1 (edited by trubadix 2017-03-20 12:32:26)

Topic: Madiface XT or HDSPe Madi FX connection

I have a problem with finding the best current use and yet future proof solution for using one of these two interfaces. Currently, I have a 2009 (upgraded) Mac Pro that still suits my needs as a main machine, as I use two slave computers to offload virtual instruments. As I want low latency, I am even looking at the possibility to use two Madi FX on the main machine, as I want to loop back several channels, use multiple hardware devices via madi (two ADI 8 QS) and connect the slave PCs with one madi port each, but I might use VEpro for routing the Slaves audio, so I might be fine with one Madi FX.
However, I want to be able to connect the Madi FX unit to any possibly upcoming new Mac Pro. Also, in the current Mac Pro, I don't have enough PCIe slots, as the Madi FX occupies two slots, even though it only need one PCIe connector. Therefor my questions:
1) How could the Madi FX be connected to the Mac Pro via an external enclosure? Is there a PCIe card that would allow me to do that? If that is possible, would it even be possible to connect two madi FX cards via one PCIe slot or does each card need a dedicated slot?
2) The Madiface XT has USB3 and external PCIe connectivity. Is one of the two preferable?
3) Could I connect the Madiface XT via PCIe external to the 2009 Mac Pro? Is there a PCIe card with an moles apdapter?
4) For any new Mac Pro models, it seems there will certainly be only Tundernolt 3/USB type C connections like the current MacBook Pro uses. What about enclosures for these connectors with Madi FX cards? Are there any experiences in using these? And what about adaptors from TB3 to Madiface XT via external PCIe?
5) For the Madiface XT, it would be great to have the unit in the rack and be able to acces it. But I need at least 4 to 5 meters of cable length to be able to do that. Is that supported and reliable via USB 3? And is it possible via external PCIe molex cables?
There are many options, but I am just unsure which ones are safe to use, reliable and low latency. Thanks!

Re: Madiface XT or HDSPe Madi FX connection

1) https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=11282
2) No
3) Matrox makes such PCIe cards
4) https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=16182
5) Should work, to the best of my knowledge....

No option is inherently "better" than all the others, really...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks, Daniel! That helps and USB would indeed be easier to handle, so I will probably buy am Madiface XT. Is there any chance, you know a recommendable PCIe card for Mac pros with USB 3.0? I found the Sonnet Allegro Pro with 4 Ports and 4 controllers on board. I wonder if it would make sense to even have 4 Ports. I could attach some external SSDs to one or more of the other Ports, but I am not sure if that single PCIe lane does have enough bandwidth to support the Madiface XT and one or more SSDs ... if I really want to go all Madi with the external slave PCs but stick with the old Mac Pro ... could I run two Madiface XT with on one sonnet allegro (or other USB 3.0 PCIe)?

I use the MADIFACE XT on multiple Mac Pro Towers using External PCIe.

I've successfully used the Magma EEX1 PCIe PCIe (x1) Host Card as well as the Sonnet PCIe 2.0 Bus External Bus Extender Card for Qio with the XT.

I also have a Magma EB7 and it works in that no problem.

I thought,  that when comparing EPCIe to USB3,  that EPCIE was exactly the same in reliability / performance as PCIe (and thunderbolt)

From the XT manual in regards to External PCI Express:

"The XT is the first audio interface ever to use this tech- nique, that guarantees the best performance and latency available among all the existing inter- face formats (PCI, FireWire 400, FireWire 800, USB 2, USB 3)."