Topic: Windows driver for OctaMic XTC

The OctaMic XTC can now be used as audio interface with 24 channels input and output under Windows, both WDM and ASIO. Driver and firmware are available on our website or here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … _09573.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_win.zip

Details:

So far the OctaMic XTC could be used as Class Compliant interface with the iPad (a perfect, universal front-end for it). As Mac OS X includes full support for CC devices it is also possible to use it as audio interface with up to 24 channels I/O on a Mac. Lacking UAC 2 support in Windows requires to write a CC driver - which we now did.

Firmware 47 adds some more Alternate Settings for better multichannel support at higher sample rates and RME-like ASIO performance, and driver 0.9573 adds the OctaMic XTC with WDM devices, full WDM configuration (stereo, multi-channel and speaker) as well as ASIO buffer size settings. The XTC can now be used without an additional audio interface as multi-capable I/O unit on any working desk, directly via USB, even with Windows.

Please note that there is no TotalMix FX support, and will never be.

Please report here if you find any problems!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Windows driver for OctaMic XTC

I temporarily reverted the download files to version 40 as there seems to be a problem with the gain control in v 46. Update coming.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The new firmware updates with v47 are now online.

If you update to v47 and the gain issue is still there simply repeat the whole firmware update process (including switching the unit off/on). After the second time flashing it will then have the correct version inside so that gain control works again. This crazy behavior is the very reason we did not see the problem during our tests with firmware 46 which introduced an 'sometimes double flash error'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Incredible news! Great work! Fantastatic!!!

Excellent news. This is going to be very handy for me.

I was wondering about documentation on operating this new mode - and how easily you can switch between this new mode (eg direct connection to Windows based PC) and the previous modes (MADI or ADAT)?

Nothing has changed. You route the channels in the menu as before, where USB as source and destination already existed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The new firmware updates with v47 are now online.

If you update to v47 and the gain issue is still there simply repeat the whole firmware update process (including switching the unit off/on). After the second time flashing it will then have the correct version inside so that gain control works again. This crazy behavior is the very reason we did not see the problem during our tests with firmware 46 which introduced an 'sometimes double flash error'.

Having flashed v47 now three times including shut off/on, I still face the mentioned error, that gain is much (~40dB) below expected (i.e. old) values.
What else can I do in order to get the correct gain again ?
So far, my XTC became useless.

I flashed shortly before a recording and read only the readme-file, where there is no hint for this problem at all.
So, I had a real problem with that weird behaviour!

Regards, udr

This error is not about 40 dB too low gain, but no gain control at all (apply a constant input signal and watch the level meter change or not when changing gain).

You might want to try to go back to v 40 and try another update cycle from there.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/xtc_v40_win.zip

If that also doesn't work we need your unit for examination.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

This error is not about 40 dB too low gain, but no gain control at all (apply a constant input signal and watch the level meter change or not when changing gain).

You might want to try to go back to v 40 and try another update cycle from there.

Thanks a lot for the quick answer and providing the old software.
Unfortunately, gain with v40 is still far below normal values (tested for channels 1/2/7/8).

If you don't have any more hints what to do, I will send it in.
Does the XTC go to Synthax ?

Regards, udr

udr wrote:
MC wrote:

Thanks a lot for the quick answer and providing the old software.
Unfortunately, gain with v40 is still far below normal values (tested for channels 1/2/7/8).

If you don't have any more hints what to do, I will send it in.
Does the XTC go to Synthax ?

Regards, udr

Hi there udr
I had the same problem as you.  I don’t know if my experience will help but I’ll tell you how I managed to resolve the issue …

Initially I was using driver_madiface_win_09573 and no matter if I applied FUT 40, 46 or 47  I couldn’t resolve to gain problem on the XTC.

So I uninstalled driver_madiface_win_09573 and installed an earlier version i.e. driver_madiface_win_09554.  Now when I applied the FUT the XTC gain issue was resolved – all working properly again.

By the way, I’m running Windows 10.
Hope this helps
Regards
Rob

Madi FX | Octamic XTC | Fractal AXE FX II
Win 10 x64 | Cubase 8.5 |

Dear Rob,

thanks for the hints.
Your description would fit to my Problem.
So I will try this out before I send my unit to RME.
Since I'm out of town, I can report on Wednesday earliest.

Regards,

udr

Dear Rob,

your description solved the problem - thanks!
I went back to madiface-driver 9485, flashed v40 and gain was back again.
After flashing v47, gain still worked and after going to madiface-driver 9574, everything works fine now.

So, as you mentioned, the problem seems to be Windows 7 (in my case 64bit professional) in combination with madiface-driver 9574. Flashing for this combination seems to be incorrect.

I will observe it a bit longer, but expect, that I don't need to send my XTC in for a repair.
So, thanks again.

Regards,

udr

13 (edited by Armack 2016-10-26 23:59:59)

udr wrote:

Dear Rob,

your description solved the problem - thanks!
I went back to madiface-driver 9485, flashed v40 and gain was back again.
After flashing v47, gain still worked and after going to madiface-driver 9574, everything works fine now.
udr

That's good news.

udr wrote:

So, as you mentioned, the problem seems to be Windows 7 (in my case 64bit professional) in combination with madiface-driver 9574. Flashing for this combination seems to be incorrect.

udr

I suspect the problem was due to something going on with madiface-driver 9573 (and 9574?)  causing the FUT tool to fail somehow - not necessarily a Window OS problem.  Both you and I had the same problem - you on Win 7 and I on Win 10. Common denominator being madiface-driver. Perhaps MC & team might look into this issue further.

Regards
Rob smile

Madi FX | Octamic XTC | Fractal AXE FX II
Win 10 x64 | Cubase 8.5 |

Yes, this is the most likely explanation. There had been a change in the driver to correctly determine the firmware version, but this mechanism fails if the firmware 46 had been flashed. Using the old driver will work then. Thanks for finding this one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Please note that updated manuals for the OctaMic XTC, version 1.3, covering Windows operation including WDM options etc., are now available on our website in the Downlaod section. Direct links:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/octamicxtc_e.pdf

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/octamicxtc_d.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've got a blank screen on the Octamic XTC after firmware upgrade errors......

Driver 0.9583
Firmware 47/25

Is there some way to recover the firmware, or will this unit need to be sent out for repair ?

Brian..

Please try to flash the old version 40 first.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Can you send the link, to version 40 flash file ?

Post 8, 9 and 10 above...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm using Windows 10 x64........

Seems like the hardware (on usb cable) is not even being detected by windows since the firmware flash failed.

Version 40 flash file cannot start, the display on XTC is just a white screen.
Is there a factory reset procedure for XTC ?

I've read through this post, all entries, My hardware (XTC) is not detected anymore when I plug the usb cable in.
I can't even get to the point where I roll back the firmware, please help me.

Brian

Do you see the unit in Windows Device Manager?

Press encoder 1 and the button Phones while switching on the unit. If that doesn't help then I fear sending in the unit will be necessary for further examination.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

XTC not seen in device manager, pressing encoder 1 and phones on startup does not change anything......

I'll package it up and ship it out, once I get the shipping information. Thank you.

I have quite similar situation.
At first gain had no effect on any channel, there was no audible click when turning on the PAD. Phantom went on and off.
I tried flashing the device. First I got some static signal on channels 6 to 8. I tried flashing with another USB cable. FUT reported 252 errors and after that I've been having white screen and the device is not recognized by Windows.
FUT doesnt't start anymore with the unit connected.
I tried enc 1 + Phones while switching on the unit, but nothing happens.

Is there something that I can try?

I have session coming on monday and I was planning to use the device.

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

We found the reason why some customers had problems to flash the OctaMic XTC succesfully. This is solved with the latest flash tool and driver package.

The Flash Update Tool updates the firmware to v 47 / 26. V 26 fixes gain settings of 0 dB being lost after power boot.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_win.zip

To update the firmware under Windows the new driver 0.9612 has to be installed first.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … _09612.zip

An updated Mac FUT is also available:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_mac.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great, many thanks !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13