Topic: HDSP 9632 4.x Driver and Firmware update Sound Quality issue

Hi!

I've been using my RME Hammerfall HDSP9632 since the mid 2000's and have always reveled at the incredible sound quality and hardiness of the card.

The last Firmware update prior to this one was performed approximately 2 years ago, (which caused odd ADAT track numbering consistency issues at the time, but I've adjusted for the inconsistencies) and there were no other issues. 

Most recently, upon experiencing unrelated software issues I decided to check up on the latest RME updates and found the 4.x and Firmware upgrades and installed them, going through the motions of upgrading the drivers to support the Firmware upgrade, then performing the Firmware upgrade, then updating to the 4.x drivers as written in the readmes. 

Since then, while all tracks were consistent in my system and I've integrated the new "Total Mix" software interface, something in the sound quality has changed, though I've found it tough to describe as the change is subtle but yet has an impact. Somewhere between a mix of minor phasing, and compression/low frequency distortion, and degradation on recording and playback. The problem is barely noticeable when you're playing everything from one sound source, however I can't compare to anything else with the exception of hearing the input quality versus the output recording, which used to be consistent.

I would like to know if it were possible to rollback the firmware to its previous state (anyway to check prev Version no.?), along with the previous drivers, if only to check to see if indeed the problem lies here, since I've tried almost everything else.

At this time, I've rolled back the driver to version 3.3.2.0 however the firmware has not been changed since the update.

My relevant setup:

The only outboard direct connection to the card follows:

Yamaha 01V connected via Optical ADAT out/in, + SPDIF connection.
Rec Input to Yamaha is sent out to card via virtual buses (1,2,3 or 4) and playback is sent from computer via ADAT 1+2 and 3+4 to Yamaha for my current needs. 
Yamaha speaker outs to Mackie HR824 monitors

Potentially Relevant Computer specs:

Windows 7 OS Svc Pack 1
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Driver Version: 344.75

Primary Audio Software:

Cubase 7.0.1

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me on the matter!

Thank you.

Re: HDSP 9632 4.x Driver and Firmware update Sound Quality issue

Firmware or driver updates can and will have no influence on "sound quality" whatsoever.  Moreover, you are using the digital ADAT connection, and there is no change to the signal at all...

Whatever you are hearing must have other reasons, i.e. some misconfiguration. Please try to measure what exactly is happening, this might help you find the cause. "Phasing" could be caused by monitoring running both through the RME mixer and the audio software.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by dahlialynn 2015-01-05 16:50:58)

RME Support wrote:

Firmware or driver updates can and will have no influence on "sound quality" whatsoever.  Moreover, you are using the digital ADAT connection, and there is no change to the signal at all...

Whatever you are hearing must have other reasons, i.e. some misconfiguration. Please try to measure what exactly is happening, this might help you find the cause. "Phasing" could be caused by monitoring running both through the RME mixer and the audio software.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you for your swift reply!

It may not be sound "quality" but there is a difference in how the sound is being processed during recording after ADAT transfers the non-changed signal, since the recording sounds more "muffled" than the input signal I am hearing over the outboard mixer headphones.

I further tested this by monitoring the input signal in realtime to see what the card is sending out vs the input, and there was no apparent change either, which is good, though I remain mystified as to the cause of the problem.

Additionally I'm not using the monitoring function within Cubase when recording, and the description of "phasing" is just one part of how I'm attempting to describe what overall output mix sounds like, because it's not easily detectable nor describable in simple terms, however it does become easily apparent when comparing input signal to recorded output.

I'll try to further test to make sure I'm hearing right by connecting an external audio playback device to the outboard mixer and hear how the mix sounds from the same setup sans the computer, then compare the computer output for the same mix back to back.

I'll of course look into the configuration once more.

Thank you again,

Dahlia

dahlialynn wrote:

It may not be sound "quality" but there is a difference in how the sound is being processed during recording after ADAT transfers the non-changed signal, since the recording sounds more "muffled" than the input signal I am hearing over the outboard mixer headphones.

There is no "processing" at all, neither before nor after the driver/firmware update. ADAT signals are being passed on without any changes, the only possible change in the mixer is playback level... Again, please try to measure the difference you are hearing for a clue on possible causes.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by Valorous 2017-11-24 23:20:18)

I have an issue with my card:

I just reformatted my PC, the only difference is I updated/flashed newest firmware to my Hammerfall.  All software is identical and cloned from before as I've reformatted several times in the past years.
Now, my real time peak in Cubase is terrible, and I don't get nearly the same voice count in Vienna Ensemble 5 or 6.  I could play 5 kontakts with 10 outputs, and 3 omnispheres with 8 out's each, simultaneously with no clicks or pops.  Now I'm lucky to play 5-6 simultaneous patches.
Thanks for the support RME,  I'm only in the middle of scoring 3 huge video games.  I'll be going UAD very soon.

-A Pissed off composer.

RME Support wrote:

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME