Topic: from USB-C port to PCI-e port adapter?

Hi everyone

I own a MadifaceXT connected via pci-e port to a Matrox T/Adp (thunderbolt adapter)

I'm very interested in new Dell XPS 15 laptop.

It has a thunderbolt(3) port on a USB-C connector...

are there any adapters from USB-C port to pci-e port? Or to Thunderbolt port (for Matrox adapter)?

thanks

Pietro

Re: from USB-C port to PCI-e port adapter?

I already ordered that Dell to find out myself. Will report once I have more info.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks!!! This is "Customer Support"!!!!   :-)))

Warm wishes

Pietro

So far no such adapters exist. I expect two products to show up beginning of 2016:

- A USB C to TB adapter. Might even come from Apple as soon as their newer MacBooks have fully fledged Thunderbolt 3 via USB C ports.

- Updated Thunderbolt breakout boxes from different manufacturers (Belkin, CalDigit etc), fed from a USB C port, providing USB 3.0, 3.1, Ethernet, eSATA and Thunderbolt. The Dell TB15 (announced accessory for the XPS15) is something like that. It is then possible to connect the Apple TB to FW adapter.

Until then we early adopters have to wait smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias!

Pietro

6 (edited by nomad2323 2016-01-13 14:04:53)

maybe diy solution with an adapter USB C to M2 mini PCIe => molex cable soldered on mini Pcie male ???

with this kind of adapter maybe :

http://www.bplus.com.tw/ExtenderBoard/P11S-P11F.html

The first adapter converting from USB C, or more precisely Thunderbolt 3 via USB C, to Thunderbolt (precisely TB 2) has now been announced - a product that can already be pre-ordered, but is not yet available:

http://www.startech.com/Cables/thunderb … BT3TBTADAP

Please note that the breakout box TB 15 from Dell, which I mentioned before and is (at least from Dell's side) supposed to be a universal USB C TB3 breakoutbox for all devices having such a port, does NOT provide a Thunderbolt port as most users will need and want. The socket is there but according to current information it has been crippled down to Display Port functionality.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi everyone!

Happy Easter

and a question.....

In a Dell TB15 picture I can see a Thunderbolt port: a site describes it as thunderbolt3 port....so if it's correct, now the problem is to find a TB3 <---->TB2 adapter.... I didn't find it....

Startech adapter doesn't seem to be available yet....maybe I'am wrong....

any news?

Wishes

Pietro C.

I now received the Startech USB-C to TB2 adapter. It works with the Dell XPS15 under Windows 10. I used the UFX+ directly into the Startech. I also used the Sonnet Echo Pro into the Startech to use Multiface, Digiface, RPM via the HDSPe ExpressCard. I used the MADIface ExpressCard. I even used the Netstor external PCIe chassis via its ExpressCard into this double adapter to use a HDSPe AES PCIe card. All of this works at lowest latency of 32 samples.

There are two problems though:

- Plug&Play is not working as expected. The audio interfaces will not be detected by Windows automatically. One has to insert the ExpressCard into the Echo, then connect the Echo into the Startech for Windows to react. Sometimes it is necessary to enter Device Manager, let it search for new hardware, and suddenly everything is there.

- Similarly one has to plug the FireWire audio interface into the Apple adapter, then insert it into the Startech adapter, oir the FW interface will not show up.

- The FireWire solution does not work perfectly, it causes a constant CPU load of > 20% on one CPU core. But audio and functions work. Maybe this issue gets solved later by updates from Intel and MS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME