Topic: Adi-2 Pro vs ADi-8 QS AD/DA

Hi there,

I would love to get an answer from an RME official for that. I'v been looking to upgrade my DA. I wanted to know if there's any difference in the AD/DA section between the new ADI-2 Pro and the QS. I currently own a QS and it sounds great but I'v heard great comments from mastering houses on the new ADI-2 pro and wanted to know If there's any reason to purchase one for monitoring purposes or they are pretty similar?

Thanks!

2 (edited by ramses 2017-02-06 09:06:26)

Re: Adi-2 Pro vs ADi-8 QS AD/DA

I am not from RME, my opinion on this is:

ADI-2 Pro has latest converter technology and is aimed to be reference class.
Very attractive to be used to drive high quality monitors and headphones.

Maybe the best is - as usual - to get both and then to benchmark them inside of your toolchain.
We have not your room, your ears, your tools, your monitors.

My question to you would be, where your focus is and whether you need
- high quality  D/A conversion for headphones / monitors or
- more channels anyway where you would need the ADI-8 QS

This you can only answer to yourself.

It maybe also depends on your setup .. where you need the channels.
the ADU-8 QS offers MADI, thus also a flexibility in terms of where to place the unit.

Best is surely to get both devices as you might have use cases for both of them.
- getting highest quality for Headphones and Speakers and uses cases like SRC, USB DAC, mobile headphone amp
- being able to have more I/O channels in high quality ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by itayexpose 2017-02-06 10:04:27)

Thanks for the fast replay. I'm looking for the best DA possible for my mixing/mastering process. I'm working in an extremely balanced room.
I have more than enough inputs and outputs and I also own a ULN-2 Expanded. the reason I ask is because even though I'v tested my QS DA along with few other DA's such as Aurora,Orpheus and a Rosetta 200 and found it to be superior to the Aurora/Rosetta 200 and below the orpheus (in my opinion of course),I do feel the ULN-2 expanded (with the ULN-8 clock) feels far superior (in my opinion) in terms of depth,clarity,goes lower in the bass region and stereo image. In fact, when clocking my QS to the ULN clock my QS has become more 3D, faster, goes even lower (which it does pretty awesome with RME's clock anyway) and have a better stereo image. I was actually really surprised and even shocked that the difference was that big.
So my questions is, will the ADI-2 Pro will be a much better DA for monitoring purposes or should I take a different direction for that purpose? I will still use to QS for its great features and sound while working with my hardware.

Much appreciate! thanks!

Itay

4 (edited by ramses 2017-02-06 16:16:14)

From what you can read in many of the reviews the ADI-2 simply rocks.
Simply try it .. you can send it back if you don't like it.

I personally tested the ADI-2 Pro against the DAC-40 module of an Accuphase E-600 Class-A amplifier with B&W 803 D3 speakers.

It was not an optimal room and we didn't listen at louder volumes.

What I could hear in this setup is, that the ADI-2 Pro draws a slightly more detailed picture of the room / instruments.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13