Topic: RME's response to Antelope Goliath?

Hello friends,

at first I'd like to say that I've been having really great experience with various RME products for long time (HDSPe Aio, Madiface XT, Fireface 800, Fireface 802, Octamic, Micstasy etc..) with zero-latency TotalMix FX software incl. its loopback and individual submixes really justifying price/performance ratio,

only "problem" I see with RME product line is there is no decent all-in-one "beasty" portable device (sure it's possible to use FF 802 with two 8-channel adat preamps for total 20 mic inputs and 8 line inputs, but makes it 3-piece gear with adat optics cables feels "fragile" somehow,

recently Antelope released Goliath audio interface which kinda hits the sweetspot in terms of I/O (16 mics, 16 analog in, 2 madi, 2 adat etc.) except it features only thunderbolt 2 and usb 2.0 (so limited to 64 channels throughput),

so I wonder, is RME planning to release similar-equipped device, at similar price range eventually?
and what are your thoughts on this matter?

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Re: RME's response to Antelope Goliath?

We prefer smaller solutions where the customer can individually assemble a matching setup. For that amount of money you can easily buy the UFX+ and whatever extension you need.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by tzzsmk 2016-08-31 14:55:51)

alright fair enough, can't complain about that smile

personally I think "elegant" versatile solution shall always consist of audio interface and preamp (on stage or recording room) - connected together using some optics (madi or adat) to prevent ground looping and for better (legacy) compatibility, because it's always more comfortable to have one remotedly-controlled preamp on stage instead of fatty balanced audio snake smile)

which maybe leads to one more question of me, is RME planning (a lineup of) more-than-8-channel-mic-preamps, such as similar DirectOut Andiamo.MC (2U 32 channels), or is it just more convenient+versatile to optimize and daisy-chain let's say OctaMic XTC?

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

I see no sense with bigger than 8 channel preamps. If and when something goes wrong, like PSU dies, your whole system dies. But I would like to see Micstasy with Dante option card.
Topi