Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Vielen Dank an alle für eure Antworten!

etaaustraliaonline.com/de

303 (edited by Danny_DJ 2016-12-02 00:52:05)

Hey,

what is the power consumption of the BFP, when its connected to my Mac and the Mac is asleep? Macs always power thru their USB ports. The unit never gets unlit.

As per the manual:
•    Typical power consumption: 2.9 Watts
•    Current at 5 V bus power operation: 600 mA (2.9 Watts)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sometimes when I touch the babyface pro, I get a small static discharge. Is this safe for the unit >?

Yes, no problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks ! wink

I'm about to receive a Korg Electribe2, which has 2x1/4 outputs and according to Korg they're "phone jack", doesn't say if its balanced and unbalanced. What's the best way of hooking this to the BFP?

I have only balanced cables around, both 1/4 and XLR male to 1/4. Are they good to go and which input on the BFP should I use? Would be more convenient in my case to use inputs 1/2, but I'll find a way to use the 1/4 if that's better.

Thanks!

Hi,

I wrote before about my Babyface Pro clipping my monitors, so I had to get a passive volume knob for my monitors to solve the problem. Now I have had a different problem with it for a while.

What happens is that when I listen to music, the music can suddenly sound distorted. It's like a digital distortion, most noticeable in the lows, especially on kick drums etc. The physical signal metering lights on the Babyface Pro are in the reds, and the clipping light is on. It doesn't seem relevant to Windows 10, because it can happen when listening to wav/FLAC in VLC, and it can just as well happen in Spotify/YouTube. The only way to get rid of the clipping is by unplugging the USB cable from the Babyface, then replugging it. The Babyface then reconnects and plays the music normally. In other words, the clipping doesn't seem to come from the actual sound source, nor the sound player.

Has anybody had this issue? I'm on Windows 10 and i haven't been able to pinpoint the cause or trigger for this. I don't know exactly what triggers this clipping, and I don't know if it's related to something deeper in Windows 10, or if it's the RME drivers or if the unit's hardware is defect in some way.

I tried to replicate the problem described above and I sort of managed to do it. This seems to happen when I watch a few YouTube videos in a row. I don't know if different clips on YouTube use different sample rates or not, but something about this is triggering an "Audio Enhancement" feature in Windows which boosts the volume and makes the whole signal clip. The lights actually go red and indicate clipping, and it is very audible too.

Here is an image showing where this "Audio Enhancement" tab can be found:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4mlhmu6wkyc3 … e.png?dl=0

The default setting was the "Disable all enhancements" box checked. But I found out after some testing that indeed THAT is the cause of the problem. I have to leave it unchecked, but make sure nothing else is then checked below. Now it seems as if I cannot trigger the distortion anymore.

So I guess I solved my problem then. I'm just surprised nobody else reported this issue before. Is there a "reasonable" explanation for this? Anyone knows?

I always figured this pesky Windows behaviour was widely known amongst sound pro's. It has passed on this forum several times, IIRC.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

It did it again - the sound is clipping in Windows 10 again. To prevent it, I needed to open the audio enhancement tab again and just enable and then disable audio enhancement, then click apply. I wish there was a permanent way to make the Babyface Pro not clip in Win10.

313 (edited by Erkan 2016-12-29 21:13:08)

Matthias, I hope you have the time to watch the video I will link just below.

I found a semi-reliable way to reproduce this clipping issue on Windows 10 (it doesn't seem to happen in Windows 7). If my RME BabyFace Pro is idle and I hit play in for example VLC, to play a song, then it usually takes half a second for the BabyFace Pro to play the song. If I manage to play another sound from another source within this time, then both VLC and the other source will start playing at the same time. When this happens, it seems as if something triggers within Windows and makes the signal clip (it's actually clipping, both visually on the level meters of the RME BabyFace and audibly from the speakers).

Here is what I mean - I hope you can watch the whole 5 minutes:

https://youtu.be/KixrjoO32xs

Is this some issue with the RME drivers for Windows 10, or is it an issue within Windows 10? What do you think?

Edit: Yes I was correct, I cannot reproduce this under Windows 7 - only in Windows 10 so far.

You might have installed a tool/software/app which uses the sAPO system (Audio Enhancement), and which runs wild in that moment. Such a tool might not be visible in the tab itself. For example Equalizer APO will not show up there, and sAPOs installed from Realtek (onboard sound) do show up only in their own tab. Still they are present in the whole system and can cause unexpected problems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the quick reply!

I uninstalled everything I could think of that had the potential to affect the audio stream in Windows 10 - Skype, Spotify and some other things. Rebooted and tested again - still clipping. Uninstalled my second soundcard (ASUS Xonar DGX) which I use with my gaming headset for whenever I do some gaming - after a reboot, still same issue. Went into Device Manager and removed all hidden and unused audio devices - rebooted and tried again to no avail. Reinstalled the RME drivers and rebooted - still same behaviour.

Then I had an idea: what if I try to reproduce this bug with Microsoft Edge as the YouTube player, instead of Google Chrome? To my surprise - I cannot reproduce this bug in Microsoft Edge! It's only happening in Google Chrome. I checked Chrome for any audio settings but couldn't find any.

Then I did the same test again - play a local music file and something else at the same time. Instead of playing something from YouTube, I tried playing a local music file + Spotify together to see if that bug would arise again. It didn't.

It seems as if it only happens in Google Chrome so far. That's weird. Also, when I boot into Windows 7 and try the same thing there (play local music file + Chrome and YouTube), it doesn't clip. Seems to be a combination of Windows 10 and Google Chrome.

If this is a fault in Windows/Chrome causing my BabyFace Pro to clip, then I guess I can live with that. The most important thing is that it doesn't do this under Windows 7 where I work with audio and music.

Hi all,

I am happy with my Babyface however I am having problems trying to send audio to Chew.tv app in Windows 10 (Open Broadcast System for streaming), I added all the outputs in Chew.tv app but I can't get the audio from Ableton, only from the Windows audio default output. Does anyone have any clue how I have to setup totalmix/ableton/Chew.tv to stream audio?

Thanks in advance and happy 2017!

317 (edited by velocity.imaging 2017-01-05 23:47:29)

Does anyone know what the external adapters power requirements are for operating in CC Mode?  (I am sorry if this has been asked before I do not see a way to search text)

I may have misplaced the correct adapter when moving my home a few months back (everything is in boxes), but I recall finding on the web that the Babyface Pro needs something in the power range of the 9-12 volts DC @ 1.5A for operating in CC Mode. What I found in one of my boxes was an adapter that outputs 12 volts DC @ 3A.  It looks like the right unit and even fits the Babyface Pro, but I am afraid of smoking the device if I were to plug it in.

Does anyone know what the external adapters power requirements are?  Thanks in advance for any help.

garviz wrote:

Hi all,

I am happy with my Babyface however I am having problems trying to send audio to Chew.tv app in Windows 10 (Open Broadcast System for streaming), I added all the outputs in Chew.tv app but I can't get the audio from Ableton, only from the Windows audio default output. Does anyone have any clue how I have to setup totalmix/ableton/Chew.tv to stream audio?

Thanks in advance and happy 2017!

be sure to send your master ableton output to one of those inputs you listen to in chew.tv's inputs.

but I am afraid of smoking the device if I were to plug it in.

you never can kill a device if the voltage of a AC/DC power supply if it is the correct one. the amperage cannot be to high, since the power supply doesn't "push" the energy into the device - instead the device "pulls" as much as required.

319 (edited by velocity.imaging 2017-01-06 04:01:07)

@Danny_DJ

you never can kill a device if the voltage of a AC/DC power supply if it is the correct one. the amperage cannot be to high, since the power supply doesn't "push" the energy into the device - instead the device "pulls" as much as required.

So, what you're saying is although the output of the wall transformer (switching power supply) outputs 12v @ 3A that spec is "potential" and not absolute?  The Babyface Pro will only pull what it can handle and not damage it by overloading?

Hey,

my BF works fine, but Totalmix has disappeared from the system tray. I can't start it manually (in \Windows\System32\). It just doesn't open.

Any hints?

Thx!
Stefan

velocity.imaging wrote:

@Danny_DJ

So, what you're saying is although the output of the wall transformer (switching power supply) outputs 12v @ 3A that spec is "potential" and not absolute?  The Babyface Pro will only pull what it can handle and not damage it by overloading?

The amperage spec on the transformer is what the transformer can output in terms of amperage. If a device tries to pull more than 3A from that particular transformer, then I guess the transformer could malfunction (not sure about any side effects from that, maybe a burnt transformer?).

More importantly, you should be very careful with voltages. Voltage is pushed, while amperage is pulled. If you plug in 30 V to a device that requires 12 V, that device WILL get 30 V whether it likes it or not. Components will get damaged in that case.

> Voltage is pushed, while amperage is pulled

That's a really useful phrase to explain what's going on in a simple way. Thanks for that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I need a reliable audio/midi interface for integrating my ipad pro in my live performance setup and the babyface pro seems to be a promising solution. For example for using it with my vocoder app, I would need the midi in, a mic in and two line outs simultaneously. Does anybody use the bf in a similar setup and can confirm that it works stable and reliably? And (less important) can I power the bf with some kind of battery pack?

It would be great if you could share your experiences.

Greetings from Berlin
Anton

Erkan wrote:

The amperage spec on the transformer is what the transformer can output in terms of amperage. If a device tries to pull more than 3A from that particular transformer, then I guess the transformer could malfunction (not sure about any side effects from that, maybe a burnt transformer?).

More importantly, you should be very careful with voltages. Voltage is pushed, while amperage is pulled. If you plug in 30 V to a device that requires 12 V, that device WILL get 30 V whether it likes it or not. Components will get damaged in that case.

Okay, but if the amperage of the transformer is 3 Amps and the BabyFace Pro needs 1.5...  Won't that burn the circuits in the BabyFace?

velocity.imaging wrote:
Erkan wrote:

Okay, but if the amperage of the transformer is 3 Amps and the BabyFace Pro needs 1.5...  Won't that burn the circuits in the BabyFace?

Nope, because your device will be pulling as much amperage as it needs to function and that will be the limit of how much amperage there is in the entire circuit, including the transformer.

It's like if you try to suck air through a pipe, the amount of air you suck out from the pipe on your end will be the same amount of air flowing into the pipe from the other end. It's the same with amperage in electrical circuits. So, to keep it short, always be very careful with voltage ratings on gear because that is the 99% most likely reason something will fry if you get that wrong.

326 (edited by AlienSurfer 2017-01-17 22:28:59)

Currently I am using an Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo system with an M-Audio AP2496 PCI interface (£99.99 in 04/2003).  This serves my needs quite well, except that I have no pre-amps.  I will be upgrading my system to something like Skylake, Skylake-E or maybe AMD Ryzen, and will still be using the most stable and reliable operating system for audio ever invented (sarcasm) Windows 7, or perhaps 10 x64.
Unfortunately for the consumer, there appears little choice for reliably functioning audio interfaces at fairly low prices, so the BBF Pro or HDSPe AIO (PCIe) seem to be the lowest priced options that actually work and with sensible latency and CPU hit.

So, I've read through all 7 pages of this thread, and have seen some nice answers to questions, even some rather perplexing ones!  Now, as a prospective BBF Pro customer, I have a few of my own.

• #1: Power Switch
    It's been mentioned a couple of times that there is no Power switch, and so no way to manually turn the unit off, not without physically disconnecting the USB cable, or switching off the connected computer, ensuring that BIOS setting have been adjusted to de-power USB ports when off/standby.
        ~
    Question 1A: Using USB bus power only, Would it be possible to wire up a USB cable with an in-line switch on the +5v and or -5v lines?
        ~
    Question 1B: With an external PSU attached, would it be possible to cut the +/-5v lines on a USB cable, using it for Data only?  Power on/off would be through the PSU (AC mains switch).
             -   -   -   -   -   -   -

• #2: Digitising Vinyl recordings
    I currently have no pre-amp in my current setup, but if I was to buy the BBF Pro particularly, I see it has a clean low-noise pre-amplifiers that could be utilised for capturing the low output signal from a vinyl turntable/record deck.  I do understand that there is a debate around applying RIAA equalisation in an anlogue phono pre-amplfier, or capturing 'raw' and applying EQ digitally, I'd prefer the later.
        ~
    Question 2: The manual suggests IN 1/2 can be used with unbalanced sources, connecting XLR pin-3 to ground [just as Neutrik NA2MPMF].  I'm guessing that it'd be best to use IN 1/2 rather than 3/4 because of greater gain range flexibility.
             -   -   -   -   -   -   -

• #3: Unbalanced Output
    So OUT 1/2 are balanced XLR and to get unbalanced would require making my own cable to 'float' Pin-3, the above mentioned Neutrik connector is grounded at Pin-3.
        ~
    Question 3: Would using OUT 3/4 be best advised (TRS>dual RCA phono) as per the manual if I read it correctly?

That'll do for now, I'm sure I will have other questions as I think more about it.  Either way I look at this, I am just not happy with what the competitors are offering.  M-Audio (or is it InMusic now) offer a shadow of what they once did, and whilst technology is always improving and some impressive equipment can be had for little money, they are just buggy as heck.  I guess it's the mobile/external interface boom with no real effort into concentrating on a decent and reliable connection that is plaguing pretty much everyone other than RME.

>  Question 1A: Using USB bus power only, Would it be possible to wire up a USB cable with an in-line switch on the +5v and or -5v lines?

Do not break the ground, but +5 V only. And yes, that would work.

>   Question 1B: With an external PSU attached, would it be possible to cut the +/-5v lines on a USB cable, using it for Data only?  Power on/off would be through the PSU (AC mains switch).

With an external PSU attached, the current flowing over USB is zero. So other than breaking the gound connection there is no need to do so. This scheme (only connectiing data lines) can also harm the sensitive USB chips, so it is not recommended.

>    #2: Digitising Vinyl recordings

Requires an external RIAA preamplifier, as the mic inputs (or Line inputs) do not have the correct resistive impedance and capacitive load needed for a MC or MM system to sound best.

>  Question 3: Would using OUT 3/4 be best advised (TRS>dual RCA phono) as per the manual if I read it correctly?

You have both choices. Get a fitting XLR  cable or use analog 3/4. An advantage of 3/4 could be that the output level at the small TRS output (+7 dBu) might fit RCA equipment better than the XLR output (+13 dBu, BF Pro XLR unbalanced).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I do have a few questions:

1. Is Babyface Pro driver compatible with Windows WASAPI?  Will it run in exclusive mode?
2. If yes for the above, will it run 24bit/192KHz in full duplex mode under WASAPI?

1. Yes and Yes.
2. Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello just purchased a BabyFace Pro and couldn't be more happier.  Just sold my Duet 2 so there is a bit of a learning curve here with this Total Mix system.  Just a quick issue I can't figure out for the life of me on the BabyFace Pro.  So I figured out how to assign hot keys.........function keys like Mute, Mono, Speaker B etc. to buttons on BabyFace Pro interface...........buttone A,B, DIM etc.  Now I noticed that all of these functions work perfect no problem at all but TotalMix App has to be open all the time.  Is there a way for all the function keys to work without TotalMix app being Launched ?  So kind of like a default in BabyFace ?  It was possible with Duet 2 this is why I ask.

Thanks Kindly

TM FX must run in the systray, but does not need to have open or visible windows.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

332 (edited by doteater 2017-02-02 01:18:24)

My question is about wanting to use two Warm Audio WA12 Preamps in lines 3+4 so I can record four channels simultaneously.
I know it's recommended to go into input 1+2 as it's a balanced out from the preamp but then I won't get my 4 ins.

So am I losing quality from the external pre using input 3+4?
Also it might just be cos it comes in hotter but I sort of liked the sound I got when I set inputs 3+4 to "-10db" rather than "+4db".
Again, am I losing something by doing that? I understand +4 seems to mean I can drive the preamp in hotter, so more dynamic range? Is that it? It just sounded better to me at -10, but I don't know.

Hi, just bought BFP and now make a choose for headphones. Please confirm that 250Ohm & 91dB will sound a loud on 1/4" jack

xnd wrote:

Hi, just bought BFP and now make a choose for headphones. Please confirm that 250Ohm & 91dB will sound a loud on 1/4" jack

Loud is relative  ..

please tell more about
- your "use case" / environment / requirements
- whether you intend to get open, half-open or closed phones

Best would be to put concrete examples, which phones are on your list,
maybe some people with similar or same phone can comment on this in regards to your requirements.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
xnd wrote:

Loud is relative  ..

please tell more about
- your "use case" / environment / requirements
- whether you intend to get open, half-open or closed phones

Best would be to put concrete examples, which phones are on your list,
maybe some people with similar or same phone can comment on this in regards to your requirements.

Open style beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 Ohm 96dB for example, because 32Ohm version is very hard to buy on local second hand market.

Loudness is very subjective variable agreed, but I have In-Ear Sony XBA-Z5 connected to 1/8" jack is enought at 60-70% level

I have that phone - works without a problem at the big TRS...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I have that phone - works without a problem at the big TRS...

Which one? Z5 or dt990?

Very funny. DT-990 Pro.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Having trouble getting BF P to work with iPad Air 2 and electric guitar, straight in on channel 3 or 4. I have it coming up in CC mode, and can hear it in headphones if I launch TotalMix FX. I can continue to hear it after minimizing or even closing out TotalMix. But none of the apps I have tried it with seem to get any level from the guitar: Samplr, Flux-FX are two. Settings shows the BF P selected, I am using the provided (and have tried other) USB cables into an Apple Camera to Lightning connector. Further, I do not hear any other audio coming through the headphones, such as from YouTube videos playing in Safari. I am using an external power supply, 9 volt, center positive, 400mA.
I hope someone can help!
Thanks!

Very obviously all the tools you tried have only stereo in. If you can't select input 3/4 (instead of 1/2) - how could they work? The workaround for those is to route 3/4 to output 1/2 and activate Loopback, and send playback signal 1/2 out to only 3/4 (feedback otherwise).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for quick replies. Is this routing done using TotalMix? Will it also resolve the issue of playing music files or YouTube videos, to have that sound come through the BFP?

1. Yes, TotalMix FX for iPad.

2. There is no such issue unless the BF Pro doesn't work at all with the iPad. Manual chapter 31.1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

343 (edited by doteater 2017-02-14 17:04:21)

Hello, I was wondering about an external preamp connected to babyface inputs 3+4.

Even level matched, it sounds noticeably better thru input 1+2 (set at 0 gain) than through 3+4 (at +4db) setting.

I am using a very short balanced jack cable from the pre balanced out into input 3. Is this the best way to do it?

Still not getting sound into any of the apps that I want to use with the BFP. Here are the settings that I have made: Instr. 3/4 to AN 1, AN 1/2 to PH 3/4, then if I hit loop back I get feed back.

345 (edited by izzy.miozzo 2017-03-01 10:02:38)

Hello everyone, just bought my babyface, I'm new to audio recording and I have a doubt:

I have a digital piano with unbalanced outputs (1/4 jacks "mono" unbalanced). I know that de TRS instrument inputs of the Babyface are unbalanced, but are they "stereo" or "mono". Say, I would need something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seismic-Audio-I … Swu4BV5jy1

Being the mono males out the digital piano and the stereo male to the babyface?

Or just two regular TS-TS mono cables?

izzy.miozzo wrote:

Hello everyone, just bought my babyface, I'm new to audio recording and I have a doubt:

I have a digital piano with unbalanced outputs (1/4 jacks "mono" unbalanced). I know that de TRS instrument inputs of the Babyface are unbalanced, but are they "stereo" or "mono". Say, I would need something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seismic-Audio-I … Swu4BV5jy1

Being the mono males out the digital piano and the stereo male to the babyface?

Or just two regular TS-TS mono cables?

In 3 and In 4 are mono inputs.

pianopictures wrote:

In 3 and In 4 are mono inputs.

Thank you!!

So, another doubt: in recording the audio, I'll be actually recording 2 tracks in mono, right?

The DAW will recognize this as a stereo recording or I'll need to merge the two tracks to make a stereo one out of the two mono?

348 (edited by pianopictures 2017-03-01 12:27:40)

Ii is all customize-able to fit your needs. You can set it to be double mono or stereo both in Total Mix and/or your DAW. Keep in mind that if set to double mono then you need to pan both channels hard left/right.

pianopictures wrote:

Ii is all customize-able to fit your needs. You can set it to be double mono or stereo both in Total Mix and/or your DAW. Keep in mind that if set to double mono then you need to pan both channels hard left/right.

Understood, thanks again!

Just one last question (sorry, I'm drifting a little here): I want to connect my keyboard (kawai mp7) to my studio monitors. My keyboard have unbalanced outs (TS) and the monitors have balanced ins (XLR and TRS).

I have two TRS to XLR cables. Can I use these to connect them? Like, TRS on the TS jack (out) of the piano and XLR (in) to the monitors? I'm assuming I will have some sound loss in the process, but other than that is it okay?

Recently I have noticed that when a microphone is connected to the Babyface Pro, it seems to be on all the time.
The unit is defnitely in 'PC' mode.
When no record channels are set in Bitwig the mic is still being fed to the speakers.
I thought shutting down Totalmix had sorted this problem but still somehow the mic is being picked up.
It appears on OSX system menu but is not enabled there in either input or output.

Is there a simple explanation for why this might be happening?