Topic: Bypassing Babyface Pro preamps?

Hi,

What is the best way to bypass the Babyface pro preamps so that I can use my own selection of outboard preamps?

I would prefer to connect to the Babyface Pro using balanced connection than the unbalanced TS connection of channels 3/4 but I am unsure as to whether I am able to get true line connection from input 1 and 2 and that the signal goes directly to the digital converters of the Babyface Pro like it does with the Audient id22 inserts?

Thanks

Re: Bypassing Babyface Pro preamps?

The BF Pro does not have a usual mic preamp. It uses a fully transparent input buffer which has the added bonus of adjusting its gain. Bypassing it would bring zero advantage, the circuit is needed as input buffer anyway. So set it to minimum gain and you can use any external preamp to colour your sound.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

does the same apply to the original babyface unit (not pro)?

The old Babyface had a dedicated mic preamp chip - but that one works similar to the Pro's circuit, so when talking about old-style mic preamp circuits and the variable gain line circuit, the old Babyface equals the latter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

hi matthias, so the inputs on the original babyface effectively act like line inputs when gain is set to minimum?

Yes, but the max input level is +10 dBu.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok thanks for the info.

Hi Matthias
Can I connect an external pre amp with trs output into the babyface pro line in 3 or 4?  Should I use a ts or trs cable?  If I must use a ts cable will it create problems?
Thanks

petercorser wrote:

Hi Matthias
Can I connect an external pre amp with trs output into the babyface pro line in 3 or 4?  Should I use a ts or trs cable?  If I must use a ts cable will it create problems?
Thanks

Hi
And is it best to use -10dBV or +4dBU when connecting the pre?
Would be great to hear a reply
Thanks
Peter

The BF Pro manual includes information about the balanced to unbalanced connection problems. In this case it depends on the outputs of your preamp if problems will occur or not and how to connect it.

As preamps usually have a hot output +4 seems the better choice.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi everyone. I have a question. Is it normal that witouth conecting anything in the AN1 putting the gain in 30 i can hear low hiss noise?  and when i put it in 50 or 60 the noise floor reachs abouts 70 or 65 dB (rms) is there a list of test  input gain to noise floor?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, this is normal.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME