1 (edited by steffen_ring 2017-01-23 15:21:59)

Topic: No output from HDSP 9632; PCIe to PCI issue - Resolved

Hi,

referring to this topic: http://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=21865

.... I did get a PCIe to PCI converter and except for a few physical challenges the installation went well. I installed the driver (before the card) and the flash update. 9632 is recognized by Studio 1 and when playing back the meeters in Totalmix are moving... but... no sound is coming out of the analog out, nor the headphone jack (unbalanced break-out cable). Main Out in Totalmix is set to Analog 1/2. When the volume is set up to 0 db it seem like the transients are creating a noise in the headphones.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Update: The analog in 1 and 2 are working fine. I have tried two different (brand new) breakout cables.

Re: No output from HDSP 9632; PCIe to PCI issue - Resolved

Hi,
it is difficult to advice. Could be 3 things,
wrong settings in totalmix, you need the see the audio in 2 rows (if you have all 3 enabled) the middle row (where you see all software outputs) and the bottom row where you see what is sent to the physical output.
Totalmix is very powerful and easy once you get it, but that can take some time. Can you mix the input to the output in totalmix without any daw active?

Could be an issue with the pcie-pci converter (try a different slot).
Or the break out cable.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Vincent, thx again for your reply!

I do see signal in both the middle row and the bottom row at playback. And I have signal from input (top row) to bottom row without the daw active.

I tried a different slot with same results. The breakout cables I have tried are both brand new; were in sealed plastic bags both of them.

A friend of mine suggested it might be a driver problem. Would it be worth while to install an back-level driver?

Could it be a defect in the 9632 card it self? Are there there any diagnostic SW to check it out?

Ah I see. AFAIK the driver nor the PCI slot do influence the playback of the input channel, it is a digital mixer on the card itself. SO if no sound is heard from the input channel using totalmix, it can be 3 things.
Wrong totalmix settings, most probable cause you have 2 cables (try to load some presets)
Defective cable
Defective card.
Does studio one see the input?
Does everything look ok in the hdsp settings? Sync to internal, sample rate?

Vincent, Amsterdam

I have played a little more around with this, and I am now able to get output from SPDIF and ADAT; both from input (Analog, SPDIF and ADAT) and from DAW playback. But I can still not get any output from Analog Out. So it seems like a defect card is the only option left?

Is there a way to diagnostic a HW error on the 9632? What are the repair options?

Of course I don't know about repairs, but if you have something you can use as a DAC from the spdif or adat out that will be easier and more cost effective for sure. You still have the advantage of the very good rme drivers then. For my main DAW I use a HDSP9652 which has no AD/DA at all and that works 100%.

I hope you didn't pay to much for the card! Is a refund not possible?

Vincent, Amsterdam

Vincent.

thx again for your support!

I did not spent too much on the 9632 (like 67 € + 32 € for the CSIe to CSI card ). Being on a budget (read: a wife and 3 kind :-) I don't want to spend too much extra to make this work. 
I do have various options to get output via SPDIF or ADAT. I have an Mbox and an Mbox 2 Pro; both with SPDIF-in and a Mackie Blackbird Firewire interface that was planned to use as a stand-alone 8 channels ADAT for the 9632. Will I still have the low latency figures of the RME interface when e.g. using the Mackie as DAC, do you know?

I still have one final test to do: My youngest boy has a computer which is a little older than mine; with both PCI and PCIe slots. When I find time I will try to install the 9632 to eliminate that it is the CSIe to CSI converter that does not work. Will keep you posted.

Yes you will have roughly the same latency. Why roughly? All DA/AD converters have some latency and as a rule they have become a little faster in the years. The 9632 is not very fast and the blackbird I don't know. But differences are very minimal (sub  1 or 2 ms) Latency from the drivers are an order higher. Differences in converter latency is only an issue when recording multiple mics over different interfaces that need to be phase accurate. The mackie is your best choice cause as far as I know the mboxes can not be used for stand alone conversion. Then the audio needs to go through the driver and this will add a large latencey. The mackie has an onboard dsp mixer just as the hdsp has. I am sure the Mbox can't do it  (I have one too) and 95% sure of the mbox2 (I used one at a friends). I am using a tascam FW1804 in the same way so I am confident this will work nicely
Great price for the hdsp!

Vincent, Amsterdam

I did try to install the 9632 on my sons computer, and it worked perfectly well in the PCI slot with output on both analog out and headphone. So HW error on the 9632 card is eliminated.

I then tried to un-install and reinstall the driver and card on my own computer and it actually did not go so well (and now I remember that the same thing happened the first time I tried):

I first installed the driver; then powered off and installed the 9632 card in the PCIe to PCI card. When powering up again nothing happened (black screen). After waiting like 30 minutes I had to power off by pressing the power button for 10 seconds. Then, when I powered up again Windows started and the 9632 was recognized (but still not analog out). 

So it seems that the PCIe to PCI converter causes the initial installation to fail; but how it can work in the second attempt I don't know.

One more thought. Does the PCIe to PCI adapter have a power connector for extra power, if yes try that. It sounds like the HDSP is not getting enough power/current.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Vinark, I really think we are approaching the problem now. I did have the power connector on. Inspired by your proposal I tried different slots; and also checked the voltage on each pin. Everything seems to be ok, but the symptoms still suggest too little power. Pressed hard I have some very distorted sound through; same as if an amp's PSU is broken.

I then purchaged a new PCI to PCIe adapter with a cable between the two (Delock), to see if that would provide the necessary power (it also solve the physical implementation issues I had btw). Now much more sound is coming through; but it is still distorted as if the power is too low.

Is there any way to provide power to the 9632 directly?

12 (edited by vinark 2015-04-11 18:07:38)

Do these adapters use 2 or 4 pins of the power plug you connect? If they use all 4 I can not understand how power can not be sufficient. If only 2, you seem to need one with 4....
As for powering the card directly, I am sure it is possible but I have no practical idea how and this will need the help from RME or someone more knowledgeable.
But I am sure we/you will get there in the end!

Vincent, Amsterdam

The power connector for both PCIe to PCI adapters are 4 pins; one is the big one like 2,5 cm and the other is fed by 1 cm 4 pins. I have tried to install the 9632 again on my sons computer, but this time through the adapters. Still bad output. This was just to eliminate an error on my PC's PSU.

How do you think I can get attention from RME? It does not seems like they have been too willing to interfere in our conversation so far :-)

Yeah I noticed that too! Just post a question directly on the forum, something like:is there a way to power the HDSP9632 or just it's output stage?

Vincent, Amsterdam

I think this is not a power problem but an incompatibility of PCI, where the 9632 is not working with the special PCIe to PCI adapter. There is nothing we can do then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thx for reply! But isn't strange that everything else is working (analog input, ADAT in and out, SPDIF in and out)?

17 (edited by steffen_ring 2017-01-30 19:45:52)

I think I owe an update to this old thread.

I used my 9632 with my Mackie Blackbird for while, and except for the missing analog out on the 9632 everything was working (inc TotalMix etc.).

Then I purchased a new PCI to PCIe adapter: StarTech PCI Express to PCI card. Now everything is working perfectly well including analog out - both line and headphone.

Thx to all who gave advise on this! Really appreciated!

Hi all,

There is a new ASRock motherboard (new to me anyway) that has a PCI slot.  The board is the ASRock Motherboard Z270 PRO4.    It's not an adapter, but a regular PCI slot.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z270%20Pro4/index.asp

2 PCIe 3.0 x16, 3 PCIe 3.0 x1, 1 PCI, 1 M.2 Socket (Key E)

I don't work for ASRock or anything like that -- I'm a composer.  The board is not weird -- not a server board or otherwise odd for music.  It can take up to 64GB of RAM and has USB 3.0 and all that.

Kind regards,

John

19 (edited by ramses 2017-05-05 10:09:59)

Don't say a serverboard is weired wink

Mine is running rock solid because of this. And on top it has a phantastic layout of PCIe 3.0 lanes from CPU and PCIe 2.0 from chipset.

One x16 PCIe 3.0 Socket for a high performance graphic card and then add. 2 x8 and 1 x4 PCIe 3.0 sockets plus 2x PCIe 2.0 (x4, x2) cpming from chipset (C612). And lanes not shared with something else like in many consumer designs.

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … mponenten/

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1731-X10SRi-F-Block-Diagram-jpg

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13