1 (edited by SykadeliaSound 2015-07-12 15:41:32)

Topic: Babyface - Input signals Not heard.

Dear RME,

I have never faced this problem in the past 5 years of using my Babyface.

My OS, Routings & Software versions:

Computer:    iMac (Mid 2010)
Babyface:     Firmware v223; Driver v2.10
TotalMix FX:  Version 1.12 MAC OSX(1)
Logic Pro X:   Version 10.1.1

Routing:

INPUT: UAD 4-710d -> ADAT out -> ADAT in of Babyface. [Channel 3 & 4 on TotalMix (AS 1/2) represent my 1st and 2nd Input channels on the 4-710d and respectively 5 & 6 on ADAT 3/4 for the 3rd and 4th Preamp channels)

OUTPUT:
(a) Babyface's 2 XLR Analog Outs to a Pair of Focal Twin 6 Be Monitor.
(b) Babyface's Headphone out -> via a cable - 1/4" Stereo Jack (on Babyface) to 2 x 1/4" Mono Jacks -> goes into 2 mono Input jacks on C-Que8 Samson Headphone Amp.

The Issue:

2 mics are connected to the UAD channels 3 and 5. Signal is detected on UAD perfectly; on TotalMix FX, I see the Mic signals being detected on the AS 1/2 and ADAT 3/4  Hardware Input channels as usual.

BUT, there is no signal coming into the Software Playback and Hardware Output channels. I have routed the outputs of the inputs to PH 3/4 for tracking on headphones. Main Out in the Control Room of Totalmix FX was also set to PH 3/4. I alternately tried setting Output to AN 1/2 as well.

Both did not give any results. Mic signals was not heard on both.

Now, If I play the tracks in the session, THEY on the other hand are heard. I can hear the tracks in the session/iTunes/Youtube etc.
Basically, I can hear everything on Headphones and Speakers EXCEPT what I am recording.

But, the Mic signals are coming perfectly in from the UAD to the Babyface hence there is no problem from UAD or Cables or Input routing. There seems to be a problem in the routing from Hardware Inputs to the Software Playback and Hardware Outputs on TotalMix FX.

To clarify in case it is confusing, the Gain on AS 1/2 and ADAT 3/4 Hardware Inputs is at -infinity because I donot want to enable the Babyface Preamps. The sound signal that gets recorded is completely from UAD where I set the gain and level for the signal to be recorded. This has worked for the past 5 years. Hence, I am baffled at this sudden development.

I have done a Total Reset of TotalMix FX, Restarted my machine, Run disk repair, disk permissions etc. Checked the settings of Babyface on my DAW, it all looks just like before when everything was working perfectly normal.
Please advice and help, folks.

PLease HELP else I will lose a lot of business. PLEASE! hmm

Here are 2 screenshots:

No Software playback and Hardware output signals. Input signals are 2 Mics ON via Channel 3 and 5 on UAD preamp. Respectively seen on AS 1/2 and ADAT 3/4 on TotalMix FX. No output signal detected on Software playback and Hardware Output. Also, seen are both Mic signals arriving into Logic X.

http://i.imgur.com/V1SW3v6.jpg?1

Here the tracks on session is being played which are detected on TotalMix and heard. But NO Input Mic signal is heard or detected on Software playback and Hardware output. Also, seen are both Mic signals arriving into Logic X.

http://i.imgur.com/ETvFU7a.jpg?1

Re: Babyface - Input signals Not heard.

I´ve seen on your pictures the following issues

Faders on HW inputs (AS 1/2, ADAT 3/4 are closed - raise them up for monitoring and i think you hear your HW inputs

HW out 1/2 is closed too - raise them up and mute if needed

Software playback - for that you need Software like Logic or whatever not HW inputs

hope this helps

Hi Jamesie,

You would be right if I was using my Babyface as my A/D point. My UAD Preamp gives the Mic signals to my DAW. Babyface acts only as my Signal route. If I increase the HW inputs, it'd enable the Babyface preamps and get me a combination sound which is not desirable.

H/W Out is my monitors. But, even my phones don't get any input signals from the mic, hence the problem still exists.

So, once again your solution is not applicable to me. Because like I mentioned this just happened randomly yesterday onwards. The same settings were used for 5 years prior with no problems.

Could it be that you didn't have the problem with an older version of TotalMix?

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Nope. Same version of Totalmix FX worked. I just reinstalled Totalmix FX and reflashed the Babyface. Will check and report back.

oh, i see

if you use the mic input with setting gain to 0 it works like a line input so no mic preamp - on the other hand the mic preamps from RME are very "neutral" - you don´t hear them or let´s say they don´t color your sound

Any help RME Support? This problem has not been solved and I am unable to record anymore!

There are several fundamental misconceptions here which seem to cause confusion.

There is and was no way to directly route signals from hardware inputs to software playback in Totalmix. Only software monitoring or playback can send signal to software playback channels, hence the name.

There is also no "Gain on AS 1/2 and ADAT 3/4 Hardware", these are monitoring faders. No sound if you pull them down, obviously. And there is also no connection between any of these faders and the mic preamps. No digital input signal can possibly go through the preamps. The only level control for the BF's preamps is the gain control in channels 1/2. Moving faders can and will not "enable" preamps, not on the analog inuts and much less on the digital ones.

I would suggest to through the TM tutorials again,
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=17789

Issues with lack of signal in the software playback signal can only be solved in your software, though.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

This is late but thank you Daniel and jamesie for your messages, I have a much better understanding of the Babyface now.

10 (edited by ramses 2018-11-03 15:16:23)

Maybe my primer can be of additional help: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

There is also a VISIO which might help you in understanding the signal flow:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1988-TotalMix-Diagram-Overview-Signal-Flow-jpg/

Here a block diagram of the UFX recording interface with a few comments from me in it, maybe this helps you also to understand the block diagram better.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1987-RME-UFX-TotalMix-FX-Block-Diagram-with-comments-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13