Topic: Start TotalMix FX Maximized

Hi, Is there a way -- possibly through a preference / setting -- to get TotalMix FX to start maximized (rather than docking in the Windows System Tray)?  It would be nice not to have to click on its Start Menu icon and then also have to click on its System Tray icon to maximize it.  Cheers...

2 (edited by ramses 2015-07-19 08:29:02)

Re: Start TotalMix FX Maximized

Did you already try to put it into your accounts autostart folder ?

Not sure whether this works, as the executable is already loaded ...

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi ramses,

My problem is not getting TotalMix to start automatically when Windows starts (I removed its shortcut to prevent that from happening).  The problem I'm trying to solve is to get TotalMix to start maximized when I click its icon. Currently it first loads to the System Tray and then I have to find its icon and click that one.

Perhaps there is a command line switch that I can append to the executable filename (e.g., --start_max)?

If there's no way to do this, can I have TotalMix load to the Taskbar rather than the System Tray (Taskbar icons are larger and easier to find when you're far from the computer).

Cheers...

4 (edited by ramses 2015-07-20 07:37:13)

I understood your problem, I hoped from putting Totalmix executable into the autostart folder, that the (already loaded) program gets perhaps a trigger to open. But ok, if you do not want to try out ... was just an idea.

What about cleaning-up your taskbar icons then ? You can hide the stuff that you really do not require and configure it to show up only on messages. I think this is the 1st step you should do.

Next what I do is, that I sort them manually, you can do this by clicking onto an icon, press and hold left mousekey and then move it to where you want.

The 3 leftmost icons are for me: Totalmix, UFX USB Driver Panel, UFX Firewire Driver Panel

This way you have those icons wonderful visible and always at the same location, I never have to "search" for those.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Write a simple batch file which starts TotalMix 2 times in a row. Put this on your desktop and click it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ramses wrote:

I understood your problem, I hoped from putting Totalmix executable into the autostart folder, that the (already loaded) program gets perhaps a trigger to open. But ok, if you do not want to try out ... was just an idea.

What about cleaning-up your taskbar icons then ? You can hide the stuff that you really do not require and configure it to show up only on messages. I think this is the 1st step you should do.

Next what I do is, that I sort them manually, you can do this by clicking onto an icon, press and hold left mousekey and then move it to where you want.

The 3 leftmost icons are for me: Totalmix, UFX USB Driver Panel, UFX Firewire Driver Panel

This way you have those icons wonderful visible and always at the same location, I never have to "search" for those.

Hi ramses,  Thanks for all the good suggestions.  However, I wanted a more direct solution like what MC suggested...

MC wrote:

Write a simple batch file which starts TotalMix 2 times in a row. Put this on your desktop and click it.

Unfortunately, I could not get that to work.  My batch file would only execute the first instance of TotalMixFX.exe.  I tried the following without success:

1. Two lines of the following command: "C:\Windows\System32\TotalMixFX.exe"
2. The same as above except with "TIMEOUT /T 3" between the two lines to force a temporary delay
3. Using "CALL" to run two separate batch files (each of which executes: "C:\Windows\System32\TotalMixFX.exe")
4. a FOR-loop:  "for /l %%x in (1, 1, 2) do C:\Windows\System32\TotalMixFX.exe %%x"

I've run out of ideas.  Would you please give me a hint?

7 (edited by ramses 2015-07-22 07:17:45)

I just created one file TM.bat on my Windows 7 desktop ... containing the single line:
C:\Windows\System32\TotalMixFX.exe
If I double click to it then TM opens.

BTW you said you removed totalmix autostart, this means TM is not loaded at system start ?
Why ?

ramses wrote:

I just created one file TM.bat on my Windows 7 desktop ... containing the single line:
C:\Windows\System32\TotalMixFX.exe
If I double click to it then TM opens.

Hi ramses, When you double-clicked your batch file, was TotalMix already running (in the System Tray)?  If so, I get the same behavior here.  What I'm trying to do is to get TotalMix to start maximized with one click without it already loaded into memory at all.  And that's why MC suggested putting two instances of TotalMix in the batch file: the first instance loads it to the System Tray, the second one maximizes it.  I think your batch file did just the latter. 

ramses wrote:

BTW you said you removed totalmix autostart, this means TM is not loaded at system start ?
Why ?

Correct. TM does not load at system start.  The reason is that I use my computer for things other than music making, so I only load TM when I need it.  This general strategy has resulted in *very* stable and responsive system performance.  I've been running this way for many years, so I don't plan to change anytime soon.  Cheers...

Programs under Windows are started via START.

start totalmixfx.exe
Timeout 7
start totalmixfx.exe

Just 3 lines. Note that if the time is too short then TM FX will show up two times in the notification area.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ergoguy wrote:

Correct. TM does not load at system start.  The reason is that I use my computer for things other than music making, so I only load TM when I need it.  This general strategy has resulted in *very* stable and responsive system performance.  I've been running this way for many years, so I don't plan to change anytime soon.  Cheers...

Ok I understand, but see tbh no real benefit in it. I also use my PC for different things like Office, Internet, Gaming, Video editing, Recording. TM never was causing any issues. So I wonder where your motivation comes from to disable TM per default.

The only thing which this special setup does IMHO, is to keep you busy, not more.

Or could you explain a little bit more in detail, what special merit this shall have ?

MC wrote:

Programs under Windows are started via START.

start totalmixfx.exe
Timeout 7
start totalmixfx.exe

Just 3 lines. Note that if the time is too short then TM FX will show up two times in the notification area.

That worked like a charm -- thanks!

I must say, I'm quite pleased with RME's support.  There are many choices out there, but the combination of great sounding hardware and responsive support is hard to beat.  I'm glad I chose RME.

ramses wrote:
ergoguy wrote:

Ok I understand, but see tbh no real benefit in it. I also use my PC for different things like Office, Internet, Gaming, Video editing, Recording. TM never was causing any issues. So I wonder where your motivation comes from to disable TM per default.

The only thing which this special setup does IMHO, is to keep you busy, not more.

Or could you explain a little bit more in detail, what special merit this shall have ?

ramses, I'm a scientist.  A large part of my job is to create experimental designs that allow me to study one particular facet of a system in the absence of potential confounds.  Let's pretend it's 500 years ago and we want to understand the effect of gravity on how objects with different weights fall.  So, we drop a feather and a hammer from the same height to see which hits the ground first.  We observe it's the hammer, so we conclude that heavier objects fall faster.  Wrong!  Obviously we neglected to control for the confound of air resistance.  What we witnessed was an *interaction* between gravity and viscous drag, but we didn't know enough to control for it.

Being mindful of this, and the fact that computers are very complex systems, I reduce potential interactions (between hardware and software) by running only what I need in each session.  The chance of an interaction occurring is exactly zero if the software is not running.  But once it's active in memory, this chance may increase.  And even if it's very small, the probability of a problem occurring is infinitely greater (mathematically speaking).  What's more, the interactions may not be limited to just two things, but can be higher-order, and so combinatorics may come into play.  Although I don't anticipate any problems with TotalMix -- it's obviously a beautiful piece of software -- everything I described above still applies to it.

If this seems needlessly conservative, I'd point out all the people in all the forums with all sorts of problems that often result from the types of interactions I've described.  And although it may seem like I'm wasting time clicking on an extra icon to start TM, I can easily offset these few seconds by the hours and days I've saved in not having to fix problems (not to mention the 'cost' of frustration). And running a lean system has another important advantage: it conserves resources for the software that you're actually using.

Bottom line, I've been using this approach for years and it's worked great, so I have no reason to change.

I am fully with you in terms of tuning a PC for less latency for i.e. recording. Thats what most of us guys do.
The only thing which really surprised me was, that i.e. TM itself is on your agenda.
Usually its vice versa, we try to get rid of stuff that disturbs audio streaming but we do not disable "audio", or in this case components which control audio.