Topic: Nuendo Audiolink 96

Hi there,

I'm considering to buy used one quite cheap. It seems to be same than Multiface. There are only pcmcia adapter with it so I need to get me a PCI card and perhaps power supply.
Is this system compatible with newer operating systems?
Which PCI card will work with it, or something else solution?
Can you estimate the right value for this? Audiolink, mobile card and cable between them...
Thanks!

Re: Nuendo Audiolink 96

I got the answer from the support. It should work ok with the RME HDSP PCI or PCIe interface cards.

Additional info and comments are welcome.

3 (edited by Randyman... 2015-10-07 20:23:33)

Indeed - its the same as Multiface-I.  Nothing wrong with them, but age is starting to creep up there.  Will gladly run under all OS's from Win2000 through W10.

I own two MF-I's and a Nuendo AudioLink (among tons of other RME gear!) and none of the breakout boxes themselves have experienced issues, but I've had two older HDSP PCI cards fail (+/- 10 years old).  I still have a PCI HDSP that works though - so it's not like an older PCI card is sure to fail or anything like that.  I'd personally steer clear of any older PCI cards (say v1.5 or so) - I believe hardware v1.8 was the most recent PCI revision.

I'd hold-out for a PCIe HDSPe card as the PCI cards are likely older and of questionable reliability by now.  Not to mention current motherboard PCI compatibility is quickly vanishing! (and PCI support is 100% non-existant for Mac OSX on Intel - Even with Hackintosh!).

Estimated value for an aging AudioLink & PCMCIA card would be around $275-$375 USD on eBay (have seen some sell for as little as $250 or so).  If it's an HDSP ExpressCard (and not a legacy HDSP PCMCIA card), then maybe add another $100 - and you can likely re-sell that card for $200 or so.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks for the good information Randy.

Actually I have an oldish hackintosh(i7) which have PCI and PCIe slots on the motherboard. Are you saying that PCI version of the HDSP wouldn't work on this? Graphics card and extra firewire card are using these slots at the moment.

In this case it is legacy PCMCIA card, I think. Power adapter is missing and the one Thomann is selling is ridiculously priced. Fortunately I got some suitable HP power supplies already.

I'm intended to use this Audiolink with an old XP laptop when recording mobile. Software will be some vintage Nuendo, I have versions from 2 to 6. SSD disk might improve system performance a bit.

The price is for this set is little less than 100 euros:)

My pleasure!

I'm an OSX dunce (die-hard DIY PC'er over here!), but I distinctly recall the RME Drivers for OSX/x86 (Intel) don't support PCI as there were never PCI slots on Intel Macs.  I might be mistaken, but unfortunately I don't think I am...

I almost didn't mention that fact above, but I had a hunch you might be a Hackintosk DIY kind-o-guy smile

I'd investigate further before you take my word as gospel.  I've certainly been wrong before, and will surely be wrong again! tongue

Best luck! cool
Randy V.

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randy is correct....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

7 (edited by antti.ilola 2023-10-08 17:42:53)

Hi again, I tried quick installation with this.
I got me a used pcie card, installed it and downloaded fresh drivers but can't get this to work.
Is it possible to get this to work with Windows 10?
Should I install older drivers?

Is this Nuendo Audiolink 96 Multiset compatible with current Windows 10 and RME drivers?
I got me a used PCIe card for my HP desktop, only result is red host error led.
Is there a way to test if this card is working?
With my laptop and pcmcia card this unit has been working fine.
I would appreciate help to find out if some part is broken or too old.
Maybe older driver, which?
Is Multiface II better option?

The Nuendo card is identical to RME. You might need to update the firmware. Otherwise the non-connection might have been the reason it got sold...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by antti.ilola 2023-10-13 14:44:19)

Thanks for the advice.
Do you mean the firmware for the PCIe card or Nuendo Audiolink, or both?
My card in desktop computer is HDSPe PCI Rev1.1
Should I use the current fut_wdm_dspe with it, or older fut_wdm_dsp file?
In laptop computer Nuendo Audiolink 96 Mobile cardbus interface seems to work fine.

MC wrote:

The Nuendo card is identical to RME. You might need to update the firmware. Otherwise the non-connection might have been the reason it got sold...

The FUT always updates the card, not the external unit. A HDSPe card is PCI Express, so the old PCI FUT won't work anyway.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Driver installation went ok, but flash update seems to do nothing.

Jumper in the PCIe card is in bus position, not aux.
This must be power setting, don't have suitable cable for the aux power connector yet.

What to do next, is this PCIe card fried?

Luckily I haven't paid anything for it yet, seller wasn't sure about its condition.

Should I try older driver and fut with different(older) computer?

Which driver did you install? Is this still under Windows 10 with a normal PC?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by antti.ilola 2023-10-15 16:16:21)

Hdsp win 4.46
Windows 10
Old HP Z840

Red host error light is on.

Ok, so is the HDSPe PCI card shown in the Device Manager? Either directly or as 'unknown device'?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think not, but I'm not very experienced windows user.
Where it should be under the Device Manager?

antti.ilola wrote:

Audio ?!

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I checked that, no.

ramses wrote:
antti.ilola wrote:

Audio ?!

That would mean the card is not functioning (detected) at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm afraid that is the case here. However it passes something to the Audiolink, because the error led shines...
Anyway, I love your support. Great service.

MC wrote:

That would mean the card is not functioning (detected) at all.

Can you test the card in another computer? Does it get detected as new hardware at all? Can you upload pictures of both units?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'll try this next. I have one old MacPro and a couple of other Windows veterans to test.
Do you want pictures of PCIe card and the Nuendo Audiolink or computers or screenshot?

RME Support wrote:

Can you test the card in another computer? Does it get detected as new hardware at all? Can you upload pictures of both units?

RME Support wrote:

Card is not detected in any computer. Although it passes some current to the error led.
Link to the pictures:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlBFb1ms418LhsstwSC … Q?e=MYw60H

24 (edited by vinark 2023-10-25 14:55:33)

Did you try cleaning the PCIe contacts with a pencil eraser? Saved my hdsp9632 already 2 times from same symptoms and the garbage can lol.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

From the image it's obvious why the card can't work due to very much patina on the contacts.
https://i.ibb.co/J3rgscq/Bildschirmfoto-2023-10-25-um-15-55-35.png

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Cleaning didn't help. That dirt was mostly some shadow or optical shit anyway. Card is not appearing in device manager in Mac OSX or Windows 10 sad

Then it's probably time to contact support for repair.

One question more, does this pcie card need power cable?
There is a jumper option for this, but I didn't use it.

29 (edited by waedi 2023-11-11 23:55:53)

antti.ilola wrote:

One question more, does this pcie card need power cable?
There is a jumper option for this, but I didn't use it.

From page 7 in the user manual :
Insert the PCI card firmly into a free PCI slot, press and fasten the screw.

There is no extra power cable, it would be described in there.

waedi wrote:

From the image it's obvious why the card can't work due to very much patina on the contacts.

No, this should not be a problem.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

This is the original RME PCIe card, there was never an Audiolink one, only PCI, IIRC....
So you install the card on a PC, and nothing shows up in the device manager at all? Have you tried various slots?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

32 (edited by antti.ilola 2023-11-13 15:04:38)

RME Support wrote:

This is the original RME PCIe card, there was never an Audiolink one, only PCI, IIRC....
So you install the card on a PC, and nothing shows up in the device manager at all? Have you tried various slots?

This is an old RME PCIe card, from different source than Audiolink interface box.
I have tried it on two Windows 10 machine and one Macpro, different slots are yet to be tested.
Nothing in the device managers.
Red error led shines on Audiolink.
Audiolink works ok with laptop.

I continued this old discussion thread with new questions.

Is it possible that other firewire components in computers are "disturbing"?

Or could Audiolink be too "old" for this card?

That wouldn't explain card not showing in device manager...