Topic: Mac FireWire MIDI problem - possible fix

Hello,

for quite some time we received notes that MIDI I/O does not work for some users when using FireWire. We were not able to reproduce this effect as it always worked for us.

Not so long ago a user noticed that using FireWire with an external hard drive gave a reproducable way to cause a similar MIDI problem - under FireWire. This time we were able to reproduce and consequently fix the issue - it affected UFX, UCX and 802.

We don't know if this fix adresses both effects, but it could. So if you use FireWire and your MIDI is not working please try our new firmware and driver. The fix needs both, a firmware update to 344 (UFX), 27 (UCX) und 6 (FF 802), and the new driver 3.28.

Download links:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/ma … rmware.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/ma … er_328.zip

Thanks for testing!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Mac FireWire MIDI problem - possible fix

This worked!!

Unfortunately driver/firmware are for Macs only sad . I have same issues on both MIDI I/O s on UFX on WIN 7 64 bit Ultimate.

4 (edited by nbyrne 2015-09-11 12:59:14)

Hi,

I've tried this.  The Firewire driver update was fine, but for some reason the flash update tool is not working for me. 

I've disconnected the firewire cables for the flash update and connected a USB cable from my Fireface 802 (Driver 3.28) to my Macbook Pro (OS 10.10.5).  I've tried two different cables.  When I press 'update' nothing happens. I've attached a screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08c76tbh0ejw6 … 6.png?dl=0

Am I missing something? Please help...

Did you also install the USB driver?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for getting back.  Just realised my mistake after posting. All good now.

Cheers,

Niall

I did have the same issue with a firewire Fireface 400 on MacBook Pro OS X 10.10.5 with driver 3.28 (i'm using a thunderbolt to firewire adapter ) . I wasn't able to see Midi in and out in any Daw
The patchs solved the issue.

You should consider updating the driver and include this fix .

Also these updates won't work for me. No MIDI Signals from the UCX even when the INPUTlights are flashing correctly on the hardware …
My Setup: MacBookPro(Mid2012)>FW800port>ExternalHD(Seagate)>FW800port>RMEucx
So i am using a daisy chained FW800 connection.

and when trying to run these updates posted here i get this error: "90000000/0"
http://s9.postimg.org/purai3x4b/Bildschirmfoto_2016_01_05_um_13_21_41.jpg

very annoying BTW !

MacBook Pro Mid 2012 i7 @ 2,3 GHz 16 GB @ SSD's | RME FireFace UCX
Vienna, AUSTRIA

Outdated driver? The flash tool can not read the hardware correctly. You could try to flash it on a different computer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is it outdated?

http://s24.postimg.org/do4czatnl/Bildschirmfoto_2016_01_06_um_02_48_46.jpg

Vienna, AUSTRIA

No. So please try the flash on a different computer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well, i managed it to flash it from another mac …

http://s18.postimg.org/8drs0qthx/Bildschirmfoto_2016_01_07_um_11_20_37.jpg

… but then all i got when i connected the UCX to my music workstation again "all lights light up" on connecting. So all digits and leds were lit up continuously … what does it mean, what was that indicating?

And now finally I do not get any signal via FireWire anymore at all. USB still works, but Firewire is completely silent. But I was just trying to get my MIDI working over FireWire since my Setup is based upon having the Interface attached to my MacBool Pro (2012) with Firewire –– and now it seems as my UCX is broken!

This gets me into a very unlucky situation. Honestly, and what should I do now?

Vienna, AUSTRIA

Well, I think I found out why: it seems as i have fried up the FireWire socket by attaching the 6-pin connector upside down. Unfortunately I just plugged it in from the front without looking closely and it fitted easily, so I wasn't aware, this might could happen. Any chance to repair this myself? Will someone else be able to repair it? I guess this happened already before, is there a chance to rely on your help with this issue?

Vienna, AUSTRIA

hello?

Vienna, AUSTRIA

Vermutlich FireWire-Chip geröstet - Händler oder Vertrieb für Reparatur kontaktieren.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok, werde es mal versuchen, thx

Vienna, AUSTRIA

Hi Matthias Carstens (let's write in english so the others will understand it too),
after a while I finally motivated myself now to solve that faulty Firewire issue I described above … and I got deeply disappointed. Here's why:

My RME Fireface UCX Odyssee:
As I described before in this thread the Firewire port plug was accepting the cable to be inserted the wrong way around (easily) and grilled the platine of the device. So I brought the device to the official Austrian RME repair partner (--> "Klangfarbe") and they sent the device to you by an estimate fee for the reviewing, even though it was not clear at that moment what it will cost or if it will be repairable anyways. And after 4 weeks of delay (even though it was claimed I will be informed in 1 week) you asked me for USD 600,- of repair costs!! That's a ridiculous amount of money. When I denied that repair costs I was still asked for money from your Austrian RME repair partner (--> "Klangfarbe") in terms of processing fees, even though I already had payed such fees before, when I sent it in. And just now (I just returned from that shop) I discovered, that the device was returned with broken 'handles' (see photo) sad
It's all so frustrating I don't have even words for this anymore. I do run a music industry business myself – I am an indie-software developer – and I had a delay of 4 weeks instead of one week because you 'had a lot of other things to do in your repair center' (that was an RME employee answered), so an extreme long waiting time for you getting back to me on this and where I were not able to work with my interface … and then you want a price from me that is just out of this world. It's insane, as said I feel disappointed from the quality, your service and your support.
– 4 weeks of delay (although 1 week was claimed)
– US 600 dollars repair costs ^^
– you broke the devices 'handles'
– hidden costs from your repair partner for reviewing the repair only
This is insane, I paid so much for your device and you can't even offer me to fix it for a normal on-earth-return. I didn't asked you for a new interface, nor was my device broken (it still all works over USB, but only Firewire is dead right now), neither I asked you for anything free etc. … all I wanted you to do is helping me get back my device running on Firewire connection again normally …

PS: I also btw destroyed a Synthesizer a year ago because of weak silk screening on the back of the device which wore off (see photo) so that the MIDI- and Remote-port labeling weren't readable anymore and they got accidentally plugged in in reversal order – I had to send my snyth in to Doepfer for a platine repair. That hundreds of euros for the repair costs were simply caused by your weak labeling quality.

http://s13.postimg.org/v97fuve4z/IMG_1199.jpg http://s13.postimg.org/o79i8oaj7/IMG_1204.jpg

foto upload

Vienna, AUSTRIA

Dorian C wrote:

My RME Fireface UCX Odyssee:
As I described before in this thread the Firewire port plug was accepting the cable to be inserted the wrong way around (easily) and grilled the platine of the device.

There really is no easy way to do this under normal circumstances. Connecting a FW400 plug the wrong way takes more force than I would ever use on a computer connection. The only explanation I would have for this is a bent FW port.

So I brought the device to the official Austrian RME repair partner (--> "Klangfarbe") and they sent the device to you by an estimate fee for the reviewing, even though it was not clear at that moment what it will cost or if it will be repairable anyways. And after 4 weeks of delay (even though it was claimed I will be informed in 1 week) you asked me for USD 600,- of repair costs!!

That would indicate that the entire mainboard is damaged and needs to be replaced. A certain amount of this will also be labour and shipping.

That's a ridiculous amount of money. When I denied that repair costs I was still asked for money from your Austrian RME repair partner (--> "Klangfarbe") in terms of processing fees, even though I already had payed such fees before, when I sent it in.

Please specify, by email to me if you prefer. There is a fee for the quote if you decide not to have a repair carried out, but not twice.

And just now (I just returned from that shop) I discovered, that the device was returned with broken 'handles' (see photo) sad

Did you contact Klangfarbe about this? This is really not something we can contact from here, and it may be difficult to determine where this happened. I'm sure these can be replaced, though.

It's all so frustrating I don't have even words for this anymore. I do run a music industry business myself – I am an indie-software developer – and I had a delay of 4 weeks instead of one week because you 'had a lot of other things to do in your repair center' (that was an RME employee answered), so an extreme long waiting time for you getting back to me on this and where I were not able to work with my interface … and then you want a price from me that is just out of this world. It's insane, as said I feel disappointed from the quality, your service and your support.

It would take the serial number to determine when this unit was shipped from Austria to Germany, and where the delay might have occured.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

19 (edited by Dorian C 2016-10-04 07:22:09)

RME Support wrote:

There really is no easy way to do this under normal circumstances. Connecting a FW400 plug the wrong way takes more force than I would ever use on a computer connection. The only explanation I would have for this is a bent FW port.

This was actually very easy and it seems to me it has to do with the build quality of your interface in particular. Here's a close up of that Firewire 400 port component you've used for your production …

https://s18.postimg.org/h8m6xym21/2016_09_27_um_21_49_17.png

… here you can see that this specific metal housing is very light and even has an interruption which allows bending that port like gum. When you look at other devices from other manufacturers then you often find a non-interrupted port housing with a specific surrounding that matches the exact form.
But when going to plug and unplug a FW400 cable on your device a few times under real-usage circumstances it may can simply happen to put in the plug the wrong way around. For example: From the angle this photo is taken …

https://s15.postimg.org/doy4zjlff/IMG_1205.jpg

… there is no visual indication which way around your specific Firewire port model's housing is meant to be used. This is potential misleading by default. There is no visualization and the cut-out is even rectangular and does not match the Firewire port shape itself which causes potential accidents even more.
But in case of your production I assume this was one of the cheapest asian-manufacturers component model available (and cutting that countersink in a rectangular shape might seemed cheaper as well) so you got with this manufacturer's solution. The same btw for the remote port/MIDI port, as you definitely will know yourself, it's completely wiggly and unbelievable unsolid – when having plugged in my remote or the MIDI breakout cable it almost falls of by its own. How can this even pass any preproduction quality control? Also the ADAT port's flap just broke after plugging in the cable for the first time or so (see image). And also, what's wrong with that screen printing which just wears of after 3 years, how can I have paid so much money for such weak quality? This is just a nightmare and a pure disappointment for me. I paid over USD 1400 plus another USD 200 for your advanced remote (which btw sadly can not be used as a MIDI jog wheel!? how could you've forgotten about implementing/upgrading that?) and initially I was very happy with my purchase, but you asking for another USD 600 to simply repair this wreck of a gear is insane!

RME Support wrote:

That would indicate that the entire mainboard is damaged and needs to be replaced. A certain amount of this will also be labour and shipping.

But even though you assumingly would have to replace all hardware plugs this still shouldn't cost that much, in terms of a fair price policy and in your interests to keep your fanbase. I almost can buy another used, good conditional device on the internet for that USD 600 you were asking for here on the other hand …
I am also getting tired of writing here so much, in case you can help me any further with this, then please just tell me how. I already tried reaching your telephone support but you were out of office.

Vienna, AUSTRIA

20 (edited by Dorian C 2016-10-22 17:54:57)

It's been a month now, no one from RME has responded!

Rear print labels wore off themselves quickly and this can cause (has caused) now potential damage to my gear. Your RME Firewire400 socket version allows potential misuse and can cause (has caused) damage to the platine. ADAT socket Flaps broke off shortly and repair costs are US $600+ … all this has cost me lots of worries, time and money! And what is your answer?
–No answer.

Vienna, AUSTRIA

21 (edited by alexyk 2017-05-23 07:06:53)

Hi,

Is there any way to still try this fix for Mac Firewire Midi issue?
I tried the links in the first post, and they did not work.

Best,
Alex

UPDATE: I guess the fix is in the latest drivers and I had messed with it. I had to move "TotalMix FX.app" and "Fireface Settings.app" back to "/Applications" root folder instead of using a custom "/Applications/RME" folder. All good.