Topic: Octamic D to the Unbalanced Inputs of a Recorder

Hello Knut or Daniel (or knowledgeable RME user),

I have 3 Octamic-D units, which I was hoping to use with a recorder with ADAT inputs. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one in the time and budget available.  My new recorder is one with unbalanced inputs.

I've talked with a couple of smart people from the AES (I'm not one of them), and they've told me that I need to know the output configuration of the Octamic-D in order to know if I need any special adapters "at the source end" (the Octamics) to go from TRS to TS cabling.

Could you tell me please if I need to make adapters that tie tip and sleeve together, or ring and sleeve, or any other configuration.  I'm not so worried about the dB loss, altho I would like to know what to expect. I'm more concerned with the fidelity of the signal.

With the recorder comes DB25-to-TRS/M cables -

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDUzWDgwNQ==/ … n/$_57.JPG

- and if needed, I would either alter the male TRS plugs for use with the Octamics, or make TRS/F-to TS/M adapters to your spec.

Thanks very much.

Re: Octamic D to the Unbalanced Inputs of a Recorder

As mentioned in the manual the outputs are servo balanced. You can leave pin 3 open. If you connect pin 3 to ground then the outputs will have 6 dB more output level. Nothing breaks or goes wrong either way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME