Topic: Can the ADI-2 Pro work in an aggregate mode?

Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing the ADI-2 Pro as well as a 4 channel MIDI interface (iConnectmidi4+).

However, when using both interfaces, I was instructed to use the interfaces in an aggregate mode (treating both interfaces as a single interface within my DAW).

My question is, can the ADI-2 Pro work in an aggregate mode (while using RME's ASIO driver)?

The following forum post:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi … p;start=15

...recommended that a user (performing something similar using the Fireface 800 plus the iConnectmidi4+) use ASIO4ALL, rather than RME's ASIO driver.

This resulted in all sorts of issues (audio drop-outs, pops, high buffer settings, etc) and after months of trying to get it to work, the original poster wasn't able to get things to work.

Given that I plan on using a digital piano as well as an electronic drum set in my studio (both which use MIDI), my question is, can the ADI-2 Pro work in such a studio environment (where MIDI is used) using RME's ASIO driver?

Thank you,
Nelson

Re: Can the ADI-2 Pro work in an aggregate mode?

There is no such thing as "aggregate mode" in Windows (it's a Core Audio / OSX thing). And there is no need to use anything but the ASIO driver in connection with another MIDI interface.
ASIO does not affect the choice of MIDI within your DAW at all, as it is for audio only. The suggestion to use ASIO4All is nonsense..

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

There is no such thing as "aggregate mode" in Windows (it's a Core Audio / OSX thing). And there is no need to use anything but the ASIO driver in connection with another MIDI interface.
ASIO does not affect the choice of MIDI within your DAW at all, as it is for audio only. The suggestion to use ASIO4All is nonsense..

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for the clarification.

So basically, as long as the MIDI interface is used merely to pass MIDI notes (rather than MIDI + audio), both the MIDI interface's driver and the ADI-2's driver can co-exist on the same system, and will not conflict with one another, correct?

Thank you for all your  help,
Nelson

You know that ADI-2 Pro is not a recording interface, it has no total mix support  ?!

What do you require ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by nelson_a 2016-12-16 23:32:55)

ramses wrote:

You know that ADI-2 Pro is not a recording interface, it has no total mix support  ?!

What do you require ?

Hello Ramses,

From my understanding, the ADI-2 Pro is capable of acting as an audio interface to a DAW.

Are you absolutely certain that the ADI-2 Pro can't record to PCM?

If so, this throws a huge monkey wrench into my entire studio setup.

Nelson

ramses wrote:

What do you require ?

Hello Ramses,

I believe you're mistaken (I could be wrong though).

From the ADI-2 Pro's manual:

"When used as USB interface, the Class Compliant UAC 2 mode can be set to Stereo or Multichannel.
Multi-channel mode turns the ADI-2 Pro into a 6 channel (Analog 1/2, AES, SPDIF)
record and 8 channel (Analog 1/2/3/4, AES, SPDIF) playback audio interface, that even works
as iPad front-end up at up to 192 kHz sample rate. In stereo mode sample rates up to 768 kHz
are supported, for high resolution recordings or PCM, DXD and DSD record/playback. "

I could be wrong, but I'm seriously hoping you're wrong as I don't want to have to choose another interface.

Thanks for the heads up though,
Nelson

7 (edited by ramses 2016-12-17 10:39:27)

The ADI-2 is an AD/DA converter and thus has no TotalMix FX.
If you do all the routing in the DAW then its fine, but you have not Totalmix capabilities with a converter.

Typical Recording Interfaces like the UFX+, UFX, 802, etc come with Totalmix.
With Totalmix you can
- control the routing inside of the interface and
- create nice headphone mixes

Taken from UFX+ in regards to Totalmix:
"Since 2001, TotalMix has added unlimited routing and mixing to RME audio interfaces. Its unique capability to create as many independent submixes as output channels available, turned it into the most flexible and powerful mixer of its kind.

With supported hardware, TotalMix FX includes a complete effects system, which not only adds flexibility to the recording chain, but also makes latency saddled software solutions obsolete.

TotalMix FX can completely replace an external mixer, enabling the creation of multiple latency-free monitor mixes with EQ, Dynamics, Reverb and Delay for any outputs, incl. main monitors and headphone mixes for musicians."

For the same prince you could get an UFX (esp. with the currently running promotion) or if you expand your budget a little, then you could get also an UFX+ which is a recording interface offering useful features like Durec and many others.
UFX and UFX+ also have nice stand-alone control capabilities by the Display.

The question is whether you want or require TotalMix or not.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

The ADI-2 is an AD/DA converter and thus has no TotalMix FX.
If you do all the routing in the DAW then its fine, but you have not Totalmix capabilities with a converter.

Typical Recording Interfaces like the UFX+, UFX, 802, etc come with Totalmix.
With Totalmix you can
- control the routing inside of the interface and
- create nice headphone mixes

Taken from UFX+ in regards to Totalmix:
"Since 2001, TotalMix has added unlimited routing and mixing to RME audio interfaces. Its unique capability to create as many independent submixes as output channels available, turned it into the most flexible and powerful mixer of its kind.

With supported hardware, TotalMix FX includes a complete effects system, which not only adds flexibility to the recording chain, but also makes latency saddled software solutions obsolete.

TotalMix FX can completely replace an external mixer, enabling the creation of multiple latency-free monitor mixes with EQ, Dynamics, Reverb and Delay for any outputs, incl. main monitors and headphone mixes for musicians."

For the same prince you could get an UFX (esp. with the currently running promotion) or if you expand your budget a little, then you could get also an UFX+ which is a recording interface offering useful features like Durec and many others.
UFX and UFX+ also have nice stand-alone control capabilities by the Display.

The question is whether you want or require TotalMix or not.

Hello Ramses,

To be honest with you, as long as my DAW can properly route my audio (I'll be using REAPER), the loss of Totalmix is not a big deal (especially considering that ADI-2 Pro is really just a 2 in / 2 out interface - so there's not that much to route).

I'd love it if the ADI-2 Pro came with Totalmix, but I don't mind sacrificing convenience for higher quality AD, DA, SRC and headphone outputs.

But just to clarify, you agree that the ADI-2 Pro can record PCM, correct?

It's just that the routing must be carried out by the DAW, correct?

If that's the case, I can live with that.

Once again, thank you for all your help and suggestions as you've helped me better understand the capabilities (and limitations) of the ADI-2 Pro.

Thank you,
Nelson

>But just to clarify, you agree that the ADI-2 Pro can record PCM, correct?
>It's just that the routing must be carried out by the DAW, correct?
>If that's the case, I can live with that.

yes + yes + fine wink