Topic: Babyface with USB-c to USB-b cable on new MBP?

Hey Folks,

as it says in the subject - has anyone tried running a babyface off of the new Macbook Pro with a USB-c to USB-b cable?

I am curious is the connection provides enough power to run the interface, and if it does, how stable it runs.

Appreciate any feedback!

Re: Babyface with USB-c to USB-b cable on new MBP?

USB 2.0 hat max 500mA und USB 3.0 hat max 900mA.

USB-C hat max 1500mA - das wird also für das Babyface in jedem Fall reichen.

Spannender ist ob der stabile Betrieb möglich ist, da es ja komplett neue Controller sein werden und sicher auch ein neues "USB 2.0 Fallback". Ich hatte schon eine ähnliche Frage hier gestellt, die leider bisher unbeantwortet blieb.

Ich nehme an, selbst bei RME werden die neuen MB Pros noch nicht Einzug gehalten haben...

Warten wir gespannt auf die ersten Berichte - speziell auch hinsichtlich Thunderbolt und USB 3.0 noch interessant.

ekneos wrote:

Warten wir gespannt auf die ersten Berichte - speziell auch hinsichtlich Thunderbolt und USB 3.0 noch interessant.

Danke für die schnelle Antwort!

Also ich denke auch, dass es an sich elektrisch kein Thema sein sollte. Die Frage, wie Du sagst, ist stabilität.

Das Laptop trifft planmässig am Donnerstag ein und ich werde testen. Hab schon ein paar verschiedene Kabeln bestellt - ich habe bisher die Erfahrung gemacht, dass das Babyface äusserst sensibel ist auf die Kabel. Witzigerweise, mag es meistens total billige Kabeln. Mit hochwertigen Kabeln streikt das Interface gern.

Werde mich noch mal melden nach dem ersten Testen, werde es aber natürlich erst wirklich sagen können nach einigen Stunden fehlerfreien Betrieb.

Ok, first results are in.

1 the Belkin cable from the Apple store cannot even start the babyface. (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HHSS2 … nter-cable)

2 this cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YS … ge_o03_s01) by Cable Matters was able to start the interface, but unable to power it consistently and the babyface turned on-and-off repeatedly.

3 this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WJ … &psc=1) Belkin cable from Amazon was the only one that was able to power up the Babyface and keep it on. I didn't have a lot more time to test, but I was able to briefly just listen on headphones to stable music.

Will spend some more time this weekend and report back.

Hi cmeid,

Any update from your side?

Or from the RME-guys?

Thanks!

Hey ekneos,

so a few things: I am wondering if my particular babyface might be defective. When I bought it in January 2015 the included cables never worked, it didn't even start, but another cable I had (that had been shipped with a faderfox) worked fine. I didn't worry about it too much until later I discovered that literally no other cable but this single one works with the babyface. With some cables the interface will start, but it is never recognized by the computer. I assumed it was some problem with my setup.

Now, with the new cables I ordered, one worked at first but it does not work anymore since then. The cable that was shipped with the babyface worked (with usb-c adapters on both the data and power cable) and was very stable for about 24 hours, but the babyface doesn't start anymore with that cable.

Funnily enough, the same USB cable from the faderfox that has been reliable in the past works totally reliably with the babyface again, with a usb-c converter on it. I was able to get through about a 4 hour performance with that cable. Of course, there are no markings on the cable and I have no idea what makes that cable so special and how to get other ones like it. I have probably purchased 10 different cables at this point looking for another one that works reliably with the babyface, but I can't find one.

I think I'm going crazy. (Or, more likely, the Babyface is somehow defective)

Thanks for the info, cmeid.

In the meantime I had the chance to test with my MADIface Pro and MBP15 late 2016. It works flawlessly, no problems so far.

I used this cable: https://www.amazon.de/Belkin-Drucker-ex … usb-b&