single ended data signal with a BNC connector.

I was curious if anyone has successfully used an RME MADIFace USB box to snag the audio from a Soundcraft (or Studer) CAT5 MADI stream.  If so, I will be purchasing an RME MADIFace!

I seached through earlier posts saying this could not be done, but after reading the AES10 spec it seems that you could grab just the audio (not the control data) from the stream.

Michael Grimaila

Based upon the lack of responses to my post, I believe that the what I was hoping was possible is not.  I guess I will have to invest in the Soundcraft MADI-USB card to be able to record while using my Mini-Stagebox.  I was hoping to hear that RME would be able to snag the audio stream .... that way I could invest my $$$ in an RME MADIFace USB interface.