Topic: A laptop recommendation

I am looking at buying a new Windows laptop which will be used with the USB port of my UFX in conjunction with Samplitude. Because I sometimes have to take my gear, including mics, by air travel within Europe for recordings of orchestras and choirs involving up to 12 or so mics, I am considering a lightweight machine like the Dell XPS 13.  Does anyone here have experience of this machine?  I read that they suffer from "coil whine".  Is this a major problem in the context of audio recording?  What competing machine have three or more USB ports?  Any advice welcome.  Many thanks in advance

David

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

2 (edited by garry 2017-02-16 00:12:09)

Re: A laptop recommendation

i run a surface pro 4 i5 8gb 256 with 256gb microsd for backup.. both ssd & microsd bitlocker protected, no noticeable hit in performance and should it get stolen or lost and a 3u case with ufx/xtc/octapre to get 20 mic channels at 88.2k from that lot i run the xtc into both adats on the ufx and the octopre analogue outs to the analog ins if the ufx
only record at 88.2k around 20 channels and it doesn't break a sweat..
super light, touchscreen too.
If you have a surface pro 4 and hammer the cpu, they do have a high pitched fan noise... but doing recording for hours on end, the cpu is so little its never come on.
Only has 1 x usb, but i just use a tiny usb splitter from anker. which has ufx/ilok/elicenser/wavesusblicensepen

has a microhdmi out port to connect more screens if needed.

I also just stumbled upon the joys of lemur/osc with totalmix & cubase, so nice to just move round the room, adjusting/controllling. and giving control to artists.
Love the surface, wish RME would release a real windows 10 app frontend or version of totalmix with full support for the high resolution and touchscreen.
Totalmix works fine on it, but only really controllable with the touchpad or mouse, as the faders are just so small to use touch (but with totalmix from an osc controller, its very cool too)

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

The 'coil whine' is not part of the record/playback audio, and its volume changes from device to devcie. Basically the XPS13 works. For me the screen is far too small, though, so I went with the XPS15.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by david-p 2017-02-16 17:42:32)

Thank you! I will consider the 15" version; but it is 1kg heavier and considerably more expensive.  The major problem is that carry on has now been reduced to 8 kg, and every kg counts! Most cases start off weighing c. 3kg and at VIE they often weigh your carry on bag before you get to the security check...  Air travel becomes ever more unpleasant each year! smile

David

Classical ambisonic surround recording: UFX, FF400, Alesis HD24, Edirol R-44/88, Samplitude ProX 3.

david-p wrote:

Thank you! I will consider the 15" version; but it is 1kg heavier and considerably more expensive.  The major problem is that carry on has now been reduced to 8 kg, and every kg counts! Most cases start off weighing c. 3kg and at VIE they often weigh your carry on bag before you get to the security check...  Air travel becomes ever more unpleasant each year! smile

David

Hi David, which laptop/tablet did you go with in the end? We're considering returning our 2018 MBP due to glitching (having successfully used a 2010 MBP for 8 years!) and am unsure where to turn next...

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

I am buying a new laptop for Babyface Pro. Will Dell 9570 be a safe bet?

I just want a laptop for Ableton live, samplitude and reason using Babyface Pro.

I will get a 9560 if necessary since that’s what MC uses smile

I use a 9550, but the 9570 should work as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That was a 'marketing' spammer, I removed the account.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME