Topic: ADI-2 Pro power-off light ring

Can't find anything wrong in the ADI-2 Pro. It's a joy to use, no less, and even more to listen to.
But when I switch it off, that red ring lighting up around the power button is the only thing I wouldn't want to see on it.
It makes it stand out from afar, and in the dark, too, like the stupid operator forgot to switch it off when he left.
Besides... I often sleep here, too, and it watches me... spoooky!

The way my ADI-2 Pro is rigged, I can't access the back panel easily (hence I cannot easily remove the DC IN locking connector), nor I can wire a separate powerline with a separate power switch just for the ADI-2 Pro, as there are pieces of equipment that need power to perform backup operations even when in semi-off mode (with all front LEDs off).

I'm sure you can easily find hundreds of honest users, here on this forum, who might think this red LED ring lighting up when the unit's off is a neat feature, and this proves we're not all going in the same direction at any given time. Want the guy who has disabled all ports' LEDs on the nearby Cisco SG300 network switch, in order to cut on AC mains power unnecessary waste? OK, you've found him, and I hear people calling this futile every two days (or even one), but still...

Any chance that it can be simply un-powered while in power-off mode from a setup setting, in a future firmware update, please?
Like a "Support the Kyoto Conference Resolution for a cleaner future?" statement? :-)

Re: ADI-2 Pro power-off light ring

Not possible, sorry. My tip would be to cut out a small ring of dark adhesive tape and put it over the light ring. This way it also doesn't shine white when powered on, but that function is redundant (thanks to the display) anyway.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2016-12-24 10:23:52)

I connect my electric devices (computer, recording) behind a multiple socket-outlet - combined with overvoltage protection and line filter - where I can power on/off all devices at once. This protects the devices and saves energy shall some devices consume energy in standby mode. This would also solve your issue.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by rbbrnck 2016-12-24 11:59:42)

Thank you for your replies, MC + Ramses.
I have sectioned my AC supply with power strips, too, those neat Knürr ones with filter, and servo (bipolar) switch that are so hard to find here, and cost only twice as much as a Neumann stereo set... I just did not want to run another one just for the ADI-2 Pro, which is on a different bench, with its own seat in front.

And... yes, optical black-out is easy, practical, and backward-compatible, done with either stage gaffa tape, or low-tack luthier paper mask tape.

I see why it's there, though, even if the display might trick us all in thinking it's redundant: in case the display fails, service + support personnel might want to ask "is the ring lit, or is it not?" with a puzzled user on the phone.

But that's the engineering habit kicking in, don't bother; the more I listen, the more I'd want a switch to off anything visual. Which isn't in line with today's tech trend, at all.

Again, sincere (and well deserved) compliments for your superb engineering, design, construction, and support competence. You make our lives (and our lives' sounds) better.

rbbrnck wrote:

Besides... I often sleep here, too, and it watches me... spoooky!:-)

rbbrnck,

It IS watching You!! 

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Yes, @Curt962, it does watch me, definitely.

For quite some time, I used some fancy-coloured gaffer tape to black-it out.
You know, different colours every now and then, make it nice... seemed the right thing to to.
Then I re-wired it to another Knürr power strip, and now it's lighted only when it's powered.

But, hey, that's the only thing I would have liked done differently on the ADI2-PRO, the only one.
And, honestly, I can't say the same of a lot of other devices I own and use, daily or weekly or monthly.
So, ultimately, after the firmware in which autodark was added, it's better than ever, i have and use two, exact ones!

The "Watching Me" thing simply revived a Funny Incident with my Eldest Son, who as a Toddler wandering about the House late at night, decades ago...

He saw the Stdby Lights on my Subwoofers and....Oh Man....TERROR!

Funny Stuff!

ADI-2 DAC owner here, but if your experience with the PRO is anything like mine with the DAC, You'll be extremely Pleased!!

All the Best!

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes