1 (edited by djrem3000 2016-03-11 09:09:21)

Topic: RME UCX: distorted sound, harsh sound - finally reproduced

Hi,
Interface: RME UCX Fireface connected via USB;
System: Windows 7 64bit SP1;
Latest RME UCX drivers/firmware;

From time to time i got the distorted sound/harsh issue from my RME Fireface UCX, but i was unable to reproduce it constantly, unable to find the dependence on it's occurrence, even sent an email to official RME support for a known issues - but got a reply, that the drivers are stable, no known issues on distortions/harsh sound found.

Finally now i can reproduce it on demand:

So if you run any non-ASIO driver application in windows and start playing an audio - for e.x. start playing some song in Spotify or Winamp, then while still playing audio go to your "Fireface USB settings" and change "Buffer size" to any different value than the currently set, save setting, so the audio from Spotify or Winamp is still playing without any issues, then open some application which uses ASIO Fireface USB driver (e.x. - Ableton, FL Studio and etc). Then the audio from the non-ASIO driver application (Spotify or Winamp in our case) will start to harsh, gets distorted and etc. Even if you close the Ableton now - the audio will still be distorted in all Windows environment. Sometimes only restart helps.

Please check this and advise.
I could capture a video if needed to show all the process of reproducing.

Re: RME UCX: distorted sound, harsh sound - finally reproduced

This is not a bug or an 'issue' at all - it is fundamentally wrong usage and operation on your side.

The only way to 'fix' this would be to no longer support multiclient WDM/ASIO as we offer it now.

Simple rule - do not change the buffer size while WDM audio is running!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Phye 2017-01-08 17:57:00)

I am also having a problem with the sound suddenly becoming bitcrushed. I however am not changing samplerates but do have multiple sound sources: Netflix or Spotify etc. running while I'm also running my DAW. Apart from that I've had it turn up when running just a single sound source.

I used to get rid of it by turning off the UCX... but that doesnt feel right to my ears.

I looked back at a post from 2012 https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 485#p73485

It actually claims closing the background Totalmix and RME tools that run at startup removes the issue. And it did!

So i guess there is a conflict, at least in Windows between the different apps.

----

Correction, after a while (with the background apps closed) the Bitcrushed sound returned. But once I closed down other audio apps, the bitcrushed sound was gone again.

Running driver version 1.0.91.0 so updating drivers now

Alas, even with the latest drivers the Bitcrushed sound returned, while I was playing a game. No other sound sources where accessing the fireface. sad

To further examnine this problem you need to look at it in detail.

- What sample rate and buffer size setting is currently active?

- Let the Settings dialog open and check for USB errors over time and when the error occurs.

- How many WDM devices are activated, and what is the current setup in the Sound panel?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Momentarily when this occured I have:

Buffer size at 512 samples at 44khz

I dont see any errors, but they occured during Youtube playback, with my Daw Studio One, open in the background (but not playing)

In the Settings under Options - WDM Devices is set to 4

Could you tell me which sound panel you mean?   

I'm running my UFX over USB.  COuld it be a USB issue? After fiddleing with some settings in my Virus TI, turning off reverb to try and record the sound. I  heard a pop, when the plugin loaded/connected to The virus hardware.

After some fiddling the synth, but not anything spcific, the bitcrushed sound was gone again. I'm sure this has nothing to do with any intentional distortion plugin or FX. Also the sound occured during Youtube playback.

Is there maybe some diagnostic i could run?

Thanks in advance

I get the same issue with Fireface UFX and its not making me happy. I just got mine and when 1st set up everything was great. I came to this from an EMU 1820 whichI used with a custom built PC Daw . It played Cubase output , mp3's from Winamp and streamed music from Spotify with no problems. Slowly but surely in the last 3 weeks , Spotify output is crackled and bit crushed. I spent a lot on the RME interface and I want it to play all audio in my studio. I want to bounce ideas at my clients and show examples of genres without issues.

Why is this such a problem for a $1,800 interface but easy for a 15 year old one??

Phye wrote:

Buffer size at 512 samples at 44khz

I dont see any errors, but they occured during Youtube playback, with my Daw Studio One, open in the background (but not playing)

Erorrs are not acceptable and point to the real cause - an insufficient USB communication. Please use a different USB port in your computer, preferably even on a different USB controller.

Phye wrote:

Could you tell me which sound panel you mean?

Windows has only one Sound panel, in System Control. Hit the Windows key, type in Sound...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME