Topic: No Asio Direct Monitoring in recent Totalmix FX

So I use Cubase as my DAW and want to use Direct Monitoring within it (Which I had been led to believe was possible) with my Fireface UFX...

Yet the option is not there in the preferences of Totalmix FX...

What the...

The option in device setup in cubase is greyed out as well...

Is there a solution to this...

I am running OSX El Capitan with Cubase Pro 8.5 and the Latest Fireface UFX USB Driver.

Help me please

Re: No Asio Direct Monitoring in recent Totalmix FX

ASIO Direct Monitoring is Windows only, there is no direct monitoring control of TotalMix from Cubase on a Mac.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

WHATTTTT...

Well that just makes things a bit less ergonomic doesn't it sad...

Surely there must be a way that RME can get it running in the system?

I gather I am not the only person who really would prefer to have direct monitoring running in cubase?

There is no ASIO in OSX - and therefore no ASIO Direct Monitoring. You can monitor in Totalmix, only CUbase can not control it the way it does with ASIO.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Well that is strange...

I recently set up a studio for a client running OSX with a Steinberg UR824 interface and it runs off an ASIO Driver as far as I am aware and it runs direct monitoring within Cubase....

So I would see it is clearly something that is possible to do within the OSX realm...

I understand that I can direct monitor with TotalMix unfortunately when it comes to running in a Tape Machine Fashion the dropping in and out is not as functional as running true direct monitoring within Cubase...

I just find it a tad frustrating having to go back and forth from cubase to total mix during a session all the time...

Is there ANY hope that this will be achieved at all?

Again, no ASIO in OSX. Core Audio only. Entirely possible that Steinberg have intregrated ways for Cubase to talk to their own hardware. This is not an OSX feature, though.
I believe there has been a sort of plan to implement some kind of Direct Monitoring into Core Audio, but it just never happened.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Well here is my biggest gripe!

As per the RME website and the product page for the Fireface UFX it is stated that "Windows and Mac OS X drivers are completely identical in terms of features and functionality."

To me this was why I felt when I read that the Fireface UFX has ASIO Direct Monitoring as part of its drive that I would in fact have this feature...

I really have a sour taste in my mouth because of this...

I truly appreciate your responses Daniel at the same time it is frustrating that there is a clearly false statement in the product feature description..

My Questions...

Has RME been in contact with Steinberg to ask how come they can have Direct Monitoring integrated on a mac through their interfaces... and how is it possible for RME to be able to integrate such feature in your mac driver?

Or

Has RME been onto Apple in regards to the shortcomings of the Core Audio system not allowing this feature to function?

This is not a cheap unit that I forked out a considerable amount of $$$ to purchase based on the fact that EVERYONE goes on and on about how good the RME Drivers are...

Well without this feature I am losing faith and heading towards a compromise of losing money selling the UFX secondhand and buying a Steinberg UR824 which will give me my 24 in and out AND DIRECT MONITORING...

I don't mean to sound angry or rude its just this feature of cubase is amazing and its not available to me on my brand new $4000iMac 5k if I use my $3199 RME UFX...

Really hope that there is light at the end of this tunnel..

Sorry but why not run bootcamp then? Cubase runs much better on windows, really!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Apart from that the philosophy of Apple is that latency is so low that you don't need Direct Monitoring.

> brand new $4000iMac 5k

Such a top hardware should work at lower buffer sizes (32/64 samples).

Apart from that II: You do have Direct Monitoring via TM FX, all that is missing is the automatic switch from playback to record signal (tape style monitoring). Most people seem not to need that, or Mac/Core Audio/Logic would have been avoided by most users.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just out of curiosity, what's the big deal here?  Using the ASIO direct monitoring in Cubase, you're essentially just controlling the UFX via Cubase.  I've never bothered with that feature...I simply do my monitoring through the UFX and TM.  Is it really that much more convenient to control via Cubase as opposed to via the TM window?  I can't imagine it would be, but never having used that feature, I don't know.

You don't get automatic punch in-out monitoiring (what I called tape style) without ADM.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME