Topic: Thunderbolt 3 to Firewire 400 for Fireface 400

I see these questions coming up now for Thunderbolt 3 type-c ports. I have purchased a new pc workstation laptop moving from mac. It is a Clevo based p750 with z170 chipset.

Just to keep this thing going until i can afford the upgrade as the FF400 is solid.

Will the Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 and thunderbolt 2 to firewire 800 adaptor be enough and stable ?

I have yet to get the machine and i have to source the adaptors. I have read how to work out bios and irq issues. Just need to know if people have been successful. I probably needed to build that rack workstation and i could have used a pci card but i had to get this first as my mac died !

Let me know

Re: Thunderbolt 3 to Firewire 400 for Fireface 400

Exactly the same question I was wondering, only on windows platform.  I guess I am going to have to order the TB3>TB2 adapter as I already ordered the TB2>Firewire 800...

Will let you know how it goes.. One thing I noticed about apples TB3>TB2 adapter is it does not support power through.. But I guess that's not necessary anyways?

Hi. I took the risk and it is working.

Apple Thunderbolt 3 type-c to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor. Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800 Adaptor. The thunderbolt chipset recognises these adaptors. Then a FW400 to FW800 cable. It works with the RME and no dropouts.

Thanks for Checking electroteque!

Good to hear that...Thanks for verifying..  Have both of those on the way...

While I was at it I also ran across a USB To IEEE 1394 4-Pin Cable that is supposedly compliant @ up to 480mb/sec in both directions so I guess that might be worth trying out as well...  only $5.88 vs $32 each for the apple connectors.

If it works owl just send them back.  This board has a "red" usb 3.1 port as well for the thunderbolt out : )

This forum does have a search function:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=23693

Also interesting:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=22763

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by david-p 2017-03-14 18:59:00)

earthtokirk wrote:

...  I also ran across a USB To IEEE 1394 4-Pin Cable that is supposedly compliant @ up to 480mb/sec in both directions so I guess that might be worth trying out as well...  only $5.88 vs $32 each for the apple connectors.

1. Where do you get these, please?
2. Has anyone used them with FF400?

Thanks!

David

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

That USB to FW cable is probably one of two;

The first kind is just a cable. It's dangerous, as it will connect FW power to USB power directly. FW is up to 30V. USB power is 5V. Do I need to draw a picture as to what happens? IMHO, the creator should be flogged.

The second kind is a real adapter, with electronics, that works for a few models of FW-equipped digital video cams. It doesn't work for the FF400, or any other FW audio interface, or even for a harddisk.

At 5$, this one is likely the first kind.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

electroteque wrote:

Hi. I took the risk and it is working.

Apple Thunderbolt 3 type-c to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor. Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800 Adaptor. The thunderbolt chipset recognises these adaptors. Then a FW400 to FW800 cable. It works with the RME and no dropouts.

This did not work for my 2017 macbook pro... any leads as to why?

10 (edited by Jacarty 2018-02-03 22:02:14)

Doesn't seem to work on my MacBook Pro 2017 either. Tried it, but Ableton doesn't recognise the Fireface 800. Can it be a problem with the drivers?

Update: IT WORKS!

To solve the problem on with new MacBook Pro 2017 high Sierra uninstall Fireface 800 drivers. Somehow apple blocks content which is necessary for the ff800 to work.

After you have installed the drivers, you need to go to Apple Logo > System Preferences > click 'Security and Privacy'. In there, click the 'Allow' button in the lower right corner. Now you allow your computer to download all the necessary files.

Go to RME website again and download the driver. Restart your computer and it should work now.