Topic: TotalMix FX Surround Monitor Section

Hi there - any update on surround features being integrated into the monitor section of TMFX? I know there was talk of this being implemented in 2015. With the prevalence of surround / immersive audio, I find myself needing more and more a dedicated setup that gives more feedback beyond a fader group in TM. Any info (if possible) would be appreciated! I understand product development often limits what can and can't be talked about. Thanks!

Re: TotalMix FX Surround Monitor Section

Still on our list, and sorry for the delay.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

great to hear that you are working on it

do you plan a bass management system for the surround monitor section? it would be highly appreciated

subscribed! I've currently got a surround sound setup that feels a bit hacked together in TotalMix and would love something more streamlined.

cebolao wrote:

great to hear that you are working on it

do you plan a bass management system for the surround monitor section? it would be highly appreciated

Agree on the bass management system. Would be great to have a switchable setup to engage / bypass BM depending on speaker setup being used. Fingers crossed!

it would be nice to be able to calibrate the monitoring.

right now i have the main output fader set to -18 dB (and 4 other faders for C, LFE, Ls, Rs following the main output in group).

this is the monitoring level that gives me 78 dB in my control room.

it would be great to see the calibrated levels (78 dB, 82 dB etc), not a strange "-18 dB" value. and now i can accidentally double click the main level fader, set it to 0dB and blow my speakers and my ears with superloud volume.

i used to have a tascam ds-m 7.1 monitor controller in my studio, but it died recently and i would like to replace all it's features with rme total mix application. i am sure there are lots of postproduction studios that would appreciate the new monitor section in total mix.

i would even buy the new usb controller, it looks cool and it has more assignable buttons wink

if you need a beta tester for the new surround monitor section - i would be more than happy to help you.

more cool features for surround monitor section:

- mute / solo individual channels (L, C, R, Ls, Rs, LFE)
- 1/3 octave graphic equaliser for every channel for fine-tuning the room

that would be great!

Also agree that with the new ARC USB, this is a slam dunk - the extra buttons on the new remote seem perfect for assigning to mute/ solo individual outputs or engage/ disengage BM. Again, I know these things take time - it's great to see Matthias and everyone here listening to the end-users. Will also offer up alpha / beta feedback if it would be helpful in any way.

cebolao wrote:

more cool features for surround monitor section:

- mute / solo individual channels (L, C, R, Ls, Rs, LFE)
- 1/3 octave graphic equaliser for every channel for fine-tuning the room

that would be great!

Also some rooms require delay capabilities for each channel.

Hello everyone, agreeing 100% for 5.1 Control room in TotalMix, maybe the 1/3 octave EQ or delays are a bit too much for the onboard DSP but solo and mute across 5.1 in Control room is definitely cherry

Cheers

it's not too much

it would be a killer app!

we already have the 3 band eq and dynamics on every input and output, if the dsp horsepower allows it, why not have the graphic eq on 6 output channels?

MC wrote:

Still on our list, and sorry for the delay.

Any update on this? I'm in the market for a new surround interface and this is on the top of my list.

13 (edited by Potscrubber 2017-08-08 20:06:39)

cebolao wrote:

it would be nice to be able to calibrate the monitoring.

right now i have the main output fader set to -18 dB (and 4 other faders for C, LFE, Ls, Rs following the main output in group).

this is the monitoring level that gives me 78 dB in my control room.

it would be great to see the calibrated levels (78 dB, 82 dB etc), not a strange "-18 dB" value. and now i can accidentally double click the main level fader, set it to 0dB and blow my speakers and my ears with superloud volume.

i used to have a tascam ds-m 7.1 monitor controller in my studio, but it died recently and i would like to replace all it's features with rme total mix application. i am sure there are lots of postproduction studios that would appreciate the new monitor section in total mix.

i would even buy the new usb controller, it looks cool and it has more assignable buttons ;)

if you need a beta tester for the new surround monitor section - i would be more than happy to help you.

Sounds easy! :o How is TMFX susposed to know the sensitivity and output of your monitors?  The volume and acoustic nodes of your room?  Also sounds like you need to attenuate the input to your monitors.  If they do not feature input level controls, in-line pads are available.

Madiface XT, Madiface, 3x Micstasy, ADI8QS
Sequoia 17, W10 x64
https://bsound.co.nz/tools-nix

I'm using the Apple OS Volume control on my wireless keyboard with my new FF UC as master volume even for 5.1 control in my home.
I don't miss my somehow clumsy remote control for my ADI 8 QS, which I now use as headphone DA converter, when recording somewhere else.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Any chance we might see something address this at AES this year? Multi-channel / immersive audio is quickly becoming the norm... Would love to see a streamlined way to control the tons of inputs / outputs for our hardware with an expanded multi-channel capable control room section in TMFX...

Very surprised that surround monitoring options are not available in 2017 (vs. the output grouping workaround kludge). Was almost ready to buy the UFX+, but think I shall wait because multiple mon configs are core to my studio, including 5.1 surround. Presently, a UA Apollo handles this well, the surround monitoring paths sent by ADAT light pipe to an RME ADI-8 an on to speakers ... really, would have thought the UFX+ to be an ideal complement to that. Then there's ProTools HD and the possible complement of other, larger surround formats. Don't get it, why this is not yet here with TotalMix.

Dell T7910, Win10 x64, 64GB, 1080Ti. Resolve Studio, Adobe Premier, Nuendo, Pro Tools HD, Live.

17 (edited by Nirvana5253 2017-10-27 17:06:04)

I agree - with as many inputs and outputs that these devices offer, something a little more robust in terms of surround or multi channel monitoring control would be amazing! I realize there's only so much room on the FPGA for this and all of the coding that is involved to add this to TMFX but multi channel is here to stay it seems especially with the advent of AR / VR / MR and Atmos, Auro, etc...

Is anyone here using TMFX with or without the new ARC USB to control their surround setup in a way that feels functional and not like a bit of a hack? It seems everyone is in this market space (JBL Intonatno, DAD Pro MON, etc.) creating monitor controllers (hardware plus software) at the moment...

Keeping an eye on the NAMM news - great to see TMFX expanding even more! Any chance we might see a surround control room setup any time soon or integration with the ARC USB for surround speaker control? Keep up the great work!