1 (edited by zwobot 2016-02-07 15:05:20)

Topic: My Babyface gets warm/hot

Is it normal that Babyface (mk1, not Pro) gets warm during usage? My Babyface got to around 40-45 degrees celsius (I don't have a thermometer but it's a bit warmer than skin) while I had Ableton session loaded, but not even playing audio or doing anything. Room temperature is 21-22 degrees. All my previous interfaces had exactly the same temperature regardless of being connected or not, they stayed cold. So I'm a bit worried I got defective unit (I bought it second hand, still on warranty).

Edit:

What I basically want to ask is: if anyone uses a Babyface, please write here if your interface is warmer when in use than when it's off.

Re: My Babyface gets warm/hot

Hi there ,

I have the newer model ,The Pro  and I am facing the issue where my unit heats up just after 15 mins of iTunes playback as in its quite hot to touch. The temperature's more when working in Logic.  I don't think this is normal for the unit to heat up so quick .I asked a few owners on social media. One of whom told me that his unit gets warm but only after 4-6 hrs of continous use.

Did you get ur babyface replaced ? How did you solve the issue?

Pro version here. Yes, it get somewhat warm, "a bit warmer than skin". Don't bother me actually.

A temperature sensor is not that expensive, everybody has a different feeling, whats warm or hot.
Would IMHO ease the communication on that topic.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

A temperature sensor is not that expensive, everybody has a different feeling, whats warm or hot.
Would IMHO ease the communication on that topic.

I took the temperature its 42C at the face of the unit which indeed is quite hot considering I am using it for only 15 mins listening to iTunes.

6 (edited by ramses 2018-04-03 14:05:17)

42°C is IMHO not worrying in any way, but it might feel uncomfortably for working if the hands stay longer on the surface.

Maybe other BBF owner can present also numbers for comparison, then you know whether its simply warm or unusual warm.

Don't forget to also post your room temperature, might be a difference whether you live / work at 20°C or if the room temperature is already at 30 or 35°C like in the South or ASIA.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

As already stated in my email, this temperature is indeed nothing to be worried about.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

As already stated in my email, this temperature is indeed nothing to be worried about.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks ! I am still a bit concerned since other BF pro owners whom I have asked about the same online don't face this issue. There was one user who I quote said "It only gets warm after a mixing session of about 6 hours"

@ramses. Thanks for your input .My room temperature is about 24C

Consider that a processor is rated to a max temp usually around 100 degrees centigrade and sometimes higher.

Not to say a processor should run at 100 degrees but it shows you how hot these things can get before they break.

Also the Babyface is right next to it's internal components, and the new products (that I have) is metal therefore effectively a heat sink.

There are many electrical devices that get hotter than the Babyface, even a MacBook when pushed can get quite hot to touch.

42 degrees is nothing and is certainly nothing to be concerned with.  Now if you were to touch the device and it was too hot to touch for sometime, I might be concerned or if the temps were riding over 60 degrees.

As stated above - nothing to worry about. The outside getting warm shows you that heat inside is properly dissipated... And considering where you are, indeed slightly higher temperatures are not unusual. A month from now or so, everything you touch will be 42° or more anyhow... :-)

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME