1 (edited by compositor1 2017-03-22 07:18:32)

Topic: Looking at the RayDAT

I am interested in the HDSPe RayDAT, since it has lower latencies when compared to the 9652 however I was under the impression that the newer PCIe versions supported TotalMix FX.

I know there is a PCIe MADI card but it is very expensive and the BabyFace only supports EQ and Dynamics as far as I am aware.

Of course there is the UC and the like that may or may not have TotalMix will full effects and routing but they are a bit out of my price range and I'm not really a fan of 1394 so will there be any future cards that have the features I am looking for?

Re: Looking at the RayDAT

The babyface has reverb and delay, just not when connected to an Ipad. No totalmixfx on the raydat.
It is relatively easy to set up a delay and reverb on the host computer using a plugin host. I use "plug and mix chainer" for that on a machine with a hdsp9632 when needed. But any host will do.
On my hdsp9652 main machine I use an Emu 1212m as fx rack trough adat. My last 1212m cost me €10.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

The Raydat and all other HDSP/e cards do have Totalmix FX with the added functionalities, but without the actual effects.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

compositor1 wrote:

I am interested in the HDSPe RayDAT, since it has lower latencies when compared to the 9652 however I was under the impression that the newer PCIe versions supported TotalMix FX.

I know there is a PCIe MADI card but it is very expensive and the BabyFace only supports EQ and Dynamics as far as I am aware.

Of course there is the UC and the like that may or may not have TotalMix will full effects and routing but they are a bit out of my price range and I'm not really a fan of 1394 so will there be any future cards that have the features I am looking for?

You even mention HDSPe MADI FX which is besides the 2 analog outputs a pure digital card to connect preamps and converters via optical medium (MADI). This confuses me a little bit...

OK .. your price range is below the UC .. but
- WHAT do your require in terms of i/o ?
- WHAT other equipment do you have which needs to be connected ?

The RayDAT is even a pure digital card.

Could it be, that you need only a device with ADAT i/o ?

Then I would look into the new Digiface USB.
http://www.rme-audio.de/products/digiface_usb.php

https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_digiface_usb.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_digiface_usb.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by compositor1 2017-03-23 01:53:10)

It's all a bit confusing, "FX" to mean no effects on some units but on other there are.

So now there are 3 recent generation internal cards, HDSP (totalmix), HDSPe (totalmix fx, but with no actual effects units) and a pure digital MADI card with full effects.

There's a BabyFace that has some effects on DSP but not reverbs as I read it but what about the BabyFace Pro?

I get that the mixer is DSP but having the " FX" moniker is rather confusing and requires one to read the manual to actually know the difference.

The Digiface says explicity it has no effects but has a Totalmix FX mixer, again confusing but at least it is stated on the product page.

Would I be correct that besides the pure digital MADI card that the only units with Effects are the Firewire versions?

Not at all. And you don't need to read the manual. FX or not is part of the product description in the catalogs, brochures and our website. Also TotalMix FX is TotalMix FX, no matter if the hardware can process effects or not, so the name can not change, it is the same software.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

And as I said I use (but don't own) the babyface (MK1) and it has on board reverb and delay, just not with an Ipad.

Vincent, Amsterdam

8 (edited by compositor1 2017-04-02 06:14:03)

Thanks for the replies.

So how would TotalMix work with the RayDAT in the case of outputs from the DAW, i.e. how many returns would be available?

Is it a simple case of how many physical outputs are available but having those routed straight to the S/PDIF port?

What I need is DSP based mixing and I believe all recent RME products do this whether they use the FX moniker or not so if there is any clarification here it would be appreciated.

P.S. The Babyface might have reverb and delay but I don't think it uses DSP, e.g. it is using the host CPU

9 (edited by ramses 2017-04-02 10:30:46)

Sorry, I have no clue what you really want / require.

> So how would TotalMix work with the RayDAT in the case of outputs from the DAW,
> i.e. how many returns would be available?

The RayDAT has 36 Hardware Inputs and 36 Hardware Outputs
Inputs:   4 x ADAT = 32 Channels IN @44.1/48
              1 x AES/EBU = 2 Channels IN
              1 x SPDIF I/O = 2 Channels IN
Ouputs: 4 x ADAT = 32 Channels OUT @44.1/48
              1 x AES/EBU = 2 Channels OUT
              1 x SPDIF I/O = 2 Channels OUT

In TotalMix FX the
- upper area "Hardware Inputs" represents the input channels of recording interface
- middle area "Software Playback" represents audio coming from Windows OS (Youtube, etc)
- lower area "Hardware Output" represents the output channels of recording interface

Audio coming in via "Hardware Inputs" is always being sent to DAW Inputs unaltered.
This is the case no matter what routing you perform in TotalMix FX.
You can bypass any form of TotalMix FX routing by using the quite new "DAW mode", to make all routing in the DAW.

TotalMix allows you to perform any to any routing, i.e.
-   to make an individual Mix of
       - Hardware Inputs and
       - Software Playback Channels (what comes from Windows OS)
    for each of the Hardware Outputs
-   to use loopback recording function by
       - routing every Hardware Input and Software Playback channel to an Hardware Output
       - enable "Loopback" on that particular Hardware Output
     then you get this Mix on the corresponding Hardware Input of that Hardware Output

I still don't know what devices you want to connect or what you finally want to achieve.

It might be a good idea to make yourself familiar with the basic operation of TotalMix, to get a better understanding about the flexibility of TotalMix FX, what it can do for you, so that you can ask maybe more specific to the capabilities of the product. Here in my blog you can find a list of actual RME Tutorial Videos, which are excellent:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

When it comes to the point of Roud Trip Latency (what the driver tells the DAW, if you look values i.e. in Cubase), then you will discover, that i.e. UFX / UFX II / UFX+ are already very close or even better compared to the RayDAT PCIe card, which still needs a preamp or converter conneced via ADAT, where you need to add the latency of AD/DA conversion additionally.

See here this table:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1931-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks once again for the information.

To clarify my purposes, currently I use 3 old Creamware cards which gives me 48 hardware channels in the box.

I am hoping to achieve something like this with a RayDAT but purely for mixing.

I have ADAT interfaces for i/o but really only want to use the S/PDIF output to go to a TC Electronic BMC-2 and Avantone monitors but I find mixing in software such as Cubase to be limited in Dynamic range hence my enquiry.

Regards

11 (edited by ramses 2017-04-02 11:28:45)

I think the RayDAT could be a good product, as you simply need many channels and something
which sends the Music digitally to digital Monitors.

What I do not understand yet, why you need to many hardware channels.

If you want to mix tracks internally in the DAW, then you can add and mix tracks as you want,
without needing an enormous amount of input and output channels.

And if you need high quality reverb and delay effects, then you would most likely choose a VST for that inside of the DAW.

Months ago the TM FX Effect quality became a facelift, so that they became better.
You can use them i.e. to make it more comfortably for a singer to sing in by adding reverbs directly at the recording device,
which is far easier than having this to do with the DAW and to route if from there to the phones channel on the device.

But if you mix and master songs in the DAW, then I would use different effects in form of VST.

Hi Ramses,

I don't use the Creamware effects since I'd have to mix in realtime and just use a send in Cubase to export mixdowns.

I've been looking at the Motu A8 and it allows you to assign multiple returns from the DAW (24 with USB, and plenty more using Thunderbolt) but I need about 48 as I prefer to have separate channels for each instrument (everything from orchestral to guitars, keys etc., all in VST) and be able to use UAD for effects without automation so latency is not so much of an issue as I use MIDI keyboards and drums.

I'd even consider a MADI card from RME if it meant a high channel count in terms of VST Connections in Cubase and that card has full effects for each channel AFAIK.

Thanks again for writing

13 (edited by ramses 2017-04-02 12:18:59)

> I don't use the Creamware effects since I'd have to mix in realtime

I mean VST effects in general no matter which vendor.
What hinders you to use VSTs as FX effect and to mix in realtime ?
What is the alternative to that ?

> and just use a send in Cubase to export mixdowns

Sorry but this I also do not understand ... what has a send in cubase to do with mixdown ?
If you have a mix, i.e. with using VSTs as effects ...
If I have my final mix with the effects in each of the tracks as required, then I do the mixdown to a file on the PC.

If you should have issues with CPU power, then you can workaround this:

1. I.e. in Cubase you can freeze tracks, so that i.e. a virtual instrument with add. VST effects is precomputed wave
but you are still able to adjust the Volume and the Pan in the mix.

2. You can use Effect Sends in Cubase where you have i.e. one particular FX, could be a reverb
and then you can use this Reverb as send effect in each of your tracks.

3. if you want to export mixdowns (plural) .. what does it mean ? Usually I mixdown a completely mixed project in total.
Do you have a special requirement as you say mixdowns ?
Do you mean grouping of instruments in a particular Project ?
You can i.e. in Cubase send several tracks into a group.

Sorry, but you still don't have me at the point where I understand
- your workflow and
- your requirements for so many output channels.

Would be kind if you could maybe raise an example and explain what you intend to do.

For nearly all of my home projects (Guitarrists) I have perhaps 10-20 Tracks in a project, also 2-3 virtual instruments,
but I only require 1 stereo output for the Monitors and maybe 1 or 2 headphone outputs.

I am mixing everything in cubase and am using VST effects (compressor, eq, reverb, delay) and also do the mastering.
Because of lazyness often in the same project (the mix).

Using a Send in Cubase allows you to export the mix, i.e. render the file without playing it back.

Creamware once had something called XTC, which allowed compiled .dll versions of their plugins to be used in a VST Host; this is no longer possible in Cubase.

I don't record (or freeze) anything since I need to be able to change and alter notation in the Key Editor of Cubase. Also, the reason for so many DAW returns is due to the fact that I'd like to separately compress everything without having to use MIDI CC's.

If RME had a card that had onboard DSP effects, then yes I would mix in realtime but for now it's just demos hence my use of UAD.

I hope I'm being a bit more clear, I really do like RME ethos but I need to know if it will work how I intend.

Cheers

> Using a Send in Cubase allows you to export the mix, i.e. render the file without playing it back.

Dont get this point. When you export a mix then it is very quickly calculated without any playbacl.

> I don't record (or freeze) anything since I need to be able to change and alter notation in the Key Editor of Cubase.
> Also, the reason for so many DAW returns is due to the fact that I'd like to separately compress everything
> without having to use MIDI CC's.

I also do not get this point .. if you do not want to freeze, then simpy dont do.
I dont understand what compression has to do with Midi CCs.
I dont understand your signal flow, sorry.
You make something very different to me, and I still do not see the key reason, why you do it this way, and what this way exactly is.

RME has no onboard DSP effects, but as far as I remember also with UAD its all not so wonderful to use DSPs in real time when mixing performance / delay wise. There were some limitations if I remember right.

I am not sure how many plugins you use that you really need DSPs ... CPUs are nowadays very powerful and the Sharks on  UAD cards are not that performant. Many people use native plugins without having sharks as "dongle".

16 (edited by compositor1 2017-04-02 22:22:16)

Ramses,

I don't have to be concerned about latency for my workflow.

I simply want to assign DAW outputs to hardware channels and route them to the S/PDIF outputs.

Maybe someone who uses Soniccore or Motu can comment.

I don't think I can make it any clearer how I work but it seems you are conflating the elements of my workflow.

Totalmix speaks about DSP mixing, so is this only in relation to physical outputs or are there hardware busses on the RME card?

It doesn't seem like a difficult question for anyone who has used the system (I haven't and don't want to buy to find out).

Best

17 (edited by ramses 2017-04-03 05:58:40)

TotalMix has FPGAs one for the mixer and one for the FX unit if there is one on the unit.
You can not download or execute VST effects on the DSP inside.
You can use the Reverbs etc for your headphone mixes and other outputs, but its only one "effect bus" where you can add all the TM FX effects which you have chosen to an output.

Otherwise somebody else need to look into this .. as I do not fully understand his questions / requirments.

> I simply want to assign DAW outputs to hardware channels and route them to the S/PDIF outputs.

One of the easiest tasks for TotalMix. But else I am with Ramses, your description is quite confusing. Especially when talking about 'returns': we have input channels (as many as hardware), software playback channels (as many as hardware) and hardware output channels. Zero 'returns' as such.

TotalMix allows for fully free routing and mixing with independent submixes on all (!) hardware output channels. You can use this flexibility for send/return purposes to insert external effects, but basically this can be done in Cubase as well.

A digital mixer can not be done without 'DSP', so all units that are supported by TotalMix have a 'DSP mixer'. But with some cards that is all you can do - mix and route channels. No EQ, no dynamics, no Echo/Reverb (RayDAT...).. So if you talk about DSP based mixing you have to make clear what you really want.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for all the replies, it has helped very much.

Matthias, from what you have said I understand that I will have as many DSP mixer channels as potential analog outputs but which can be used to mix into stereo.

I was looking at the Motu A8 and while in a different class, I am not so concerned about EQ and the like as there is now the UAD Sattelite USB and for my purposes (VST Instruments) this setup I believe will work very well.

Having said that, if I were to obtain two or more RayDAT's, would that allow me more DSP based mixer channels?

From your response, submixing on all hardware channels is what I need but I feel it would be better to do on real hardware.

I've used old Creamware cards and seemed to obtain better dynamic range but this might be subjective but I know RME have the most stable, low latency drivers in the business and I can specify a DAW so no problem there.

Cheers

Two or more RayDATs do not talk to each other internally, there is no mixer bus.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Maybe I understand you, maybe not, but if you were to mix inside cubase to stereo or all vsti's to a separate rme channel and mix that to stereo, that will sound identical (if you set all levels the same of course). Both the cubase and totalmix mixer are 100% transparent. Both have a dynamic range of +140db.
If you would use rme's analogue outs and feed them into an analogue mixer yes that would sound different (not better just different and not even that different if it is a good mixer).

Vincent, Amsterdam

22 (edited by compositor1 2017-05-04 12:32:24)

So would I be correct that were I to use either the stereo SPDIF or AES output, that I would only have 34 available "returns" from the DAW?

I know my terminology is probably lacking here but I need to know the specifics of what I can and cannot do, and while the explainations thus far have really helped with my understanding I'm still a bit unsure.

Regards

@Vinark, I have no real purpose of using the ADAT ports actually, I am just trying to find an adequate card with a DSP mixer that has enough channels; without the issues of USB and something that will last (all I read is that RME make the best gear and I don't doubt this) but the learning curve is very steep.

I hear what you are saying about the mixer, I can work with the Cubase mixer but I'd rather not, all my work is with MIDI so volumes are set very early on which I believe you were in some way referring to and as a future option, of course I could use the optical i/o. Thank you

No 36 mono returns (spdif and aes are separate). I would call them software playback channels (so 36 outputs for cubase, and also 36 inputs but I understand you don't need them) Adding another raydat will double it to some extent, but the mixers are separate (so 2 36 channel mixers) and you will have to feed the second mixer to the first with a cable (adat or spdif or AES) this will also give the clock sync for the 2 cards.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Thanks Vinark, very useful information.

So the 36 software playback channels don't corelate specifically to the fact of there being 32 ADAT i/o + stereo SPDIF + stereo AES, they are freely assignable?

I don't have a problem with using 2 mixers, in fact saying that, the Motu range I was looking at will always be 48 channels only and my old Creamware cards the same amount but is there a limit on the number of cards I can add?

Some motherboards I've seen have 4 x PCIe so this may be a possibility over time.

Yes the number for channels are identical to number of outputs but they can be mixed to whatever you want. IFAIK you can have 4 cards maximum but not 100% sure. This will also put a load on the PCIEe bus so it must be a decent PC. Last thing to keep in mind is that you can see only one mixer at a time afaik, they are all in the same window under different tabs.
Oh and I am not sure how many output channels cubase supports too, probably enough but do check!
Still I must warn you there is no difference to mixing in cubase or in RME totalmix.

Vincent, Amsterdam

26 (edited by compositor1 2017-05-04 13:05:48)

I see what you mean about mixing in Cubase as opposed to TotalMix but I'm not really interested in any of the other cards in the HDSPe (with the exception of the MADIFX) as I don't need analog.

If there was a card with TotalMix FX (with effects, I know FX is a Moniker for many things) that only had AES/SPDIF I'd buy it if it had enough hardware channels hence my using Creamware but where I am from I cannot easily obtain their newer gear and repairs would be troublesome.

Motu came the closest in that regard, while you can have 128 inputs they must be routed or "merged" into 48 but in the case of the RayDAT, 36.

Cheers

I think we (the readers) are missing a point here. If you only use one digital out, you can get the cheapest second hand rme card, like the 9632 or a new AIO pcie or indeed a raydat (they all have better drivers then motu and I do have a motu too). You would have a digital mixer in cubase that can have 500 channels if you wanted. All with no fuss. Since you are using creamware which is older stuff I must assume you haven't tried mixing in a recent version of cubase. I have mixed in cubase and in total mix and it is all identical. Plus that the eq's and fx in cubase are better or at least equal to everything in totalmix.
In your previous post you mention lack of dynamic range in cubase. Is that your reason?
What are you mixing?
Just curious.
Cheers

Vincent, Amsterdam

28 (edited by compositor1 2017-05-04 13:33:32)

Before I got Creamware, I was using Echo Layla.

I have a TC Electronic BMC-2 feeding Avantone Active MixCubes, and as far as I remember, I was using SPDIF on these.

I use only VST Instruments: Sampletank, Toontrack and VEPro 6 with Cubase 9 with UAD and at the moment SSL Duende Native.

I do notice a difference between the UAD and SSL which I attribute to DSP and I did notice a difference between the Layla and Creamware, which again while the Layla has some form of DSP it is not really the same to my ears as the creamware but I'm looking for something better.

Well UAD is very good so is duende although of course a different flavor (UAD is coloured and duende neutral). RME has no flavour and that is the intention.  Being neutral.(The fx are there for tracking mostly so you have some eq and compression while recording) Since you use the digital out to the TC it is the TC converters that have a little influence on the sound (and not the RME DA since you don't use that). If you don't like what you are hearing now and I am still not 100% sure how you work now it is not your gear except your speakers which are a very odd choice for main speakers.

Vincent, Amsterdam