Topic: TotalMix on iPad: ADAT vs SPDIF

Hey folks -

I have a Babyface Pro running in 'CC' mode, and it's connected to my iPad running the latest TotalMix.  I have the Babyface's optical out running to the SPDIF input on my PC's SoundBlaster ZxR card, and I set the interface to "SPDIF".  However, it randomly seems to reset itself to the default of ADAT without any sort of notification or warning.  The only way I know it's reset itself is when the SoundBlaster receives no input from the mixer.

Is there some way to prevent TotalMix (or the Babyface) from defaulting back to ADAT?  I really need it to keep the optical interfaces in SPDIF mode.

Thanks!

Re: TotalMix on iPad: ADAT vs SPDIF

Hey jvp and RME Admin,

just by chance I was looking up the forum if there is a solution for this "SPDIF to ADAT fall back" that I am getting as well.
Surprisingly there is this topic and no answer provided ever since 2016.

Once again I'd like to raise this question:
The Babyface Pro randomly resets itself to the default of ADAT without any sort of notification or warning, but with a loud Noise on the Master output due to clock sync issues.
"Is there some way to prevent TotalMix (or the Babyface) from defaulting back to ADAT?"

Thank you for your support
Stefan

(Babyface Pro, TotalMix for iPad V. 1.40, iOS 11.3, Ipad Pro MPHG2FD/A)

3 (edited by ronnyksharma 2018-04-05 09:46:01)

I have been using TotalMix FX app on my iPad Pro for a while now, it was working just fine when my iPad was running iOS 10 today as I have updated to iOS 11.3 now as I open the app it only loads a blank white screen during it's startup and gradually after few secs crashes itself. Can anyone help me?

--
Ronny
Tutuapp

jvp wrote:

Hey folks -

I have a Babyface Pro running in 'CC' mode, and it's connected to my iPad running the latest TotalMix.  I have the Babyface's optical out running to the SPDIF input on my PC's SoundBlaster ZxR card, and I set the interface to "SPDIF".  However, it randomly seems to reset itself to the default of ADAT without any sort of notification or warning.  The only way I know it's reset itself is when the SoundBlaster receives no input from the mixer.

Is there some way to prevent TotalMix (or the Babyface) from defaulting back to ADAT?  I really need it to keep the optical interfaces in SPDIF mode.

There seems to be a small bug in TM FX for iPad which always falls back to ADAT as output format. But it might help to make sure that in stand-alone mode (power but no USB) the output is set to SPDIF format as well: select output OPT, then click SET, then Select to choose between ADAT (8 LEDs) and SPDIF (2 LEDs).

We will update the TM FX for iPad app in the near future with all the latest changes and fixes of TM FX 1.5, and then also fix this ADAT problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey,
Thank you for the outlook to TM 1.5!

experimenting with your workaround - but seems tricky when using a Powered hub.
I now work with the Babyface Pro connected via Powered USB hub and Apple USB 3 Camera connector connected to the iPad.
Set to SPDIF on the unit itself and do not use the TM app.
I use Audiobus or AUM for audio routing instead.
Cant't wait for the update because I miss the direct monitoring and EQs.
Any time frame for the update available?

..just found out:
When opening TM V.1.4.0 on iPad and setting Optical to SPDIF and then storing the Workspace: SPDIF is persistent even when bringing other Apps to foreground and the switching back to TM.
Switching back to ADAT when TM is closed and reopened again though..

I'd love to see a guide on how to use TM in conjunction with other widely used Audio apps (AB3, AUM, GB, Auria, ..)
It still seems to matter which one is opened after the other and there is no clear status regarding the amount of Output channels.

MC wrote:

We will update the TM FX for iPad app in the near future with all the latest changes and fixes of TM FX 1.5, and then also fix this ADAT problem.

Could you give any Info on the planned release date?

TM 1.5 is here - will check soon!!
Thank you for the update and mentioning the SPDIF/ ADAT issue in the App release notes.
Cheers
Stefan

See also here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 68#p132068

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME